Contribute
Register

[Guide] Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
@owenlars I have some good news, I swapped my SSD to slot 2 in preparation for the wifi module (didn't want to buy 4 extender cables) and ran some speed tests. In Windows 10 and macOS, the drive performed identical. So I have the adapter, module, (shorter) cables coming so hopefully I'll be up and running with wifi by the end of the month :) Thank you for your guide and help!

@owenlars I have some good news, I swapped my SSD to slot 2 in preparation for the wifi module (didn't want to buy 4 extender cables) and ran some speed tests. In Windows 10 and macOS, the drive performed identical. So I have the adapter, module, (shorter) cables coming so hopefully I'll be up and running with wifi by the end of the month :) Thank you for your guide and help!
@kingfoot Hi! Good news! Have you test read and write speeds then? How many mb/s? Or you just tried general performance? Thank you.

I’m pretty sure I disabled it, anyway reading that thread I found out that updates can re-enable it. maybe it was that or maybe I forgot that after a reinstall. I was thinking about the update because I never had that problem in 3 weeks and suddenly after 1 week from the update it happened. Thanks a lot for your hint though!

@kingfoot @owenlars I'm afraid to say that the 2nd M2 SSD slot is x2 lane only.
http://en.miui.com/thread-1455088-1-1.html
This is what I thought, although I was never completely sure. There seems to be conflicting information online. Some people say 2x and some say 4x. I played it safe and kept my SSD in slot 1. I think I saw one YouTube video where they suggested that slot 2 was being slowed down by a bug in the BIOS which gave 2x performance, and you could unlock full 4x performance if you update the BIOS to the latest version. I don't know how true that is, haven't tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I thought, although I was never completely sure. There seems to be conflicting information online. Some people say 2x and some say 4x. I played it safe and kept my SSD in slot 1. I think I saw one YouTube video where they suggested that slot 2 was being slowed down by a bug in the BIOS which gave 2x performance, and you could unlock full 4x performance if you update the BIOS to the latest version. I don't know how true that is, haven't tried.
Yeah, but the bios update fixes the 1st SSD port, the second one seems to be x2.

I'm on bios 502. I was using crystal disk, forget the numbers right now but I wasn't really comparing to the disk's rated speed, I was comparing between the OSs and slots. I did a Win10 and macOS 10.13.4 speed test in slot 1/2 and they came out nearly identical in all 4 tests, at a speed I was happy with. So even if slot 2 was only 2x, I don't see it being any significant bottleneck.

Edit: I was using CrystalDiskMark on Windows and BlackMagic Disk Speed on macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back