Contribute
Register

Help! Sierra Build Working for 4+ Yrs Suddenly Boots to Severe Screen Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
TL;DR
- Sierra Hackintosh system that has been working with no significant problems for the past 4 years suddenly started booting into a crazy broken screen:
- Booting on Verbose:
- The OS boots with nv_disable=1
- EFI attached below

-----

Hi, I have a Sierra build that I have been using with no problems for the last 4+ years (I think i built it around 2017?) suddenly gave me extreme screen distortion on boot, that I have been trying to fix from morning to night for the last 3 days to no avail. I tried to figure things out on my own through guides on here because I didn't want to waste anyone's time with my problems but I finally realized I need help from people who actually know what they are doing.

The screen break can be seen in the first video on the TLDR
The OS actually boots when I set nv_disable=1 with intel graphics with low res and flicking/screen tearing so I figured it's a graphics related problem (but more on this a bit later)
I posed the system booting into Verbose above in the second video in the TLDR (I have no idea how to read this, I hope this helps someone see what the issue is)
The boot is so slow because I have Carbon Copy Clonered my main OS to a backup external HDD after I encountered this issue which I am booting from now.

One breakthrough I've had - after a day of trying to fix this issue I realized I was not knowledgable enough to fix this and used a backup I had from 2 months ago that I could boot into to overwrite into my main SSD. Before this I carbon copy clonered my main broken system into an external HDD just in case.

After I copied the 2 month old backup into my main SSD, after a few reboots that actually did the exact same screen break/distortion boot. So after a lot more fiddling and updating my clover configurator, it told me that my SMBIOS needs to be updated, which I did. After this my 2 month old backup system on my main SSD, as well as my original broken system now on the external HDD were finally booting. I was so happy and thought I finally fixed the problem. (So not sure if it was a graphics problem or something in my clover settings not allowing the NVIDIA Web Driver to load properly)

My old backup system on my SSD is still booting normally (and where I am posting this from), but after a few reboots my main system on the external HDD went back to screen breaking on boot. Although I could continue to use this current system backed up from 2 months ago, I realized that I did not fix whatever the real issue was and this could happen to this current system I am using again after a short period of time.

I have attached my EFI folder, please let me know if I should include anything more

My system:
- z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
- Intel Core i7-8700K CPU 3.70Ghz
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
- MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1212)
- NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.25f06

Some Things I've Tried (but if you think I didn't do these right and should try again, let me know please):
- Update various kexts to latest versions including Lilu, deleting NvidiaGraphicsFixup and Using WhateverGreen Instead with "Change GFX0 to IGPU" Patch Disabled (This for some reason bricked my other working High Sierra OS system that was on another SSD when I booted into that with these new Kexts, and I still haven't solved this one either. It's bricked in a completely different way where it boots into a black screen with white spinning wheel in the middle like the screen I get when I shut off my system usually)
- Delete NVIDIA Web Graphics Driver and reinstall (which turned out to be complicated bc apparently the signatures on the NVIDIA web drivers have expired and I needed to expand and flatten them before being able to install them - completely out of my depth of knowledge)
- Update APFS, try another osxAptioFixDrv version in the drivers64UEFI folder
- Enabling/Disabling CSM in the BIOS
- Try checking and unchecking a bunch of different options in Clover Configurator (even watched a bunch of videos on Clover by "TechTies Ibrahim" which was recommended on the Clover Configurator official website but no avail)
- Update SMBIOS (which saw some success)
- Follow a bunchhh of different guides on here and try so many different things over the last 3 days that I did not even really understand what I was doing - I did not see anyone with my specific problem and it seems a lot of the community has moved on to newer OSes and Opencore and such

Thanks so much for reading that essay and I am soooo forever grateful to anyone who offers any kind of advice as this is my main work hackintosh that I've been accumulating important applications, plugins, etc on <3 <3

Dear mods, please let me know if there's anything wrong with the post for approval. I looked through the rules but I am new to posting so I am not sure what is not allowed on here and I will fix immediately! Thank you

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 80
  • config.plist
    8 KB · Views: 56
  • Library:Extensions.png
    Library:Extensions.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 40
TL;DR
- Sierra Hackintosh system that has been working with no significant problems for the past 4 years suddenly started booting into a crazy broken screen:
- Booting on Verbose:
- The OS boots with nv_disable=1
- EFI attached below

-----

Hi, I have a Sierra build that I have been using with no problems for the last 4+ years (I think i built it around 2017?) suddenly gave me extreme screen distortion on boot, that I have been trying to fix from morning to night for the last 3 days to no avail. I tried to figure things out on my own through guides on here because I didn't want to waste anyone's time with my problems but I finally realized I need help from people who actually know what they are doing.

The screen break can be seen in the first video on the TLDR
The OS actually boots when I set nv_disable=1 with intel graphics with low res and flicking/screen tearing so I figured it's a graphics related problem (but more on this a bit later)
I posed the system booting into Verbose above in the second video in the TLDR (I have no idea how to read this, I hope this helps someone see what the issue is)
The boot is so slow because I have Carbon Copy Clonered my main OS to a backup external HDD after I encountered this issue which I am booting from now.

One breakthrough I've had - after a day of trying to fix this issue I realized I was not knowledgable enough to fix this and used a backup I had from 2 months ago that I could boot into to overwrite into my main SSD. Before this I carbon copy clonered my main broken system into an external HDD just in case.

After I copied the 2 month old backup into my main SSD, after a few reboots that actually did the exact same screen break/distortion boot. So after a lot more fiddling and updating my clover configurator, it told me that my SMBIOS needs to be updated, which I did. After this my 2 month old backup system on my main SSD, as well as my original broken system now on the external HDD were finally booting. I was so happy and thought I finally fixed the problem. (So not sure if it was a graphics problem or something in my clover settings not allowing the NVIDIA Web Driver to load properly)

My old backup system on my SSD is still booting normally (and where I am posting this from), but after a few reboots my main system on the external HDD went back to screen breaking on boot. Although I could continue to use this current system backed up from 2 months ago, I realized that I did not fix whatever the real issue was and this could happen to this current system I am using again after a short period of time.

I have attached my EFI folder, please let me know if I should include anything more

My system:
- z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
- Intel Core i7-8700K CPU 3.70Ghz
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
- MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1212)
- NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.25f06

Some Things I've Tried (but if you think I didn't do these right and should try again, let me know please):
- Update various kexts to latest versions including Lilu, deleting NvidiaGraphicsFixup and Using WhateverGreen Instead with "Change GFX0 to IGPU" Patch Disabled (This for some reason bricked my other working High Sierra OS system that was on another SSD when I booted into that with these new Kexts, and I still haven't solved this one either. It's bricked in a completely different way where it boots into a black screen with white spinning wheel in the middle like the screen I get when I shut off my system usually)
- Delete NVIDIA Web Graphics Driver and reinstall (which turned out to be complicated bc apparently the signatures on the NVIDIA web drivers have expired and I needed to expand and flatten them before being able to install them - completely out of my depth of knowledge)
- Update APFS, try another osxAptioFixDrv version in the drivers64UEFI folder
- Enabling/Disabling CSM in the BIOS
- Try checking and unchecking a bunch of different options in Clover Configurator (even watched a bunch of videos on Clover by "TechTies Ibrahim" which was recommended on the Clover Configurator official website but no avail)
- Update SMBIOS (which saw some success)
- Follow a bunchhh of different guides on here and try so many different things over the last 3 days that I did not even really understand what I was doing - I did not see anyone with my specific problem and it seems a lot of the community has moved on to newer OSes and Opencore and such

Thanks so much for reading that essay and I am soooo forever grateful to anyone who offers any kind of advice as this is my main work hackintosh that I've been accumulating important applications, plugins, etc on <3 <3

Dear mods, please let me know if there's anything wrong with the post for approval. I looked through the rules but I am new to posting so I am not sure what is not allowed on here and I will fix immediately! Thank you

Hi, I have a Sierra build that I have been using with no problems for the last 4+ years
The web drivers' certificate has been revoked for security reasons. Don't use them anymore.
Get a supported AMD graphics card and move on. Their are many newer and more secure versions of macOS.

so this crashing is happening due to expired certificates from the web drivers? a lot of the programs I have are stable in the Sierra that I have now and do not really have any desire to update from this OS, but if getting AMD graphics card would solve this problem I will totally consider as well.

But will also wait a bit to see if anyone has any other ideas on why this might be happening. Thanks for your inputs, I am going to tentatively look for some AMD graphics cards recommended on the forum

Yes I've actually looked through this post before as I tried reinstalling my web driver and realized it wasnt installing - came across that thread and found a way to expand and flatten the web driver install pkg which allowed me to install. I am not a programmer so I was not completely aware of how dangerous or serious of a thing it is for a certificate to expire

Last edited:
so this crashing is happening due to expired certificates from the web drivers? a lot of the programs I have are stable in the Sierra that I have now and do not really have any desire to update from this OS, but if getting AMD graphics card would solve this problem I will totally consider as well.

But will also wait a bit to see if anyone has any other ideas on why this might be happening. Thanks for your inputs, I am going to tentatively look for some AMD graphics cards recommended on the forum

Yes I've actually looked through this post before as I tried reinstalling my web driver and realized it wasnt installing - came across that thread and found a way to expand and flatten the web driver install pkg which allowed me to install. I am not a programmer so I was not completely aware of how dangerous or serious of a thing it is for a certificate to expire
remove the unsupported nvidia card and use your intel graphics instead

remove the unsupported nvidia card and use your intel graphics instead
Does that entail going to my BIOS and switching initial display output to IGFX, unplugging my nvidia card, and plugging my HDMI to the motherboard HDMI port - and it will still be able to display at 2560 x 1440 resolution? When the computer boots without the NVIDIA web driver and its like 720p and flicking and screen tearing I thought thats what the screen might look like without the NVIDIA graphics card.

I don't play any games at all so I don't actually need a strong graphics card, I just purchased what was on the recommended list on this website at the time I was building and thought I needed it.

If i can just get by with motherboard graphics only perhaps that's an option until I feel the need for an entire system upgrade

sorry for all the questions, I realized I'm a bit over my head with all the technology stuff after I first built the Hackintosh and was trying to get all the kexts working, which is part of the reason i never updated my hackintosh for 4 years for the fear of breaking what was working

Does that entail going to my BIOS and switching initial display output to IGFX, unplugging my nvidia card, and plugging my HDMI to the motherboard HDMI port - and it will still be able to display at 2560 x 1440 resolution? When the computer boots without the NVIDIA web driver and its like 720p and flicking and screen tearing I thought thats what the screen might look like without the NVIDIA graphics card.

I don't play any games at all so I don't actually need a strong graphics card, I just purchased what was on the recommended list on this website at the time I was building and thought I needed it.

If i can just get by with motherboard graphics only perhaps that's an option until I feel the need for an entire system upgrade

sorry for all the questions, I realized I'm a bit over my head with all the technology stuff after I first built the Hackintosh and was trying to get all the kexts working, which is part of the reason i never updated my hackintosh for 4 years for the fear of breaking what was working
bios should recognise that there is no pci video card installed

but you can change it over in bios if you like

then turn off, remove card, plug in monitor to motherboard and boot

you will need to edit your config.plist to add in your intel graphics

also this needs to be removed:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Device</key>
                <string>IntelGFX</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>CqqqAA==</data>
            </dict>

bios should recognise that there is no pci video card installed

but you can change it over in bios if you like

then turn off, remove card, plug in monitor to motherboard and boot

you will need to edit your config.plist to add in your intel graphics

also this needs to be removed:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Device</key>
                <string>IntelGFX</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Key</key>
                <string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
                <key>Value</key>
                <data>CqqqAA==</data>
            </dict>
Thank you for handholding me through this process haha I really need it at my skill level.

So I will delete that whole section as seen in the first screen shot, and then by adding in intel graphics is it correct it assuming that I would inject intel in the graphics section of my Clover Configurator?

I am about to give it a try right now -

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 10.54.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 10.54.15 PM.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 10.54.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 10.54.59 PM.png
    161 KB · Views: 32
Thank you for handholding me through this process haha I really need it at my skill level.

So I will delete that whole section as seen in the first screen shot, and then by adding in intel graphics is it correct it assuming that I would inject intel in the graphics section of my Clover Configurator?

I am about to give it a try right now -

Thank you so much!
do not inject intel

do not inject intel
how do i accomplish the "you will need to edit your config.plist to add in your intel graphics" part?

ohh I just realized you attached the lilu and plugins thread - I will look through it now - I guess I will need to add in the whatevergreen kext as well as read through other instructions there

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back