CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K [SkyLake]
Graphics
MSI Radeon RX 480 [8Gigs]
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X (not the reference) is now working on macOS Sierra with full acceleration!
To make it work you need to:
1. install the macOS Sierra 10.12.2 public beta
2. go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/, open info.plist and replace "0x67FF1002" to "0x67DF1002"
3. run Kext Utility (download Kext Utility.app.zip) and wait until the access rights restored
4. reboot, go to BIOS>Peripherals, and set the Initial Display Output in "IGFX", then go to the section Chipset and set the Internal Graphics in "Auto"
5. save, reboot, and wait a few minutes (you must set the partition "Macintosh HD" by default and turn on timer in Clover) and you will see a login screen!
And more: in "About This Mac" will be displayed "AMD R9 xxx". To fix this, do the following:
1. download app "iHex" from App Store
2. go to /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9500Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/
3. open the file "AMD9500Controller" with iHex
4. find (Edit>Find) text "xxx" and replace text "R9 xxx" to "RX 480"
5. run Kext Utility and wait until the access rights restored
6. reboot!
That's all, good luck!)
[All that I have written refers to mobo Gigabyte Z170 D3H - on other motherboards names may differ]
UPD: It also works on 10.12.1
Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 17.20.59.png

Last edited:
There are easier ways than this, one involves using FakeSMC, the other spoofing the id in clover like in picture. I use 0F, FF worked too and didnt see any difference in performance between those too either.

And the performance of the GPU is not similar to windows RX480 performance, specially in OpenCL tests (over 30% slower). I guess it's because we use wrong drivers lol, the AMD Pro gpus in MBP have less compute units and lower clock speeds.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 00.11.18.png

There are easier ways than this, one involves using FakeSMC, the other spoofing the id in clover like in picture. I use 0F, FF worked too and didnt see any difference in performance between those too either.

And the performance of the GPU is not similar to windows RX480 performance, specially in OpenCL tests (over 30% slower). I guess it's because we use wrong drivers lol, the AMD Pro gpus in MBP have less compute units and lower clock speeds.

View attachment 219336
I wrote about it in this topic:
Hi guys! I have an MSI RX 480 8G, Gigabyte Z170 D3H and SkyLake 6500. I have edited info.plist - 0x67E01002 replaced on 0x67DF1002, tried all the patches that are (and FakeSMC)), in general - i have tried everything and nothing does not work, but info.plist editing gave the following result:
View attachment 218483
View attachment 218484
My CustoMac just freezes when loading! How to fix it?

Idk why but RX 480 does not perform well. Other people told me that MacOS Sierra is not fully support RX 400 series yet. I ran Starcraft 2 and it has same performance as HD5870. No solutions about this problem till Apple update MacOS Sierra?

Because RX 470/480 are Ellemere family which use a different type of acceleration than Baffin family i.e. RX 460 and right now Sierra only supports Baffin acceleration which we are using for our RX 480 to get acceleration. Basically using something for something that it doesn't support or suppose to use.

So can you get full performance from the RX 480 now?

I want to buy a Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G card, it gives a lot of performance for the price.

Will I be able to fully use it in Sierra?

I just installed Sierra, and it just worked (I mean, in About This Mac it says "R9 XXX" 8192MB), didn't have to edit any kext, but I still have some graphic glitches, and launchpad is a little bit laggy.
Does this fix that?

Last edited:
I have an XFX RX 480 4GB (not the reference one) and I can confirm it works. I mean you can get macOS to load but without acceleration. If you set the onboard IGP as primary and follow this guide, acceleration works perfect. No lags, no artifacts and a load of FPS in Uningine Valley Extreme HD :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back