Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad X240 [OpenCore 0.6.7] [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is updated (OpenCore 0.7.4, and Kexts - only default) version of @Sniki build for Big Sur.
BTW. Soon Monterey update, I hope X240 will still works..
One thing that makes me mad is - Turning off the laptop on plugged HDMI Screen to dock station, makes Reset with Crash Report.
So big aur is fully working on x240 without any problem like audio and wifi or bluetooth

He

Helo there I don't know if it's fix or not but I have a fix for your brightness issu just in bios turn both options in uefi legacy boot my display is also replaced but after doing this my brightness was working instantly
Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I solved the problem. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-thinkpad-x240-opencore-0-6-7-wip.311503/post-2242029. This is my solution. I know it is more complicated but it works properly. Some minor issues make me feel uncomfortable. I always look for a more successful and comfortable opencore folder.

This is updated (OpenCore 0.7.4, and Kexts - only default) version of @Sniki build for Big Sur.
BTW. Soon Monterey update, I hope X240 will still works..
One thing that makes me mad is - Turning off the laptop on plugged HDMI Screen to dock station, makes Reset with Crash Report.
Btw thanks for your work we can still use it reduces landfills
Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I solved the problem. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-thinkpad-x240-opencore-0-6-7-wip.311503/post-2242029. This is my solution. I know it is more complicated but it works properly. Some minor issues make me feel uncomfortable. I always look for a more successful and comfortable opencore folder.
Helo brother is it possible to luse your ssdt on mine x240 or they are different

Btw thanks for your work we can still use it reduces landfills

Helo brother is it possible to luse your ssdt on mine x240 or they are different
Sure, you can try it. But i tried it long time ago, i don't know that it works or not now.

I will give a try plz can you attach your ssdt if it is available
Thanks
You can just follow my guide. I have no the copy now. You can use QtiASL(both Windows and Mac)to help you edit the file.

Hi @Sniki brightness in my x240 is not working can you find a solution for fixing this ?

Hey guys! amazing work on the EFI. but im having issues with iServices. I used @Handicap88's EFI with OC 0.7.4 and i got signed out of iMessage and Facetime. Battery works perfectly now. But I cant sign in to iServices anymore.
I switched back to Snikis Github EFI and i can sign in again. But battery readout is wrong. I think I did an oopsie. Any help with this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you @Handicap88 for the EFI configuration. I have macOS 11.6.3 installed and I am facing only one thing. On an external monitor using the miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter on the external screen I can only have native 1080p resolution (notebook display is turn off), the monitor has a resolution of 2560x1440. Should I use a docking station or you feel that this can be solved with another kext for example?

I checked Sniki configuration and on mDP -> HDMI adapter external monitor works only in 1080p. I bought a docking station hoping to get higher resolution on it. I'll tell you about the results.

Update:
I purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad UltraDock 40A2 station and on the external monitor when connected via HDMI I have 2560x1440 60Hz native resolution. I also generated a serial number following OpenCore instructions and the laptop registered and I have access to iCloud. I am also thinking of changing the memory from 4gb to 8gb.

Thanks for the EFI configuration files.

Update2:
On Displayport build-in in docking station I have resolution 2560x1440. Unfortunately on each of these ports from the docking station I experience an erroneous shutdown due to kernel panic.
USB 3.0 seems doesn't work on docking station as well.

A temporary solution may be to power down the docking station before shutting down the system. Not great but not terrible either, I would say acceptable as a workaround.

DP connection from docking station only support 2560x1440 24Hz on external display.

Update3:
I have upgraded using OCAT to OpenCore 0.7.8 with @Handicap88 configuration and it works just like the previous one so I highly recommend it.

After the update, the wifi stopped working. I think I'll ignore it because it was extremely slow anyway and I was using a wired connection, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Update4:
The update went smoothly.

Screenshot-2022-02-18-at-08-30-58.png

Update5:
Wifi is working again. I need to be more careful in future updates. Certainly the wired connection is outperforming the Intel 7260 but it's nice to have.

Here are the drivers I use:
https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm/releases/tag/v2.1.0 (You should choose versions for Big Sur.)

Update6:
A great tool for swapping key functions.
https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org

Last edited:
Update7:

I did a USB port mapping today. Overall the effect is the same which confirms the good quality of the @Handicap88's EFI.

I removed the USBPorts.kext and replaced it with the two below:

I went through the process on Windows.

List of steps:
  1. Download Windows.exe
  2. Run Windows.exe
  3. Press d (Discover Ports)
  4. Insert the USB3 "stick" into each USB port, one at a time, always wait a moment until the stick/disk is recognized by the program, then eject it and insert it into the next port
  5. When all USB ports have been used press b (Back)
  6. Press s (Select Ports and Build Kext)
  7. Press p (Enable All Populated Ports)
  8. Press k (Build UTBMap.kext)
  9. UTBMap.kext has been created
  10. It is also necessary to edit config.plist.

All in all I like the system quite a lot, I'm surprised by the consistency of the interface and the responsiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back