Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rehabman,

Do you think apple thunderbolt display can be used with a usb-c -> thunderbolt connector? Can all of the video, audio and usb data work with just one usb-c port?

Cheers

Peng

I have no Apple Thunderbolt display. I cannot predict the future. If you have one, test it and find out.

What I find strange about this report is that the display is still connected to @0.
Expected that with using the USB-C port, that it would be different from the HDMI port (your previous ioreg, that was supposedly using the HDMI port, was also connected to @0).
Are you sure the ioreg files you attached accurately represent display connected to HDMI (then) and DP (now)?

I can get the IOReg files later tonight but in the mean time, is this more convincing? I captured these quickly by logging out and swapping cables and logging back in (but I'm quite sure I saw this behavior when rebooting with the respective cables).
There appears to be two frame buffer devices, I assume the first (boot-display == true) is what's active currently? Both devices shows connector-type 00 04 00 00 (with both cables), so I'm wondering how accurate that is and where the System Information app gets the relevant connection type from?

IMG_9489.JPG

IMG_9491.JPG

I have no Apple Thunderbolt display. I cannot predict the future. If you have one, test it and find out.
I don't have it either. Just thinking to buy a apple display thunderbolt 2 (later model) or mini dp connecting(earlier model). Not sure which will work better for Hackintosh. Thanks anyway.

Peng

I can get the IOReg files later tonight but in the mean time, is this more convincing? I captured these quickly by logging out and swapping cables and logging back in (but I'm quite sure I saw this behavior when rebooting with the respective cables).
There appears to be two frame buffer devices, I assume the first (boot-display == true) is what's active currently? Both devices shows connector-type 00 04 00 00 (with both cables), so I'm wondering how accurate that is and where the System Information app gets the relevant connection type from?

View attachment 297533
View attachment 297534

I think there is confusion with the previous files you provided.
Attach new ioreg files, each that represent both scenarios (HDMI vs. USB-C->DP).

A fun little thing to share

An Apple 12+6 pin card (a BCM943602CS if the label is right) soldered to a custom kludgey m.2+USB converter card, in a NUC7i5BNH.

The converter card is based on the pinouts and other info provided in these forums. Similar to the PCI-E desktop converter cards it relies on a USB header for the Bluetooth module.

It uses both NUC built-in antennas and needs a third one, which you can see is plugged into the middle antenna port and going out the side of the case.

We are working on the next revision of the converter card, which will re-orient the USB connector to a horizontal connector. Right now you can't actually put the hard drive back in. Also, the current m.2 connector isn't quite sized properly, so the card can get bumped out of place and stop working.

I intend to share the board design and a parts list itself once the design is more reliable. I also want to say great things about OSH Park, where we had the boards made.

Continuity/Handoff features are working. I don't really care for those features, the point was to see if I could make it work in a NUC. All for funsies.

RehabMan, this was a total breeze from the software side. I enabled HS05 as an internal (0xff) port. Other than that it needed no additional plist changes, kexts, etc, during install or post-install.

It's working great so I haven't attached IORegs, but if you think they're of value to you then I'm happy to provide.

My hat goes off to you, sir, and to the rest of the community.

IMG_0433.JPG

I think there is confusion with the previous files you provided.
Attach new ioreg files, each that represent both scenarios (HDMI vs. USB-C->DP).

Would it be useful to you? Beyond a curiosity, it's mostly moot now to me since the USB-C->DP cable works as expected.

Would it be useful to you? Beyond a curiosity, it's mostly moot now to me since the USB-C->DP cable works as expected.

Yes, I want to see what the connector-type of each connector without a device connected.
Only way to see that is with an ioreg that is with the USB-C->DP and without HDMI plugged.

Hey, im still having a huge problem with Audio. At some reason, I managed to make one installation with audio and it was fine, everything worked.
This time, I attached everything you wanted.. maybe you have an idea. Would be very nice if you could help me :)

Attachments

• TuR0k-NUC.zip
    499.8 KB · Views: 103
Hey, im still having a huge problem with Audio. At some reason, I managed to make one installation with audio and it was fine, everything worked.
This time, I attached everything you wanted.. maybe you have an idea. Would be very nice if you could help me :)

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete (missing EFI/Clover).
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hi there (again)!

I'm trying to prepare for the jump to High Sierra now (currently on Sierra 10.12.6) since version 10.13.2 is out and I'm following the Major updates in the first post by @RehabMan.

I've been doing updates to the patch repositories and updated Clover, but I'm a but uncertain what ”Also update config.plist at EFI/Clover/config.plist to the latest content from the repo.” means? How exactly do I update my config.plist with the lates content from the repo? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back