CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
I have also found this subject rather confusing.

From what I can tell not having Continuity/Handoff support means you don't have WiFi. Which means you're likely plugging in via an ethernet port. So if you have both Wifi and Bluetooth working, you have Continuity/Handoff support.

As far as I know the TP-Link card gives you Wifi, but not Bluetooth. And the Bluetooth dongles don't work because Continuity/Handoff looks for Bluetooth over PCI Express.

Is this correct?
Continuity/handoff has nothing to do with whether or not you connect WiFI to the internet or not or whether you are paired with a BT keyboard/mouse/other BT device. It has to do with moving your connection from your mobile device to your desktop/laptop PC - "handing off" what you were doing on your iPhone or iPad to the PC in effect or vice versa.
You can have WiFi and BT and no C&HO and have no problems at all. You just will not have the total "Apple Experience".
If you do not have an iPhone or an iPad then do not worry about it.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

Continuity/handoff has nothing to do with whether or not you connect WiFI to the internet or not or whether you are paired with a BT keyboard/mouse/other BT device. It has to do with moving your connection from your mobile device to your desktop/laptop PC - "handing off" what you were doing on your iPhone or iPad to the PC in effect or vice versa.
Didn't say you had to be connected or paired. I said WiFi and Bluetooth have to be working over PCI Express. As far as I know Apple has a hardwired restriction that it has to be done with hardware. Using an Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD/BCM943602CS/etc is the easiest thing to do, but it's not always possible. Like with a Mini ITX board where you want to use a graphics card.

I've read in numerous places an M.2 combo card with a Broadcom chipset (BCM94352Z) work with Continuity/Handoff w/ some patching. Some of the newer chipsets don't, but in those cases Wifi/Bluetooth don't work at all for other purposes either.

I haven't come across any PCIe/M.2 combo cards that aren't Broadcom that work at all, even for internet or pairing. That's due to a lack of drivers though.

You can have WiFi and BT and no C&HO and have no problems at all. You just will not have the total "Apple Experience".
If you do not have an iPhone or an iPad then do not worry about it.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681
The only situation I know of where that happens is with a TP-Link PCIe Wifi card (Airdrop over Wifi works) and a USB bluetooth dongle (doesn't work because it's not a "hardware device"). Are there other situations where WiFi and Bluetooth are working over PCIe with no C&HO support? There are a lot of topics with varying information, so I could have missed something.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI
CPU
I5-6600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I got Handoff/continuity working with TP link T6E archer and USB Asus BT400 / Gmyle, etc. Just needed a kext patch and voila

Motherboard
ASrock z370 Fatal1ty Gaming mini-ITX/ac
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.7GHz (4.7GHz Turbo)
Graphics
Intel UHD630/Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I just ordered this Fenvi Wireless & bluetooth PCI-e card from Amazon.de. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01K4EANNK/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

I did some research and apparently it should work on a hackintosh out of the box, just connect the internal USB cable from the card to the mobo. The card should arrive withint the next two weeks. If it doesn't work, gonna try a different one.

Motherboard
GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
MacBook, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I just ordered this Fenvi Wireless & bluetooth PCI-e card from Amazon.de. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01K4EANNK/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

I did some research and apparently it should work on a hackintosh out of the box, just connect the internal USB cable from the card to the mobo. The card should arrive withint the next two weeks. If it doesn't work, gonna try a different one.
I have the exact same one as that wouldn't work in my H97M-D3H desktop.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 745
I have the exact same one as that wouldn't work in my H97M-D3H desktop.
I also have something similar to that but mine has a 4th antennae connection. I have no problems with it.

Motherboard
GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
MacBook, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I also have something similar to that but mine has a 4th antennae connection. I have no problems with it.
Some motherboards just don't like having those Fenvi Adaptors in a PCI-E x16 slot.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 745
Some motherboards just don't like having those Fenvi Adaptors in a PCI-E x16 slot.

I remember reading that this adapter works only on PCIe x1 slots. Thats where I have mine plugged into. The 1st time I tried I plugged in the x16 and it didn't work.