Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

@jaymonkey,
my Vega 64 running in stock condition, no fan or OC tweaking.
My LuxMark 3.1 score looks very much like what everyone is getting, but looking at the GPU history during the test, looks like it ran full on, without any throttling. Am I correct?

Vega 64 LuxMark test.png

LuxMark Test.png

my Vega 64 running in stock condition, no fan or OC tweaking.
My LuxMark 3.1 score looks very much like what everyone is getting, but looking at the GPU history during the test, looks like it ran full on, without any throttling. Am I correct?

@HawkTron.

You can't really use Activity Monitor -> Show GPU History for that as its update frequency is far too low.

You need to monitor the die and HBM clocks directly using HWMonitor or iStat Menus (which is what i use) while running a LuxMark test (or stress test) if you see no fluctuations on the clocks then all is good.

Vega should not throttle as long as temp is below 80 Degs C.

Cheers
Jay

Hello
I'm on Mojave 10.14.6
I have a Msi Vega 56 (with whaterver green and Lilu latest versions) and default Framebuffer

I can't see GPU die on iStats menu (I can see only the temp under radeon section:)

ON IDLE
Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 12.55.41.png

Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 12.55.51.png

btw my temperature in idle is at 60/70 °C
and the fan speed are very low

if I launch Luxmark the fan start spinning really fast and keep temp on 70/80

WITH LUXMARK RUNNING

Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 12.58.02.png

is this normal?

should I try using VgTab?

(hope nothing will broke!:))

Hello
I'm on Mojave 10.14.6
I have a Msi Vega 56 (with whaterver green and Lilu latest versions) and default Framebuffer

I can't see GPU die on iStats menu (I can see only the temp under radeon section:)

ON IDLE
View attachment 422407

View attachment 422408
btw my temperature in idle is at 60/70 °C
and the fan speed are very low

if I launch Luxmark the fan start spinning really fast and keep temp on 70/80

WITH LUXMARK RUNNING

View attachment 422409

is this normal?

should I try using VgTab?

(hope nothing will broke!:))

It looks like your fan is not spinning at idle. Reference style cards should not do that.

So what you suggest?
changing framebuffer? (I tried different framebuffer, but I got fans spinning like hell)

There's really no need to mess with the framebuffer. Just let WhateverGreen do its thing.

I have a Msi Vega 56 (with whaterver green and Lilu latest versions) and default Framebuffer .. I can't see GPU die on iStats menu (I can see only the temp under radeon section.

@gino8080,

I think MacOS only monitors one temperature sensor on a Vega GPU, what your seeing in iStat Menus is the same as what I see on my Video Edit system that has Vega 64.

my temperature in idle is at 60/70 °C, and the fan speed are very low

That's is very hot for an idle temp, what is your ambient (room) temperature ?

You could try using @CMMChris's excel spread sheet to generate a custom SoftPowerPlayTable, the value that you want to adjust is called "Minimum PWM Limit" increasing this value should bump up the fans speed and help to get your idle temps down. The spreadsheet is attached to this post :-

Unfortunately VGTab does not allow you to modify this value ...

If you have question's about the spreadsheet and its use it is better that you post on that thread rather than this one.

Cheers
Jay

@gino8080,

I think MacOS only monitors one temperature sensor on a Vega GPU, what your seeing in iStat Menus is the same as what I see on my Video Edit system that has Vega 64.

That's is very hot for an idle temp, what is your ambient (room) temperature ?

You could try using @CMMChris's excel spread sheet to generate a custom SoftPowerPlayTable, the value that you want to adjust is called "Minimum PWM Limit" increasing this value should bump up the fans speed and help to get your idle temps down. The spreadsheet is attached to this post :-

Unfortunately VGTab does not allow you to modify this value ...

If you have question's about the spreadsheet and its use it is better that you post on that thread rather than this one.

Cheers
Jay

thank you very much, I'll try this approach so!

I'll measure also my room temp, and anyway I think I need another good fan into my case :rolleyes:

Hello
I have a problem.
Like you said, this method doesn't work in "not standard" graphic cards.
I own a Radeon 56 Air Booster, the blower version.
I tryed to inject the vgatab with no result and i still get the idle temperature @75° while the fan RPM stays at 70RPM

Any hint?

Back