Contribute
Register

Handoff/Continuity Hardware List, 2016

T

timothyirvine

Howdy howdy howdy,

I just spent over an hour trawling the very long, detailed, and now meandering and unclear 41+ pages of the sticky post about how to work on Continuity/Handoff Wifi+BT support. I also read a half dozen other posts by people who seem to be just as confused as me.

It would be nice if this post could become an as-simple-as-possible list of the necessary hardware for Handoff/Continuity - or if someone could reply with a link to the equivalent. Again, the above-linked sticky post is very long, spans over 2+ years of troubleshooting, and isn't clear.

I have two questions that may seem obvious but remain unanswered by any post in the forums (as far as I could tell).

(1) What SPECIFIC HARDWARE COMPONENTS ARE NECESSARY for a working Wifi+BT, including Continuity/Handoff, on a Skylake / El Capitan Hackintosh?

Can one buy only one of these cheaper parts, like this Fenvi (Special use) Wireless WiFi Card to Desktop PC PIC-E Adapter Converter ?

Or, does one have to buy:
  • a converter, AND ALSO
  • a wireless card, which is then somehow attached to the converter? (and also a BT dongle?)
I keep reading posts like "you can buy them separately and assembly them yourself" but that's not very clear, folks.
Where could one find the instructions for how to purchase and assemble (if necessary) a wireless card AND an adapter (AND a BT dongle..?)?

(2) What SPECIFIC HARDWARE COMPONENTS CAN ONE BUY for an OOB working Wifi+BT Continuity/Handoff on a Skylake / El Capitan Hackintosh?

The Buyer's Guide still lists this TP-LINK N900 wireless card and this IO Gear BT 4.0 Dongle as the recommended Wifi+BT hardware. If those two do not support Handoff/Continuity, then that seems to be out-of-date hardware now, right?

Currently it looks like OSXWifi.com sells a single, pre-assembled, $100+ part, PC/Hackintosh - Handoff and Continuity Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD, but they may have terrible customer service. Also, it's unclear by looking at the images if that product for $100+ is different than the Fenvi $25 product. I assume they are, but it's possible Fenvi is just dirt cheap and an all-in-one?

The Amazon vendor Huasijie used to sell pre-assembled parts, but that vendor appears to be defunct as of 2016 September. Previous links to their pre-assembled stuff are no longer relevant.

Thank you!

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1 BIOS F7
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
I have the Fenvi adapter with an Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD iMac WiFI/BT card (both bought from Amazon.com) in a build with an MSI H77M G43 and i5 3570K and it work just fine. Also tested it in the X58A build in my sig.
The only problem I see is that the card seems to be hard to find today - Amazon.com now only has the European version, which does not work in the US.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
T

timothyirvine

Hi folks,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this. I appreciate your thoughts - as I'm sure others with the same or similar issues do, to.

Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing answers to these questions:
"
does one have to buy:
  • a converter, AND ALSO
  • a wireless card, which is then somehow attached to the converter? (and also a BT dongle?)
Where could one find the instructions for how to purchase and assemble (if necessary) a wireless card AND an adapter (AND a BT dongle..?)?

"

As well as:
"
The Buyer's Guide still lists this TP-LINK N900 wireless card and this IO Gear BT 4.0 Dongle as the recommended Wifi+BT hardware.
If those two do not support Handoff/Continuity, then that seems to be out-of-date hardware now, right?

"

It seems like, if one wants Handoff/Continuity Wifi+BT, then the above TP-Link N900 and IO Gear BT Dongle are no longer necessary or useful hardware.
Can somebody please answer those questions?

Thanks again.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Yes, you need the converter and wireless card. You can purchase one that is already assembled. They are more expensive but it saves you the trouble of doing it yourself. If it's hackintosh compatible then no, you don't need a USB BT dongle.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM94360CD-Dual-Band-1750Mbps-802-11AC-PCi-E-WiFi-Adapter-Bluetooth-4-0/302000482894

I have not purchased or tried this one, just showing it as an example. Do your own research into what sellers would be the most reliable.

T

timothyirvine

Yes, you need the converter and wireless card...If it's hackintosh compatible then no, you don't need a USB BT dongle.
THANK YOU!

Thank you also for this example.
Confusion appears when some product descriptions seem to say they are only one or the other, or both, but with varying consistency in descriptions across products and vendors.

Final clarifications needed (anyone?)

"
The Buyer's Guide still lists this TP-LINK N900 wireless card and this IO Gear BT 4.0 Dongle as the recommended Wifi+BT hardware.
If those two do not support Handoff/Continuity, then that seems to be out-of-date hardware now, right?

"

It seems like, if one wants Handoff/Continuity Wifi+BT, then the above TP-Link N900 and IO Gear BT Dongle are no longer necessary or useful hardware.

Unless an adapter can be combined with the TP-Link N900 (which I haven't seen any posts state...?) the only network card one should be buying is a pre-assembled combination card, like the above-linked Broadcom BCM94360CD Dual-Band 1750Mbps 802.11AC PCi-E WiFi Adapter Bluetooth 4.0.

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1 BIOS F7
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
That links to a BCM94331CD, not a BCM94360CD, model.
The BCM94331CD is an older model supporting only 802.11 a/b/g/n and BT4.0 while the BCM94360CD also supports the faster 802.11 ac + BT4.0

I have also found this subject rather confusing.

From what I can tell not having Continuity/Handoff support means you don't have WiFi. Which means you're likely plugging in via an ethernet port. So if you have both Wifi and Bluetooth working, you have Continuity/Handoff support.

As far as I know the TP-Link card gives you Wifi, but not Bluetooth. And the Bluetooth dongles don't work because Continuity/Handoff looks for Bluetooth over PCI Express.

Is this correct?