Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
but I'm a but uncertain what ”Also update config.plist at EFI/Clover/config.plist to the latest content from the repo.” means? How exactly do I update my config.plist with the lates content from the repo? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious…

Read post #1, "Final config.plist".

Yes, I want to see what the connector-type of each connector without a device connected.
Only way to see that is with an ioreg that is with the USB-C->DP and without HDMI plugged.

Ok, repeated, this time I made sure the HDMI was unplugged from the NUC while the USB-C cable was in use. It would appear that the HDMI port changes from 00 04 00 00 to 00 08 00 00 in that case (unplugged).

Attachments

• nuc.dp.ioreg.zip
    566.2 KB · Views: 78
  • nuc.hdmi.ioreg.zip
    570 KB · Views: 70
Read post #1, "Final config.plist".

Aha, thanks! Then I think I'm okay. It's just that in my old config.plist (the one I've been using with Sierra) there's a lot of entries in the ”KextsToPatch” section of ”Kernel and Kext Patches”. In the new config.plist there's nothing there. But maybe this will get populated upon restart?

Thanks again, and sorry for for my ignorance.

Aha, thanks! Then I think I'm okay. It's just that in my old config.plist (the one I've been using with Sierra) there's a lot of entries in the ”KextsToPatch” section of ”Kernel and Kext Patches”. In the new config.plist there's nothing there. But maybe this will get populated upon restart?

Thanks again, and sorry for for my ignorance.

pre-install uses config_install_nuc7.plist
post-install (final) uses config_nuc7.plist.

Be sure to read the guide carefully.

Ok, repeated, this time I made sure the HDMI was unplugged from the NUC while the USB-C cable was in use. It would appear that the HDMI port changes from 00 04 00 00 to 00 08 00 00 in that case (unplugged).

The thing to figure out is why it changes when plugged in.
Will let you know if I have something to try.

The thing to figure out is why it changes when plugged in.
Will let you know if I have something to try.

I was able to reproduce the connector-type changing to <00 04 00 00> even though it is correctly patched for <00 08 00 00>. It has something to do with the re-arranging of connectors. The ig-platform-id 0x59260002 has an LVDS port as the first connector. Of course, this NUC7 does not have any LVDS, so there are two patches that limit the number of ports from 3 to 2, then moves the @1 and @2 connectors into the @0 and @1 positions.

If you disable those two patches, the HDMI will connect to @1 and connector-type <00 08 00 00> will be honored.
So, try disabling these two patches:
"0x59260002 0x59270004 2xDP, #1 of 2"
"0x59260002 0x59270004 2xDP, #2 of 2"

Then test. You can even temporarily disable the patches via Clover Options -> Binaries patching menu. In ioreg you should see your HDMI connected to @1, connector-type <00 08 00 00>. You will also see the @0 (LVDS) connector in there, but it doesn't seem to cause a problem for us here (on some computers, extra connectors cause strange lags at bootup and wake from sleep).

Report results. Wondering if having the correct (and unchanging when plugged in) connector-type helps with the 4k@60/HDMI problem.

Thanks a lot RehabMan! My NUCi5BNK works like a charm on 10.12.6

Network, Displayport, USB, general Speed.
Could't test HDMI 2.0, Thunderbolt Devices and all the Audio Isues so far. Will do in the next couple o days.

Cheers

For NVMe and 10.13, you should definitely plan to install on HFS+J instead of APFS.

I guess your recommendation is right. APFS is a source for problems. I have the NUC7I5BNK with Samsung 960 EVO 250GB running 10.13.1 and tried the 10.13.2 update via Appstore and got lost in a boot loop. 10.13.2 has a new APFS.efi which might have been the reason for that?

Finally I had to restore my TM backup of 10.13.1.

Any hints for 10.13.2 update with APFS on 960 EVO?

I guess your recommendation is right. APFS is a source for problems. I have the NUC7I5BNK with Samsung 960 EVO 250GB running 10.13.1 and tried the 10.13.2 update via Appstore and got lost in a boot loop. 10.13.2 has a new APFS.efi which might have been the reason for that?

Nothing to do with APFS.efi, TRIM, nor NMVe.
You probably forgot to install new kexts before the update, so you ended up with an incompatible Lilu.kext.

- If you have HD615/HD620/HD630 on 10.12.5+, you may need to add Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

My NUC7I5 has HD640 so I thought in my unknowingness that lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext are not needed. Everything worked so far w/o these two kexts. You can see my setup in Problem Reporting ZIP attached.

Where do I find instructions if a non-mayor-update like 10.3.2 shows up? I saw your instructions in the guide for mayor updates only.

Attachments

• Problem_Reporting_Archiv.zip
    12.4 MB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back