Contribute
Register

Help needed installing Lion onto GA-Z77N-WIFI i7-3770k 16GB RAM HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry about the slow turnaround time. I don't have a lot of time for this anymore now that summer's here, and each of these things I describe below takes one to two hours, so what I describe here took me days.

So I started from scratch again, with a fresh install of OS 10.7.5 Lion onto a USB stick, ran Bridge-Helper 4.0.1 against it, booted from the stick, used Disk Utility to wipe the target SSD, installed Lion OS, rebooted to Chimera, tried to boot to the fresh Lion install just in case (no go), rebooted to Chimera again and booted the USB drive, used Terminal to delete the mach_kernel from the Lion install, rebooted to Chimera again and tried to boot the Lion install, got a "not found" error that quickly sent me back to the Chimera screen, selected the USB to boot, it took me to the fresh install new user sequence (Hallelujah!) which I skipped through until I created a user and got to the desktop.

Then I downloaded the 10.7.5 Combo update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1582) but when I went to run it against the Lion install, there was a yellow triangle over it and the message:

"Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. An error occurred while evaluating JavaScript for the package."

I haven't tried the alternate route of taking out the HD due to lack of time. I've left the Hackintosh up and running at that error page in case there's something else I can try without rebooting.

Thanks.
If you haven't already done so, run BridgeHelper 5 now that you have your user created and you are at the desktop. This will put the mach_kernel back where it belongs.
Click on the apple and "About this MAC". Does it say 10.7.5? If it does, you don't need to update.
You may also need to install/update Java - just go to Apple support downloads page and type in java in the search box. Download and install the pkg file.
Run MultiBeast for audio/networking/bootloader, etc and reboot.

Good luck to finish with a working install.

If you haven't already done so, run BridgeHelper 5 now that you have your user created and you are at the desktop. This will put the mach_kernel back where it belongs.
Click on the apple and "About this MAC". Does it say 10.7.5? If it does, you don't need to update.
You may also need to install/update Java - just go to Apple support downloads page and type in java in the search box. Download and install the pkg file.
Run MultiBeast for audio/networking/bootloader, etc and reboot.

Good luck to finish with a working install.

FINALLY!

Thank you very much for your patience.

I finally got Lion up and running on the Z77N.

Now to figure out how to update it to Mountain Lion. Any idea where to start?

Thanks again very much for your help!

FINALLY!

Thank you very much for your patience.

I finally got Lion up and running on the Z77N.

Now to figure out how to update it to Mountain Lion. Any idea where to start?

Thanks again very much for your help!

Hmm.

Perhaps I was a little premature.

I've got Lion running, but I can't boot to the SSD drive. I have to leave the USB drive in and boot from Chimera. Not quite sure what to do about that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hmm.

Perhaps I was a little premature.

I've got Lion running, but I can't boot to the SSD drive. I have to leave the USB drive in and boot from Chimera. Not quite sure what to do about that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Try downloading the chimera stand-alone installer and running it to install Chimera to the SSD.

As for updating to Mountain Lion, it starts at the app store with the purchase/download of the Install ML app.
See http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

SUMMARY

Since this was such a pain to get working, and since I got patient help, I am creating a step-by-step summary of how to get Mac OS X Lion installed on a recent 1156 Gigabyte motherboard, specifically the GA-Z77N-WIFI with an Intel i7-3770K processor, 16GB RAM and no additional video card.

My intent is to make these instructions simple enough that a complete novice, which is what I am, can do it.

However: BE ADVISED: This is NOT an easy install, it requires Terminal skills, patience, a lot of time and SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED OS X LION on a Gigabyte motherboard. You should generally consider Lion to be NOT installable on a GA-Z77 series mobo. Do not pass Go, instead proceed directly to the MOUNTAIN LION install if you can.

Hardware

I based my hardware build on the Tonymacx86 April 2013 Buyers Guide CustoMac Mini Deluxe:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/344-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-april-2013.html#mini_deluxe

I chose to swap out the supplied WiFi/Bluetooth card (which only does Bluetooth under Mac OS) for the Atheros card as recommended in the build. I need WiFi, and I can add Bluetooth later with a USB plug.

Everything else is as per the build recommendation:
CPU: Intel Corei7-3770K
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
RAM: Corsair
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
PSU:
Corsair 750 Watt Modular
SSD: Corsair 120 GB
HD: Western Digital 1GB + Western Digital 3 GB
Keyboard & Mouse: old Mac wired USB items I had lying around
Monitor: DELL reject from the recycle pile

My total came to around $1,100 with tax.

I picked the Prodigy case because it's the closest (and cutest!) PC case to a scaled-down Mac Pro case I could find.

My original intent was to build a replacement for my Mac Pro (I had pretty much given up on a new one being announced) but now Apple have announced their Chimney Pro I intend to make a kick-ass Plex media server instead, so I won't need the video card. The Bitfenix Prodigy has room for 5 traditional HDs and 5 SSDs, and the PCIe slot I was originally going to stuff a GT 680 card into will now be used for an eSATA port multiplier card.

But that's all for later: first get it up and running.

Build advice: if this is your first PC build, take it slow and be confident that everything will fit. Just don't plug the split USB cable from the front panel into both the USB 3 AND USB 2 sockets on the motherboard - it won't boot (blush). Other than that it's pretty straightforward. The shop I bought my hardware from (http://memoryexpress.com) offer a service where if you buy a mobo, ram and cpu at the same time they'll install and test them for you. That made it pretty easy.

Software

This part took me from Mid-April to Mid-June to figure out and get running, so that's why I'm writing this: to save other people time. Speaking of which, if nothing goes wrong this whole process should take about 3 hours (not 8 weeks ~= 50 hrs! which it took me).

Prepare the USB stick

Start as per the instructions given on UniBeast: Install Mac OS X Lion Using an All-In-One Bootable USB Drive :

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ca/2011/10/unibeast-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html

I'll leave out the pictures (I recommend you follow along with the original post the first time) but here's the steps just so everything is in one place:

You will need a Mac, an 8 GB or larger USB drive, and a purchased copy of Mac OS X Lion (either from the App store or on a USB stick). As of the time of writing the latest version is 10.7.5 from the Apple Store.

Using the Mac:

1. Insert USB drive​
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight USB drive in left column
4. Click Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose Master Boot Record
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later) [I called it Unibea7t to remind me it's OS 10.7.x]
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. If using the Install Mac OS X Lion Application, it must be in /Applications folder.
12. If using the Mac OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive, make sure it's plugged in and mounted.
13. Download and run UniBeast http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
14. Click Continue, Continue, Continue, Agree
15. At Destination Select, choose USB and click Continue [the pictures in the Guide are out of date, but similar enough that it doesn't matter]
16. If using the Mac App Store "Install Mac OS X Lion" App choose that option.
17. If using the Apple Store "OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive" choose that option.
18. If using a laptop, choose Laptop Support in addition to one of the above options.
19. Click Continue
20. Enter password and click Install

The process will take about 10-15 [more like 30-45] minutes, depending on system and drive speed, but will show hours. Do not unplug or stop during this time.

Now this part is not mentioned in the Guide, but came to light during the creation of this thread: Download Bridge Helper 4.0.1 and run it against the USB installer you just created:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=9

Tip: Download MultiBeast - Lion 4.7.0 and Bridge Helper 5.0.0 while you're on a fast Mac and copy them onto the installer USB drive: there should be room, and networking on the target PC will be s-l-o-w until optimized drivers are installed.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3

Also, download the Mac OS X Combo Update 10.7.5 while you're at it. If it fits, put that on the USB drive too, or onto a spare if you have one lying around:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1582

Install Mac OS X Lion

You're almost done! All you need to do is boot from the USB drive and install! Your hard drive should be set in BIOS to AHCI mode. For recommended BIOS settings and screenshots, check out iBoot + MultiBeast. [As a modern mobo, the Z77H defaults should be fine]

On with the provided intructions:

1. If you have a Gigabyte motherboard press F12 to choose boot device.​
2. Choose USB
3. At Chimera Boot Screen, choose USB
4. When you arrive at the Installer, choose language.
5. In the top menubar choose Utilities, and open Disk Utility
6. Highlight your target hard drive for the Lion installation in left column.
7. Click Partition tab
8. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
9. Click Options...
10. Choose GUID Partition Method
11. Under Name: type Lion (You can rename it later)
12. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
13. Click Apply then Partition
14. Close Disk Utility
15. When the installer asks you where to install, choose Lion

From here THIS IS DIFFERENT from the install Guide

1. Reboot to the Chimera USB installer. You should now have a choice of USB or Lion
2. Choose USB and wait until you get to the Installer, choose language.​
3. In the top menubar choose Terminal. We are going to use it to delete the mach_kernel on the new install
4. Type
Code:
rm /Volumes/Lion/mach_kernel
If that makes you nervous,
Code:
cd /Volumes/Lion
Code:
ls -alF
for a list, then
Code:
rm mach_kernel
. Do another
Code:
ls -alF
to confirm mach_kernel is gone
5. Select Restart from the Apple menu and reboot to the Chimera interface
6. This time choose Lion to boot. You will get a "not found" error and quickly go back to the Chimera interface
7. Choose USB to boot, and it should quickly take you to the new user interface
8. Click through, filling it out as you prefer, create a new user (remember the password!) (I usually make my first user Admin -MyLastName-) and it will take you to the desktop.
9. Find BridgeHelper 5.0.0 on your USB drive (or download it from Tonymacx86) and run it. This should put mach_kernel back where it belongs.
10. Select About This Mac... from the Apple menu. If it says 10.7.5 you're fine, otherwise find the combo update you downloaded earlier and run it (or re-download it).
11. Go to Apple's site and download and install the latest version of Java. As of this writing it was Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_45:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
12: Find MultiBeast - Lion 4.7.0 on your USB drive (or download it from Tonymacx86) and run it.
I used the settings I found here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-z77n-wifi-16gb-ram-500gb-ssd-ati-6670-a.html
(You can't link to a specific post in this forum, so go to the first one in the thread.)
13. Download and run the latest Chimera (2.1 as I type this)​

The results are finally this:

From a cold restart I get the Gigabyte splash screen followed by a Chimera splash screen. A progress bar counts down backwards from right to left, then it goes to the Mac spash screen with a progress spinner. In a short while it boots to the Mac desktop.

I have not tested any further than that. I know WiFi, Ethernet, and the hack all run, and it boots. No idea of benchmarks or power management or audio. Because my intent is to install Mountain Lion, I'n not going to do any testing, I'm just going to move on.

Remember my advice: don't even bother with this - go straight to a Mountain Lion install unless you absolutely cannot. Or just buy a real Mac.

I wish I had been able to run ML. I'll never get back the 50 hours it took to get this running, and it would have been MUCH cheaper just to bite the bullet and buy the Mountain Lion USB stick (my Mac hardware is too old to run ML so the Mac App Store wouldn't let me buy it - that's why I decided to start with Lion, so I could get an install that would let me buy Mountain Lion; the wrong decision in retrospect). USA Federal Minimum wage (I earn more and I'm not in the USA, but it's the lowest in the developed world so I'm picking it here as the baseline example) is $7.25. I should have put the $362.50 + $1,100 hardware toward an actual Macintosh instead of what I did do. Unless your time is free, I would recommend you do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back