Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] [SUCCESS] MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X full acceleration in macOS Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I just wonder what he means 9500kext instead of 9500controller kext. I guess I have to wait till Apple officially support RX 480 since it won't gonna fully accelerate.

It was a typo they are the same thing, there is only one AMD9500ControllerKext. 9500kext is just short for the longer name. The 4100kext is really the AMD4100kext. But most refer to it as 4100kext, it's easier.

Have you tried searching the "Enabling RX 4XX cards in Sierra" thread on this forum? There's a picture guide and a recommended video to get familiar with the setup.

It was a typo they are the same thing, there is only one AMD9500ControllerKext. 9500kext is just short for the longer name. The 4100kext is really the AMD4100kext. But most refer to it as 4100kext, it's easier.

Have you tried searching the "Enabling RX 4XX cards in Sierra" thread on this forum? There's a picture guide and a recommended video to get familiar with the setup.

I already installed RX 480 8gb but it performs as same as HD5870 on Mac OS.

I already installed RX 480 8gb but it performs as same as HD5870 on Mac OS.

Mine doesn't, it kills my R9 270x which kills the 5870. It must not be getting metal support.
Is it a gigabyte model?

Mine doesn't, it kills my R9 270x which kills the 5870. It must not be getting metal support.
Is it a gigabyte model?

I get metal support and mine is XFC version. Perhaps Im using Mac Pro while others using PC.

For those that have got the RX 480 working, how is the fan management in Sierra currently? I have a silent build so want the fans to spin down when idle as some of the aftermarket cards do.

Do the fans audibly spin when not under load?

Thanks.

For those that have got the RX 480 working, how is the fan management in Sierra currently? I have a silent build so want the fans to spin down when idle as some of the aftermarket cards do.

Do the fans audibly spin when not under load?

Thanks.

The fans on the reference cards spin at idle and acclerate under load, after they cool the system down they idle again. Same as in Windows, the quietest card I tested was the MSI Gaming RX 470, it kicked up during acceleration but was very quite at idle. Aftermarket cards will be noticeably quieter.

If we set the Initial Display Output to "IGFX", we lose the ability to see the boot screen, right? How could we dual boot legacy Window 7?

have you found out how to see boot screen ? I have exactly the same issue...

have you found out how to see boot screen ? I have exactly the same issue...
In my setup, i switch my monitor output to hdmi and plug the hdmi to motherboard output then I simply go to bios set the init display to pcie and boot, f12, select Windows hdd, that's it. To switch back to Mac, I change bios to igfx, and simply unplug the hdmi, and switch the monitor to dp, and wait for my mouse to glow. By default it will go to Sierra hdd, I press enter after mouse glows. It's a bit hassle but, at least I get both working.

In my setup, i switch my monitor output to hdmi and plug the hdmi to motherboard output then I simply go to bios set the init display to pcie and boot, f12, select Windows hdd, that's it. To switch back to Mac, I change bios to igfx, and simply unplug the hdmi, and switch the monitor to dp, and wait for my mouse to glow. By default it will go to Sierra hdd, I press enter after mouse glows. It's a bit hassle but, at least I get both working.

thanks for the reply I gave a bit more detail about my problem here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx-480-gives-display-only-when-os-fully-boots-up.211257/

I haven't installed windows yet, I will do today. so I have to install windows using hdmi, then continue using by your solution? I can use it until full Polaris comes I guess.

thanks for the reply I gave a bit more detail about my problem here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx-480-gives-display-only-when-os-fully-boots-up.211257/

I haven't installed windows yet, I will do today. so I have to install windows using hdmi, then continue using by your solution? I can use it until full Polaris comes I guess.
Use whatever output your graphics card has, doesn't matter. But change the init display to auto or pcie in the bios then install Windows. I have 2 cables and 2 inputs to monitor(1 is always connected to dp), 1 dp and 1 hdmi, if I want Windows, I will connect hdmi to motherboard out and change bios init display to pcie, then, disconnect it from motherboard then boot to Windows hdd with dp connected to my graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back