Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't really had time to keep up with this thread.

But with the files you posted all looks good, but you really should post actual problem reporting files, it gives a better scope of what's going on with your set up.

I had this same issue once before, everything was correct but the trackpad didn't work. The only thing that work was doing a fresh dump of the my DSDT and SSDT's and then repatching the new DSDT with the battery and trackpad patches and then my trackpad worked. Sometimes things get changed around when you're doing a lot of work and the old versions don't work anymore.

Try that and report back with what happens.
Yea even after a fresh dump of the DSDT and SSDT's; repatching a new DSDT did not solve my problem. Still stuck with only the battery patch properly working and no trackpad control at all. I've attached a new PR file. Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this, I really appreicate it.

Attachments

• debug_32451.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
Yea even after a fresh dump of the DSDT and SSDT's; repatching a new DSDT did not solve my problem. Still stuck with only the battery patch properly working and no trackpad control at all. I've attached a new PR file. Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this, I really appreicate it.
I would bring this issue over to the I2C thread on here that's dedicated to getting the trackpad working. Everything looks good and it should be working. The only thing I can think of is because you're using the new base model Razer Blade is they used a different track pad for it. You might need to use a different I2C satellite kext.

The thread you should post in and look at is here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/page-75

I would bring this issue over to the I2C thread on here that's dedicated to getting the trackpad working. Everything looks good and it should be working. The only thing I can think of is because you're using the new base model Razer Blade is they used a different track pad for it. You might need to use a different I2C satellite kext.

The thread you should post in and look at is here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/page-75
Ok thank you. If my problem is solved there, I'll post the solution here for anyone else that might need it.

@vettz500 If I'm installing using 17G65 what do I need to change in your "Clover USB Installer"? I couldn't get a 2018 MBP to download 17G2208 and I can't get to the installer. (see attached)

Thank you!!

EDIT. I managed to install 17G65 changing the smbios to MacBook Pro 13,1 got to the desktop and everything. Now when trying to get back to 15,2 I get the stop sign and can't go any further. Also trying to boot into Mac os from clover on the USB drive takes me back to the attached image. Any other way to get 17G2208 if I don't have access to a MBP?

Attachments

• IMG_20181218_010214.jpg
    IMG_20181218_010214.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
@vettz500 If I'm installing using 17G65 what do I need to change in your "Clover USB Installer"? I couldn't get a 2018 MBP to download 17G2208 and I can't get to the installer. (see attached)

Thank you!!

EDIT. I managed to install 17G65 changing the smbios to MacBook Pro 13,1 got to the desktop and everything. Now when trying to get back to 15,2 I get the stop sign and can't go any further. Also trying to boot into Mac os from clover on the USB drive takes me back to the attached image. Any other way to get 17G2208 if I don't have access to a MBP?

The first section of the guide I posted a link to script on how to get a copy of the 2018MBP version of High Sierra. Although, you're probably better off with Mojave at this point. It has the same updates that the 2018MBP version of High Sierra does and functions the same way.
To get a copy of the 17G2208 build use the installinstallmacos.py script found here:https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

Use that script on your current installation and it will download it directly to your laptop and then all you have to do is run it. Just drag and drop the installinstallmacos.py into terminal and hit enter then follow the prompts.

As far as getting the 15,2 SIMBIOS to work with 17G65, you need to add the boot flag: -no_compat_check
Then it will be boot with a 15,2 SIMBIOS. But there's nothing wrong with running a 13,1 SIMBIOS, that's a proven stable SIMBIOS the 15,2 is still in testing, although it has been solid so far.

Far warning here, something new that we've discovered and it's related to the newer builds and the UHD630 Graphics. There is a bug with Whatevergreen and how it interacts with the UHD630 graphics, the same bug causes the 3 minute black screen upon boot up. After a while of using the laptop it will randomly Kernel Panic and freeze. The issue is currently being worked on and it's getting closer with a new version of Whatevergreen, a handful of us have been testing new updates and generating bug reports to fix the issue.
The issue is only present in the 17G2208 and later builds. The 17G65 build is not affected as you don't need to use Whatevergreen to get graphics to function properly, downfall is you will not have brightness control or sleep with the 17G65 build. We will hopefully have a fix soon.

The first section of the guide I posted a link to script on how to get a copy of the 2018MBP version of High Sierra. Although, you're probably better off with Mojave at this point. It has the same updates that the 2018MBP version of High Sierra does and functions the same way.
To get a copy of the 17G2208 build use the installinstallmacos.py script found here:https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

Use that script on your current installation and it will download it directly to your laptop and then all you have to do is run it. Just drag and drop the installinstallmacos.py into terminal and hit enter then follow the prompts.

As far as getting the 15,2 SIMBIOS to work with 17G65, you need to add the boot flag: -no_compat_check
Then it will be boot with a 15,2 SIMBIOS. But there's nothing wrong with running a 13,1 SIMBIOS, that's a proven stable SIMBIOS the 15,2 is still in testing, although it has been solid so far.

Far warning here, something new that we've discovered and it's related to the newer builds and the UHD630 Graphics. There is a bug with Whatevergreen and how it interacts with the UHD630 graphics, the same bug causes the 3 minute black screen upon boot up. After a while of using the laptop it will randomly Kernel Panic and freeze. The issue is currently being worked on and it's getting closer with a new version of Whatevergreen, a handful of us have been testing new updates and generating bug reports to fix the issue.
The issue is only present in the 17G2208 and later builds. The 17G65 build is not affected as you don't need to use Whatevergreen to get graphics to function properly, downfall is you will not have brightness control or sleep with the 17G65 build. We will hopefully have a fix soon.

I did use the installinstallmacos.py script, but at the end I get the following error, which is described in https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

If you attempt to install an incompatible version of macOS, you'll see an error similar to the following:
Code:
Making empty sparseimage...
installer: Error - ERROR_B14B14D9B7
Command '['/usr/sbin/installer', '-pkg', './content/downloads/07/20/091-95774/awldiototubemmsbocipx0ic9lj2kcu0pt/091-95774.English.dist', '-target', '/private/tmp/dmg.Hf0PHy']' returned non-zero exit status 1
Product installation failed.

Thanks for the heads up on the bug with Whatevergreen, I'll test booth 15,2 and 13,1. On my desktop hackintosh I use monitorControl https://github.com/the0neyouseek/MonitorControl to control my display brightness, is not perfect but works.

I did use the installinstallmacos.py script, but at the end I get the following error, which is described in https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

If you attempt to install an incompatible version of macOS, you'll see an error similar to the following:
Code:
Making empty sparseimage...
installer: Error - ERROR_B14B14D9B7
Command '['/usr/sbin/installer', '-pkg', './content/downloads/07/20/091-95774/awldiototubemmsbocipx0ic9lj2kcu0pt/091-95774.English.dist', '-target', '/private/tmp/dmg.Hf0PHy']' returned non-zero exit status 1
Product installation failed.

Thanks for the heads up on the bug with Whatevergreen, I'll test booth 15,2 and 13,1. On my desktop hackintosh I use monitorControl https://github.com/the0neyouseek/MonitorControl to control my display brightness, is not perfect but works.

This error will be solved if you use the 15,2 SMBIOS. It will allow download and installation then.

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank Rehabman and Vettz500 for this very well done and accurate guide.
I am French so please be lenient with my level of English.

I've had this computer for two days now and it's great. I followed this tutorial step by step and managed to install macOS Mojave from the first try. Unfortunately I have several problems that I can't solve.

The sound doesn't work at all, I followed vettz500's instructions for changing the layout id but none of them work.

Second problem, the trackpad doesn't work at all either. I have tested various tutorials including this one https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/ but nothing works.

The other problems are less important, the Caps lock light does not work even with karabiner. And iMessages doesn't work but I didn't have time to dive into the iMessages guide.

Now I hope you can help me. Thank you

Attachments

• debug_13875.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hello,

First of all I would like to thank Rehabman and Vettz500 for this very well done and accurate guide.
I am French so please be lenient with my level of English.

I've had this computer for two days now and it's great. I followed this tutorial step by step and managed to install macOS Mojave from the first try. Unfortunately I have several problems that I can't solve.

The sound doesn't work at all, I followed vettz500's instructions for changing the layout id but none of them work.

Second problem, the trackpad doesn't work at all either. I have tested various tutorials including this one https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/ but nothing works.

The other problems are less important, the Caps lock light does not work even with karabiner. And iMessages doesn't work but I didn't have time to dive into the iMessages guide.

Now I hope you can help me. Thank you

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

In your PR files, I'm seeing that you have both VoodooI2CHID.kext as well as VoodooGPIO.kext installed. You have to use one or the other, you can't use both at the same time. If you have both installed the trackpad won't work. Your IOREG isn't showing the trackpad device, this is probably because of the 2 conflicting Kexts. Test with one or the other and report back. Also, did you update the VoodooI2C.kext? if you did, make sure you follow the VoodooI2C update at the end of the guide, you have to modify the kext to make it work.

To get sound to work in Mojave, as long as you followed my guide on how to enable sound, all you should have to do is go into System-Library-Extensions and find the AppleHDA.kext and rename it to AppleHDA.bak and then rebuild Kextcache: Open terminal and type
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Reboot and sound should then work. I have to update the guide to include this step for Mojave. I've been a bit busy with other things on this laptop and haven't gotten around to it, so that's my bad.

Karabiner Elements not enabling the caps lock light in Mojave is a known issue also. Just waiting on an update from them to fix it.
iMessage should work after following the iMessage guide.

Also your english was just fine for this post!

Let me know how it goes.

Ok thank you. If my problem is solved there, I'll post the solution here for anyone else that might need it.
If you have not solved your trackpad issue can you try something for me?

In EFI-Clover-ACPI-Patched there is an SSDT named SSDT-UIAC-ALL. Make a copy of it on your desktop, delete it out and patched folder, reboot and check to see if your trackpad then works. Given that you still have the modified VoodooI2C kext as well as the 2CHID kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back