Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every fan control app I've tried has not worked on these machines. What you can do is install a 60 mm fan in the front and a hardware controller that lets you regulate the speed. iMacs that have the i7-3770 are hitting 90C temps all the time so this is not unusal when rendering large video files. It doesn't harm the CPU, it's just that the clock speed gets lowered (throttling) when temps get that high.

View attachment 418843
How are you running an RX 570 in the SFF anyway ? Not sure how that is possible.
Are you sure it's a 570 and not a 560 ?
Thanks for the info :)

I use pci-e extension cable and then I tied the gpu at side of the case using cable ties, it is messy but works.
now I change the GPU using sapphire RX 480 8GB nitro+ OC using Dell DA-2 220W adapter as GPU power source with some tweak.

I followed the guide for the Optiplex 7010 SFF.

I was able to install Mojave 10.14.6 but when booting I just arrive at a black screen with a cursor and nothing else.
Also booting takes incredibly long! I always get this message:

kextd stall[0], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'
kextd stall[1], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'

Do I need to add extra files or patches? I did have to add some drivers too. Before I couldn't even get passed

End RandomSeed +++++++++++++++

I followed the guide for the Optiplex 7010 SFF.
What CPU ? What graphics ? You can put these in your signature block.

What CPU ? What graphics ? You can put these in your signature block.

I added the details in the signature, there's no GPU apart from the onboard one.

My EFI in the attachment.

Attachments

• EFI - 7010.zip
    2 MB · Views: 181
there's no GPU apart from the onboard one.
Only partial support for HD2500 graphics. You'll need either a CPU with HD4000 or a dedicated card that works with macOS. This is all stated in the guide.
Apple has dropped all support for analog VGA connections. They also dropped support for HD2500 about five years ago. Most 7010/9010s shipped with the i5-3470 or the i7-3770. The 3470 has only the unsupported HD2500 graphics. It is easy to swap that out for an HD4000 CPU if you'd like to.

Here's a low cost card that will work in the SFF or DT Optiplex by using the LP bracket that's included.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AY7UXLE/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
How does this GPU compare to the Kepler Quadro K600, in performance?
The K600 draws more power and is faster. It's a workstation card where the GT 710 is a consumer card designed for low cost and power efficiency. I've got and used both and there isn't a lot of difference in day to day general use. Neither card can play modern games. Their main strength is powering a 4K monitor. The 710 is better for use with a 4K TV as it has HDMI 2.0. All you need is a 4K capable HDMI 2.0 cable and that's it. A K600 would need a DP to HDMI active adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back