CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Running out of ideas with this one and getting to a point where I could use help from more experienced Hack builders.

Problem: Fresh install of Ventura, boots up fine with HD530 iGPU but can't get acceleration to work and VRAM shows 18Mb. VDADecoderChecker shows error -12473. The Amazon Prime trailer worked fine in Chrome.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 11.38.31 AM.png

Hardware:
  • Gigabyte z170X UD5 TH - It has a single physical HDMI port (no DP, no DVI) that I am using
  • i7-6700K (Skylake, not overclocked)
  • 32Gb DDR4 RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16Gb 2133 C13 (Running Profile 1)
  • Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD wireless card
  • no dGPU, no odd hardware attached, only a very generic USB Keyboard/Mouse and 2 SATA drives.
Software:
  • Ventura 13.4 (clean install of 13.3 + sw up)
  • OpenCore 0.9.2
  • WhateverGreen 1.6.4, Lilu 1.6.4
BIOS (F22g):
  • Windows 8/10: Other OS
  • Initial Display Output: IGFX
  • Above 4G Decoding: Enabled
  • Intel PTT: Disabled
  • VT-d: Enabled
  • Internal Graphics: Enabled
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: MAX
  • There's no CFG Lock option in my BIOS
EFI is attached.

Everything else seems to work except the aforementioned video acceleration and VRAM (and HDMI Audio, but I'll get onto that later once this iGPU issue is sorted out)

What I tried so far:
  • Followed Dortania Skylake guide, set ig-platform-id to 00001259 and SMBIOS to iMac18,1 - successful boot with no video accel/low VRAM
  • Tried various other combos of device-ids and ig-platformids to no avail. The result is either same as above (i.e. boots up but no accel/VRAM) or black screen
  • Hackintool shows all three connectors are DP (how does it boot up if I only have HDMI?) so I tried the following framebuffer patches - black screen followed
    Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10.57.02.png
  • Tried various boot-args -disablegfxfirmware -igfxsklaskbl -wegnoegpu lilucpu=9 igfxonln=1 Basically, grasping at straws at this point.
  • Tried playing with DVMT preallocated values, no luck.
My thoughts on what's happening
  • I'm assuming, based on some successful reports, that the closest Kaby Lake iGPU to my HD530 is HD630 (i7-7700K) with device-id 0x5912 according to Intel, but maybe my assumption is wrong? I tried a few others from WhateverGreen IntelHD FAQ but perhaps there's a specific one I should use?
  • If HD630 (ig-platform-id=00001259, device-id=12590000) is indeed the right device, then it must be the connector type? But changing con-0 and con1 type had no effect. Am I not doing the patching right?
  • Finally, there might be something completely obvious that I'm missing (idk some basic kext missing or smth that level of dumb).
Ideas? Suggestions? Insults? All are welcome!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 340
Have you tried adding AAPL,GfxYTile with Data value <01 00 00 00> to the DeviceProperties in your config.plist?

When you tried an alternative Desktop Kaby Lake Framebuffer did you also change the Device ID to match the alternative framebuffer?

AAPL,ig-platform-id > Data > 07002659
device-id
> Data > 26590000

As an example.

When you don't have any con0 or con1 entries in your config.plist, how does your system IOReg &/or Hackintool . Patch > Connectors tab show the HDMI display out connector being connected?

Try this:
So this one results in black screen. Removing device-id works but then no accel/vram.

Have you tried adding AAPL,GfxYTile with Data value <01 00 00 00> to the DeviceProperties in your config.plist?
I just tried with the above with what @pastrychef suggest above but it didn't seem to make any difference.

When you tried an alternative Desktop Kaby Lake Framebuffer did you also change the Device ID to match the alternative framebuffer?
I tried some but not sure if I tried the right one. For example, using device-id=12590000 with ig-platform-id=00001659 gives me a black screen. I would expect 12590000 to work as a HD630 on KBL but it doesn't.

When you don't have any con0 or con1 entries in your config.plist, how does your system IOReg &/or Hackintool . Patch > Connectors tab show the HDMI display out connector being connected?

Hm.. I'm not seeing anything in IOReg (I expected to see connector-type property here):
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 5.15.06 PM.png

Hackintool shows the following (booted with only ig-platform-id=00001659, GFXyTile, and no device-id):
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 5.18.00 PM.png

So I did some more experimentation and found that using iMac18,2 SMBIOS and ig-platform-id=00001259 and deviceid=1250000 actually get me 1536Mb and full acceleration! Yay! There's just one tiny problem - the colors are... all borked. I don't even know how to describe it, there's a weird blue-ish tint, it's like they are inverted or smth. I almost thought this was a bad cable, but replacing a cable didn't help, and reverting settings fixes the colors at the expense of acceleration. Here's what it looks like:

PXL_20230523_014551389~2.jpg

Here's what I tried so far to fix the colors:
  • Checked connections, tried a different cable, monitor port
  • AAPL,GfxYTile - this results in a very different black screen, where I can only see the mouse cursor. There's definitely HDMI signal because the cursor and I can move it
  • Various other framebuffers and deviceids, as expected some don't work at all, some work but with similar results
  • enable-hdmi2.0, framebuffer-patch-enable, framebuffer-con{0-3}-enable, framebuffer-con{0-3}-type=00080000 neither of those had any effect.
To make things more puzzling, Hackintool shows DP, but IOReg correctly shows HDMI:
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.57.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Have a read of this post in the WhateverGreen bug tracker thread

The colour banding is a Kaby Lake issue that occurs for some framebuffers. The fix was to use the SKL device-id, which is useless in your case.

Welp... I guess I'm SOL with iMac18,2.

Any hope for getting it on iMac18.1? No color issues there but also haven't been able to get the acceleration working.

As you don't have a discrete GPU I don't see any reason why the iMac18,1 SMBIOS wouldn't work. It is probably the best match for your IGPU only system.

When you cycle through testing each KBL framebuffer and device-id, are you using the ResetNvramEntry.efi tool to clear any old/incorrect entries from your system Nvram? If not I would recommend you do so when testing with the iMac18,1 SMBIOS.

FYI the iMac18,1 uses Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 processor, which has a device-id of 0x5926.

Bit more information:

The KBL Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 processor, has the following attributes.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 18.35.38.png

As you can see this framebuffer supports an LVDS and 2 x DP connectors. So your motherboard with the HDMI connector at con2 would most likely need a patched framebuffer to work correctly. This guide shows you how to create a patched framebuffer.

The framebuffer recommended by @pastrychef (0001659), is the only KBL Desktop framebuffer to natively support a HDMI connector, it also matches with your motherboard in that the HDMI connector is con2.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 18.35.24.png

My Dell OptiPlex 3050 SFF (Kaby Lake) i5-7500/HD630 Hack uses the iMac18,1 SMBIOS along with 0x59120000 framebuffer and device-id. So using that framebuffer and device-id with the iMac18,1 SMBIOS might be worth a try on your SKL system.
Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 19.19.24.png

It uses 3 x DP connectors, so again may need editing/patching to get it working correctly with your HD530 IGPU.

I used the frame buffer I recommended with my HP ProDesk G3 which only has two DisplayPort connectors and both ports work. I used iMac18,1 system definition.

Last edited:
Back