Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also want to add that I was able to make a little progress on audio in Mojave. Andres over at insanelymac helped me out to get closer. I was able to get the speakers working by setting "device-id" for PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) to 70A10000. My layout-id is 29 still. This got my speakers working, but using headphones sounds super distorted.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Also want to add that I was able to make a little progress on audio in Mojave. Andres over at insanelymac helped me out to get closer. I was able to get the speakers working by setting "device-id" for PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) to 70A10000. My layout-id is 29 still. This got my speakers working, but using headphones sounds super distorted.

The fix for Mojave Audio is to keep the layout ID address in the config.plist the same as it has been.
Navigate to System-Library-Extensions and find AppleGFXHDA.kext
Rename that kext to AppleGFXHDA.kext.bak

Reboot and audio should be working.

I just installed Mojave on a separate partition and this has solved the audio issue for now.

The fix for Mojave Audio is to keep the layout ID address in the config.plist the same as it has been.
Navigate to System-Library-Extensions and find AppleGFXHDA.kext
Rename that kext to AppleGFXHDA.kext.bak

Reboot and audio should be workingat.

I just installed Mojave on a separate partition and this has solved the audio issue for now.
That got my speakers working that way as well, but headphones still sound distorted. Can you confirm that on your side?

Thanks for going through the effort of partitioning your disk/installing Mojave! :)

Attachments

• debug_20342.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
I just updated to Mojave through App Store and audio works fine as high Sierra, speakers and jack ok, can't fix HDMI audio though.. also Nvidia Drivers doesn't work properly, tried patching drivers with https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update script, looks like nvidia web drivers are enabled but doesn't work, HDMI not working.

That got my speakers working that way as well, but headphones still sound distorted. Can you confirm that on your side?

Thanks for going through the effort of partitioning your disk/installing Mojave! :)
Both speakers and headphone out work for me with no distortion.

You might need to try and different layout-id until you find one that works for both. I had the same issue when figuring out 29 worked with my set up. Some layout-id options had working speakers and distorted headphone out, others had no working speakers but working headphone out.

Trial and error.

You could also try changing the layout-id to a different value, reboot and then changing back to 29 and reboot to see if it clears it up.

I just updated to Mojave through App Store and audio works fine as high Sierra, speakers and jack ok, can't fix HDMI audio though.. also Nvidia Drivers doesn't work properly, tried patching drivers with https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update script, looks like nvidia web drivers are enabled but doesn't work, HDMI not working.
You have a different version of the Razer Blade laptop with different audio, that would be why you didn't have an issue with the update.

As far as the Nvidia Card goes, until Nvidia releases Mojave drivers, you're going to be stuck with HDMI out not working.

You might need to try and different layout-id until you find one that works for both. I had the same issue when figuring out 29 worked with my set up. Some layout-id options had working speakers and distorted headphone out, others had no working speakers but working headphone out.

Trial and error.

You could also try changing the layout-id to a different value, reboot and then changing back to 29 and reboot to see if it clears it up.
I'll give that another go and see if a different layout-id gets me working. Another question, does your brightness value persist through reboots? It looks like the value is saved in nvram correctly, it's just not being read I guess. Does AppleBacklightFixup.kext read in that value?

I'll give that another go and see if a different layout-id gets me working. Another question, does your brightness value persist through reboots? It looks like the value is saved in nvram correctly, it's just not being read I guess. Does AppleBacklightFixup.kext read in that value?

Brightness level does not save across reboot or shutdown for me. I tried figuring this out but really didn't put much effort into it, it's been low on my priority list lol. This laptop does have an ambient light sensor and that does need to be disabled in order for the brightness level to be recalled properly. The brightness guide from RehabMan goes over disabling it. I haven't tried it yet though

Brightness level does not save across reboot or shutdown for me. I tried figuring this out but really didn't put much effort into it, it's been low on my priority list lol. This laptop does have an ambient light sensor and that does need to be disabled in order for the brightness level to be recalled properly. The brightness guide from RehabMan goes over disabling it. I haven't tried it yet though
Sounds good. Thanks for the answer! I agree its not super high priority. I may give it a shot over Thanksgiving break if I have some time.

Trial and error.

So after a bajillion restarts and going through the list of layout-ids, it ended up being that 29 was the one that worked all along :crazy:. It might have been your last suggestion of switching it to something else and then changing back. Ah well, at least all is well. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back