Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

I overclocked my GPU again after giving up on it some months ago because the zero fan mode didn`t work with it. However I don`t get the 1712 mHz overclock when I`m running the heaven benchmark. I add the benchmark run and the excel sheet i used as screenshots and also my config. I hope you can tell me what I did wrong.

@TheDave,

You need to add the following keys and values to the Device Properties for the Vega :-

Code:
                <key>PP_DisableClockStretcher</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_DisableULV</key>
                <integer>1</integer>

These Device Properties unlock the Vega so that OverClocks can be applied. Copy and paste the above code to your config.plist, insert it above this line :-

Code:
                <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>

You obviously did not follow the guide correctly ... specifically look at the example in Step 6, it shows a few more keys and values selected than what I have posted above, but the above should be enough to get your OverClock working, the other keys and values shown in the Step 6 example are actually unnecessary.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the reply @jaymonkey I guess I should read more carefully. Unfortunately with the added values the GPU still doesn't exceed 1,6 GHz in Heaven while being at 70°C max.

@TheDave,

Haven is not a particularly demanding GPU Benchmark, it's over 10 years old and not a good a way to measure the performance of modern GPUs, If you open Activity Monitor and then open the GPU History Window (Top Menu -> Window -> GPU History) you will see that the GPU load is all over the place and very rarely does it use 100% GPU performance.

The best test to run that will peg the GPU at 100% while its running is LuxMark.

Direct download link :-

You can either run a single Test which takes just over 70 seconds or run a stress test that will keep the GPU at 100% until you stop it ... its way to test your GPU cooling solution.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Ok, so I tried it with Luxmark, but I still can't get above 1,6GHz. I've added all files that could be necessary to get to the reason for this problem.

@TheDave,

Your config.plist looks fine, so i'm not sure why the OC is not working.

Have you got Lilu + WhatEverGreen Installed ?

Vega GPU's will automatically down clock if the total power draw goes above a defined limit, so maybe you need to play around with the power Limits ?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I've tried to play with the power draw settings a bit, but what helped me in the end was setting the SOC to 1199mHz.

@TheDave,

Interesting ... I've never played with that setting .. I'll have a look at what it's set to on my Vega 64 LC.

Cheers
Jay

@jb007,

Your not alone, myself and everyone else with a Vega based GPU are seeing lower GeekBench compute scores in MacOS 10.14.5 .. So nothing to worry about ...

I haven't seen an official reason as to why, some speculate that it could be connected to the Intel Zombieland CPU fixes that where introduced in 10.14.5 and GeekBench is especially susceptible to it, my own theory is that prior to 10.14.5 MacOS would use IGPU + dGPU for Open-CL / Metal compute but now just uses dGPU.

Cheers
Jay

Found a GEM that I was looking for everybody including you are in the same low performance hit, not including my self 200000++ on Metal, Ok​

Found a GEM that I was looking for everybody including you are in the same low performance hit, not including my self 200000++ on Metal, Ok

@The Veterant,

I think (as do many others) that the issue lies with Geekbench rather than MacOS settings, performance in all other apps seems fine.

Out of curiosity I removed the Kamarang framebuffer injection on my rig and used the same Generic Vega Framebuffer that you are using (as can be seen in your IOREG) :-

I also tried setting FUTOMAKI as the framebuffer in my config.plist and as i suspected it had no effect as its not supported by AMD10000Controller kext and the system fell back to the same Generic Vega Framebuffer.

In both cases my Geekbench Metal score remained the same as before.

However you got the 200000+ Metal score it was not because of using the FUTOMAKI framebuffer in your config.plist, thats just incorrect and shows a lack of understanding of the AMD drivers in MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

@The Veterant,

I am not disputing that you are seeing the Metal score you posted and I would very much like to reproduce your findings but in order to fully access if you have indeed found a 'GEM' can you please generate a set of debug files, using the tool in this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

Please be sure to use the correct version of IORegistryExplorer (v2.1) as the last IOREG file you posted was generated using a different version. TMx86 only supports IOREG files generated with v2.1 which you can download from this post :-

Cheers
Jay

Back