Contribute
Register

Hackintosh freezes at beginning of progress bar (Clover -> Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce NVIDIA GTX 960 WF2OC 4 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,
I hope I am right with the topic in this thread.

I am just building my first Hackintosh and having problems with starting via clover.
I am always stuck just at the beginning of the progress bar below the apple.
I want to install MacOs Sierra with Clover from an Lexar 128 GB USB drive.

After reading a lot, I tried diverse boot options like "npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1" or "PCIRoot=1". I turned on the safe mode but it still freezes just at the beginning of the progress bar.
I set the bios options, I changed the USB slot of the stick from front to back and since I thought it might be the graphics card, I removed it and changed to internal graphics. But it still freezes at the same point. Sometimes one line more or less but still around the same. I attached some photos of the point it freezes.

My configuration is:

- Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz
- Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Mainboard
- Ballistix Sport LT 64GB RAM
- Gigabyte GeForce NVIDIA GTX 960 WindForce2OC
- Samsung EVO 850 1 TB SSD

After almost surrendering, I flipped and tried a lot of different Clover options and with these checked, it finally progressed and let me install MacOS Sierra:
- usb ownership
- usb injection
- cpu halt enabler
- graphics injectEDID

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?!

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Jan

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,783
  • IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,435
  • IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,402
  • IMG_3539.JPG
    IMG_3539.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,311
Am I reading correctly that you solved the issue by setting the options listed at the end of your message?
- usb ownership
- usb injection
- cpu halt enabler
- graphics injectEDID

Yep. Yesterday I narrowed it down to the both USB options. With those set it always works.

I was having the same issue (asus Z170-A / i5 6600), and those options worked for me, too. Thanks !
I did run into another issue where the installer doesn't see my SSD (or sata controller) once I get to the install menu in Sierra, but at least I'm getting to that point now.

If the SSD is brand new, you need to create a partition first in order for it to be seen on the installation screen.
Start the disc utility (from the main menu on the top), select the SSD (that should be shown there) and delete/create a partition "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". That should work and the SSD should show afterwards.

> Start the disc utility (from the main menu on the top),

I'm not in front of the hackintosh right now, so I can't look, but do you mean there is a disk utility in clover? Or do you mean the mac disk utility inside OSX? This is a brand new PC, so there is no OS installed on it at the moment.

I mean the one built in OS X. You will get access to it once you reach the part where you need to select where to install the OS.

For me, after agreeing to the OSX license terms, etc, it comes to a screen where it asks me to choose a disk to install Sierra on. However, the only one visible is the USB stick that I am installing from. The SSD doesn't show up. Are you saying there should be a menu there that allows you to create partitions and then that the disk will show up?

Hmm -- I guess I overlooked this in the install instructions:

6. For a new installation of macOS, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing.

a. In the top menu bar choose Utilities, and open Disk Utility
b. Highlight your target drive for the Sierra installation in left column.
c. Click Erase button
d. For Name: type Sierra (You can rename it later)
e. For Format: choose OS X Extended (Journaled)
f. For Scheme: choose GUID Partition Map
g. Click Erase
h. Close Disk Utility

However, I don't remember seeing a menu at the top. Maybe it was off the screen due to scaling issues. I'll check again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back