Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge thank you to @trs96 and everyone else who has contributed to this guide. Successfully set up system up in a couple of hours and is working beautifully.

At first I had issues with my 64gb USB 3.0 pen not showing as a boot device until I formatted as GUID, and created a 32gb partition as advised on another forum. This may be anecdotal as I probably missed a step before but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed some light.

Huge thank you to @trs96 and everyone else who has contributed to this guide. Successfully set up system up in a couple of hours and is working beautifully.

At first I had issues with my 64gb USB 3.0 pen not showing as a boot device until I formatted as GUID, and created a 32gb partition as advised on another forum. This may be anecdotal as I probably missed a step before but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed some light.
Glad the guide worked for you. The Unibeast creation guide assumes people will use a 16 GB flash drive as those are the lowest cost and widely available. Here's the way I would rewrite those instructions, my part is in red.
  • Purchase a 16GB or larger USB drive.
  • If your USB drive is 64 or 128GB in size, create a partition of less than 32GB and use that.
EDIT: I've updated Step #2 to say:
Use an 8, 16 or 32GB USB flash drive. Anything larger than 32GB in size must be partitioned to less than 32GB.
Thanks for reporting this. :thumbup:

Last edited:
It's in step #5 letter G. Also good to add Intel mausi ethernet Kext and the USB injectall kext too.
I made a new install drive and reinstalled the Mojave OS (without erasing everything and starting from scratch) and graphics are working now. I think the problem was rooted in a faulty install to begin with. Either way, thank you for taking the time to put the guide together and offer help afterward. It's a bit overwhelming to do this for the first time (for some of us) but your guide is much appreciated.

1 issue I have: is airdrop supposed to be working (I don't have a wifi card but I have a bluetooth dongle that's working with my magic mouse and with bluetooth speakers)?

Last edited:
Post a picture of it if you could.

trs96,

Here is what it looks/looked like:

Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dell DW1550 802.11ac WiFi Card Bluetooth 4.0 867Mbps

It came with the

Broadcom BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n (Dell DW1530) Mini PCIe card, but I have replaced that with Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802.11ac WiFi Card Bluetooth 4.0 867Mbps (Dell DW1550) MiniPCIe card. It plugs right into the PCI card shown.

As a test last night - I powered OFF, disconnected the SSD where my High Sierra is installed and working - and put in the old SSD where Windows 7 was installed. I formatted it, and installed Windows 10 (64-bit). It immediately recognized the WiFi and installed drivers. When it was done with the install - I had WiFi with no issues, as it wanted to connect to my home network. But searching in Windows 10 for BlueTooth - it was saying that there was no BT Controller present.

So.... HMMMMMmmmmm :think: I thought, either a bad PCIe card, or that USB header must be connected.

I will have to dig for a cable to do this (I am sure I have one here). I have boxes and boxes of old cables.

Grizz

trs96,

Also discovered last night - before the Windows 10 test - that the UPPER 2 (2.0) USB ports on the back (where there are (2) 2.0 and (2) 3.0 are not working in HS.

ALL 4 of them on the front are working, and the (2) below the NIC -- but when plgging in any USB drive into one of those 2 ports - they do nothing. No light on the Flash, and nothing detected in OS.

When I leave HS and go to BIOS with something plugged in one of them - the BIOS sees them. Windows also sees them.

So something is amiss only in HS it appears.

Grizz

I have a weird issue I can't seem to solve... I have my 7010 running perfectly except for one issue. the app store. itunes works. iMessage works. App store...not so much. I cannot login in. I try and...nothing. no errors. nothing. I try again. then it states my password is incorrect (it isn't). This process repeats. This is weird. Yes? However, it worked perfectly on the first day of creation. I dl'd O365 and Alfred from the store...hmmm. Maybe cause they're both free?

oh. I have ethernet showing up as en0. I was hard wired. I have also tried being on wireless. used the maus kext. Only thing I was confused about was the Fake SMC kexts. Was there supposed to be more than one?

Also discovered last night - before the Windows 10 test - that the UPPER 2 (2.0) USB ports on the back (where there are (2) 2.0 and (2) 3.0 are not working in HS.
I have the exact same USB port layout on my 9010 SFF and those are working with the custom USB SSDT (attached to post #1) So if you are using that they should work. Maybe try adding a new copy of the USB SSDT to your ACPI/patched folder and delete the old one. Other than that no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back