Contribute
Register

Help needed installing Lion onto GA-Z77N-WIFI i7-3770k 16GB RAM HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lion cannot be installed on GA-Z77N-WIFI i7-3770k 16GB RAM HD4000

So unless someone can point me somewhere to the contrary, the Powers That Be should note that Lion and the GA-Z77n-WIFI Rev 1.0 mobo do not work together. This should probably be posted somewhere on the buyer's guide list.

This, of course, says nothing about Mountain Lion. I have not been able to test that.

So much for my pretty Prodigy build...

You have to remember that Mountain Lion came out before Ivy Bridge. Did you run Bridge Helper V4.0 pointed at your USB drive before you Installed?

Did you delete the mach_kernel from the installed 10.7.x root and copy it from the USB to the root?

Hint - easy way:
Create the UniBeast USB installer.
Run bridge helper 4.0.1 first ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=9 ), pointed at the UniBeast USB installer.
Install with UniBeast to your HDD in the PC-Mac. It will reboot and give you errors - no problem. Shutdown. Remove the HDD.
Connect the HD to your Mac and delete the mach_kernel from from root in Finder. You might need to show all files. Be very careful here to get the HDD and not your Mac.
Copy the mach_kernel from the UniBeast USB to the HDD root to replace the one you deleted.
Eject your HDD and put it back in the PC-Mac.
Boot it with the UniBeast, select your HDD and hit enter.
Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, it boots to desktop. That is, it does if you have done everything right.

Once you hit the desktop, run BridgeHelper 5.00 and MultiBeast. Reboot.

Enjoy.

You have to remember that Mountain Lion came out before Ivy Bridge. Did you run Bridge Helper V4.0 pointed at your USB drive before you Installed?

Because I have old hardware I can't buy Mountain Lion, so I'm trying to install Lion, so this is doubly true. However when I looked at Bridge Helper it explicitly says for OS 10.7.4 ONLY, and the current version of Mac OS is 10.7.5 so I ignored it.

Hint - easy way:
Create the UniBeast USB installer.
Run bridge helper 4.0.1 first ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=9 ), pointed at the UniBeast USB installer.
Install with UniBeast to your HDD in the PC-Mac. It will reboot and give you errors - no problem. Shutdown. Remove the HDD.
Connect the HD to your Mac and delete the mach_kernel from from root in Finder. You might need to show all files. Be very careful here to get the HDD and not your Mac.
Copy the mach_kernel from the UniBeast USB to the HDD root to replace the one you deleted.
Eject your HDD and put it back in the PC-Mac.
Boot it with the UniBeast, select your HDD and hit enter.
Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, it boots to desktop. That is, it does if you have done everything right.

Once you hit the desktop, run BridgeHelper 5.00 and MultiBeast. Reboot.

Thank you. This advice has gotten me farther than anything else did. I was able to format the HD, install Mac OS, reboot to the HD, go through the install, create a user account, and boot to the desktop. Although WIFi wasn't working, I put BridgeHelper and MultiBeast onto another USB stick and installed them along with the appropriate DSDT file.

However.

I haven't gotten things working. When I reboot I get a boot0: error

I found "boot0 error: The Official Guide"
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=61081&start=20

But it's not a guide, it's a thread, and it's 79 posts long, and I can't find an actual answer in all the noise. Is there a summary somewhere? Or one post out of the 79 I should re-examine?

Thanks.

I haven't gotten things working. When I reboot I get a boot0: error

I found "boot0 error: The Official Guide"
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=61081&start=20

But it's not a guide, it's a thread, and it's 79 posts long, and I can't find an actual answer in all the noise. Is there a summary somewhere? Or one post out of the 79 I should re-examine?

Thanks.

The easiest way to fix this is to connect it either internally to an existing PC-Mac or externally to a PC-Mac or a Mac. If you boot your Mac, Run MultiBeast AND MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE LOCATION OF INSTALL to your new HDD/SSD. Can't stress this enough for a real Mac, so be very careful - you do not want to install Chimera on your Mac.

Alternatively, you can extract the boot files from the UniBeast USB and place them on a separate USB drive, burn a LiveDVD of a Linux distro, boot it, open a terminal and copy them onto the HDD the long way - see http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

The easiest way to fix this is to connect it either internally to an existing PC-Mac or externally to a PC-Mac or a Mac. If you boot your Mac, Run MultiBeast AND MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE LOCATION OF INSTALL to your new HDD/SSD. Can't stress this enough for a real Mac, so be very careful - you do not want to install Chimera on your Mac.

Sadly, this is not possible. The MultiBeast installer skips right over the Destination Select pane. It goes straight from License to Installation Select. Does not give you a chance to select a destination. I would be ecstatic if it did, because...

Alternatively, you can extract the boot files from the UniBeast USB and place them on a separate USB drive, burn a LiveDVD of a Linux distro, boot it, open a terminal and copy them onto the HDD the long way - see http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

You just pointed me to a separate forum and another thread with 72 posts and no clear instructions.

Is this really true? There is no simple answer to this? The 4k sector problem hasn't been addressed in a 'Beast? This is not a simple install.

And I vehemently assert that descending into wandering threads of over 70 posts is not simple. Burning LiveDVD distros of Linux to solve this problem is not simple. Ending up having to have this conversation when following the TonyMacX86 CustoMac Mini Deluxe build guide to the letter is not simple.

This brings me back to what I said earlier:

Lion cannot be (easily) installed on GA-Z77N-WIFI i7-3770k 16GB RAM HD4000 (and should not be attempted)

It may technically be possible for those with l33t Linux skills, but it sure should not be posted as a recommended build.

I am very sad.

Sadly, this is not possible. The MultiBeast installer skips right over the Destination Select pane. It goes straight from License to Installation Select. Does not give you a chance to select a destination. I would be ecstatic if it did, because...

You just pointed me to a separate forum and another thread with 72 posts and no clear instructions.

Is this really true? There is no simple answer to this? The 4k sector problem hasn't been addressed in a 'Beast? This is not a simple install.

And I vehemently assert that descending into wandering threads of over 70 posts is not simple. Burning LiveDVD distros of Linux to solve this problem is not simple. Ending up having to have this conversation when following the TonyMacX86 CustoMac Mini Deluxe build guide to the letter is not simple.

This brings me back to what I said earlier:

Lion cannot be (easily) installed on GA-Z77N-WIFI i7-3770k 16GB RAM HD4000 (and should not be attempted)

It may technically be possible for those with l33t Linux skills, but it sure should not be posted as a recommended build.

I am very sad.

OK, try it another way. With your UniBeast installer, boot and install per my previous post. At the first reboot with UniBeast after install, it won't boot to desktop, right?
So, select the UniBeast installer again and hit enter. At the install screen, select Utilities->Terminal and, assuming you have named your partition Lion, type in

rm /Volumes/Lion/mach_kernel

and hit enter. If you named your partition something else, substitute your partition name for Lion in the command above. This deletes the mach kernel from your HDD/SSD. Exit terminal, exit the installer, reboot with UniBeast.

At the Chimera screen again, select your HDD/SSD icon and hit enter. It will give you a mach_kernel not found error and take you back to the Chimera screen.
Immediately select the UniBeast icon and hit enter. If it works the way it did for me it should boot to desktop. Before you do anything else, run BridgeHelper 5.0.
Run MultiBeast User DSDT/DSDT Free, select your audio and LAN kexts and install. Run Disk Utility and repair permissions. Eject UniBeast USB and remove it. Reboot.

Enjoy.

At the Chimera screen again, select your HDD/SSD icon and hit enter. It will give you a mach_kernel not found error and take you back to the Chimera screen.
Immediately select the UniBeast icon and hit enter. If it works the way it did for me it should boot to desktop. Before you do anything else, run BridgeHelper 5.0.
Run MultiBeast User DSDT/DSDT Free, select your audio and LAN kexts and install. Run Disk Utility and repair permissions. Eject UniBeast USB and remove it. Reboot.

Hmm. It takes so long to go through the install procedure I thought I'd try and shortcut. I got to the Terminal stage and deleted the mach_kernel on the HD (a 1TB drive) then rebooted to Chimera and selected the HD drive to boot.

Close.

This is weird, however: booting from the HD got to the desktop, which I did not think could happen without the mach_kernel, but the video was messed up. From the mess on the screen I was able to guess that it was a login screen, and I logged in with the pw I set for the default username. The screen was still messed up, but I was able to Cmd-Space which fires up Spotlight and then type in "BridgeHelper" to try and launch it. After that, I couldn't interpret the screen any more, or do anything useful, so I shut down.

So as an experiment, I rebooted using Unibeast, and ran through the installer process until I got to Terminal. This time, I copied the kernel from the USB stick to the HD:

cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Lion/

Which did not throw an error, so I assumed it went well and rebooted again, this time to the HD.

However, when I rebooted into the HD partition, it got to the login screen again, but the video is still messed up. I can log in even though I can't see the login screen, but after that I can't do anything without the video working.

This feels like progress, but until I can get the video (the built-in HD4000 that the i7-3770k/Z77N provides) to work I don't know what to do next.

[Followup] - since my way was not what you recommended, I went back to your original post and tried your method:
UniBeast patched by Bridge Helper 4.0.1 on USB stick
Install to HD, remove HD from Hackintosh mount on Macbook
Remove mach_kernel from HD, replace with mach_kernel from USB in the Mac Finder with show invisibles turned on
Replace HD and USB in Hackintosh, reboot and select HD
[at this point I got a "not found" error so I quit trying]

So I don't really see a way forward. As far as I can see, Lion can't be installed on my hardware.

BUT!

That's not my goal: my goal is to get MOUNTAIN Lion installed.

So... It occurred to me I can't get MtnLion on my Mac because it's too old, but...

I started from scratch and redid the install again, to where I was able to boot to the HD BEFORE running MultiBeast, and instead used my Apple ID to buy a copy of Mountain Lion (very, very slow without optimised drivers). I then downloaded UniBeast for Mountain Lion (NOT rebooting) and used it to install MtnLion onto another USB drive. So now I have a USB Unibeast installer for MtnLion. I quit again and rebooted using it.

So now I can boot to the new installer and use it to install Mountain Lion on the 1 TB HD. (By the way, this is MUCH faster than the Lion USB - by a huge factor. The ML UniBeast boots to the install screen in a couple of minutes, not 45.).

Following the Tonymacx86 Mountain Lion install guide, I set the Z77N mobo defaults as per the thread there and did the install as said. This also goes much faster, less than 20 mins, not an hour.

Reboot the the UniBeast, select the new Mountain Lion install, and....

Spinning progress wheel. Nothing more. I left it overnight just in case this part was slow, but no.

So I used an SSD 120 GB and installed MtnLion to that instead.

Same result. UniBeast installs the OS really quickly btw. But it still won't boot. All I get is the Apple logo screen with the spinning progress indicator.

Now I'm baffled. I don't know where to go from here. I've tested the hardware by doing a Ubuntu install. Everything works (including WiFi) under Ubuntu. But I can't seem to get this to boot to Mac OS.

Any idea what I can try next?

Are you able to get to the OS X install screen with the ML UniBeast USB?
Precisely where does it hang up and quit responding?

Are you able to get to the OS X install screen with the ML UniBeast USB?
Precisely where does it hang up and quit responding?

Almost immediately. I boot to Chimera, it gives me the choice of USB or ML, I select ML, the screen goes black, the screen goes white, the Apple logo appears, the progress spinner appears, and that's it.

When I do it verbose, I get this:

2013-06-08 22.20.41.jpg

In case it doesn't work, same as: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng1podphulzlj2g/2013-06-08 22.20.41.jpg

Almost immediately. I boot to Chimera, it gives me the choice of USB or ML, I select ML, the screen goes black, the screen goes white, the Apple logo appears, the progress spinner appears, and that's it.

OK, again.
You have installed Lion and it wants to reboot, and the reboot fails - normal.
Boot with the USB installer and select it to get to a terminal and delete the mach_kernel
Exit the USB installer and reboot.
At the Chimera screen select the LION partition and hit enter - mach kernel error occurs and return you to the Chimera screen.
Select the USB installer and hit enter. It should take you to the desktop. Immediately download and run the 10.7.5 update (combo) and run Bridge-Helper 5.0.0

Alternate.
Connect Lion install that failed to boot to your Mac. Delete the mach_kernel on your Lion drive.
Connect the USB installer. Copy the mach kernel from the installer to the Lion drive.
Put the Lion drive back in your PC-Mac and boot it from the USB installer.
Select the Lion icon. It should take you to the desktop.
Immediately download and run the 10.7.5 update (combo)

Does this work?

OK, again.
You have installed Lion and it wants to reboot, and the reboot fails - normal.
Boot with the USB installer and select it to get to a terminal and delete the mach_kernel
Exit the USB installer and reboot.
At the Chimera screen select the LION partition and hit enter - mach kernel error occurs and return you to the Chimera screen.
Select the USB installer and hit enter. It should take you to the desktop. Immediately download and run the 10.7.5 update (combo) and run Bridge-Helper 5.0.0

Does this work?

I'm really sorry about the slow turnaround time. I don't have a lot of time for this anymore now that summer's here, and each of these things I describe below takes one to two hours, so what I describe here took me days.

So I started from scratch again, with a fresh install of OS 10.7.5 Lion onto a USB stick, ran Bridge-Helper 4.0.1 against it, booted from the stick, used Disk Utility to wipe the target SSD, installed Lion OS, rebooted to Chimera, tried to boot to the fresh Lion install just in case (no go), rebooted to Chimera again and booted the USB drive, used Terminal to delete the mach_kernel from the Lion install, rebooted to Chimera again and tried to boot the Lion install, got a "not found" error that quickly sent me back to the Chimera screen, selected the USB to boot, it took me to the fresh install new user sequence (Hallelujah!) which I skipped through until I created a user and got to the desktop.

Then I downloaded the 10.7.5 Combo update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1582) but when I went to run it against the Lion install, there was a yellow triangle over it and the message:

"Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. An error occurred while evaluating JavaScript for the package."

I haven't tried the alternate route of taking out the HD due to lack of time. I've left the Hackintosh up and running at that error page in case there's something else I can try without rebooting.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back