Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

The OP has stated there will be an OpenCore guide for the 8300 posted after the GM comes out. It will use OC 0.6.3 so be looking for that.
I have read the 4 letters guide to cryptic Mac abbreviations back then. But now the two letter abbreviations give me the creeps. I'm so sorry - but the only one I can decrypt is OC (=OpenCore). But for what do OP and GM stand?

Lol I think the crazy thing is once you realize how easy it is. Its super easy. Minus the part where AppleTV still shows as a green screen but ill get that figured out lol

What I meant was its crazy how simple the Dortania guide & this guide is for getting setup with Opencore. I cant say 100% if everything is right on my setup but following this guide when it comes to the bios and kext and then using Dortania to setup your usb is super simple. All my errors came from not setting my bios to default before making changes to my bios.

Last edited:
I think the crazy thing is once you realize how easy it is. Its super easy.
How easy what is ? Please qualify your statement.

OpenCore 0.6.3 + New Kexts + Big Sur 11.0.1

Hi Folks,

I thought I would report on the new kexts: Lilu, WEG, AppleALC and VirtualSMC, the
new OpenCore 0.6.3 released today, and their performance on Big Sur 11.0.1.

My trial system is an HP 8300 with an i5-3570K (with HD4000 graphics) and an RX570 dGPU.
My system is configured as a iMacPro1,1 with the iGPU disabled.

With Big Sur and OC 0.6.2, I was already basically fully functional with the exception of AppleTV
DRM, where I get audio but a green screen video. VideoProc reports 4K H264 and HEVC. I've tried
various shikigva and agdpmod settings and its always the same with DRM. With a previously
downloaded mpg movie (The Clowns) it plays just fine in AppleTV or Quicktime, but nothing
downloaded recently works, regardless of the shiki and agdpmod settings.

With the new release kexts and OC 0.6.2, I lost the display of OpenCanopy and the display of the
Builtin Pickermode as well. My system went to black screen after the BIOS boot screen, and
came back shortly before the end of the Apple progress bar. I couldn't see anything to select my
Windows dual-boot, to reset the NVRAM, or to shutdown. Verbose mode was also black screen
with nothing visible.

I then updated to OC 0.6.3, using the latest release version. I had to add three missing keys to
my config.plist:
OCS: Missing key ForceSecureBootScheme, context <Quirks>!
OCS: Missing key CustomMemory, context <PlatformInfo>!
OCS: Missing key ForceResolution, context <Output>!

After a lot of trial and error, it looks like my config.plist was incorrect, in that I allowed "Arch" to
be "Any" for the various kexts added to the kernel, when "Arch" probably should have been set to
"x86_64".

It may be that I needed to have my UIScale set to "02" for the Builtin PickerMode, and it may be
that its necessary to do an NVRAM reset to get everything working. I had to go back to my OC 0.6.2
on the SDD with the old kexts and reset NVRAM before I got things working again on the install USB
with OC 0.6.3 and the new kexts.

My picker is now back to normal in both OpenCanopy and Builtin modes. I wish OpenCanopy was
a bit more forgiving and better explained. There's a lot of gotchas if you don't read the documentation
carefully. My DRM is still not working.

If anyone figures out how to make DRM work or specific quirks that help the HP models here, please
let us know.

It may be that I needed to have my UIScale set to "02" for the Builtin PickerMode, and it may be
that its necessary to do an NVRAM reset to get everything working. I had to go back to my OC 0.6.2
on the SDD with the old kexts and reset NVRAM before I got things working again on the install USB

I noticed this on the dortania guide. They describe it as for high def small screens. All it did was make it look big and ugly, i was thinking of setting it back to 01

My DRM is still not working.

If anyone figures out how to make DRM work or specific quirks that help the HP models here, please
let us know.
I tested the Catalina TV+ on the HP8300CMT i7-3770 RX570.
Since "OpenCore Sanity Checker" is noisy as "Enter alcid", I set [NVRAM->Add->7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82->boot-args] to "alcid=11 shikigva=80 -liludbg" without setting DeviceProperties.
In OC 0.6.1, subtitles were not displayed unless iGPU was enabled in the BIOS, but in OC 0.6.3, both Enbale and Disable are displayed.

From the content of this post, I think that TV + and SideCar may be used at the same time, but I do not have a device such as an iPad.
Would you like to test someone?

Thank you @Sniki and @trs96 for the guides. I remember buying this HP 8300 for college after Ive seen your Hackintosh guides two years ago. Anyway, mine is on OC 0.6.3 Big Sur Beta 11.0.1 working perfectly like a real Mac Pro Trash can. Do you guys think this can still be upgraded with latest macOS in the coming years?

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.09.27.png

Do you guys think this can still be upgraded with latest macOS in the coming years?
Probably, but you'd need a newer SMBIOS and an AMD graphics card. Since the 6,1 MP will be close to 8 years old next year at this time I doubt Apple will still support it. As all the 2012 iMacs, MBPs etc lost support this year at their 8 year cutoff point. I've never seen Apple support any Mac for 8 years or more. Just never happens. Average length of support is about 5-6 years. I would just keep MP 6,1 and Big Sur on it as long as you possibly can. It will still get security updates for years to come.

Last edited:
OpenCore 0.6.3 + New Kexts + Big Sur 11.0.1

My trial system is an HP 8300 with an i5-3570K (with HD4000 graphics) and an RX570 dGPU.
My system is configured as a iMacPro1,1 with the iGPU disabled.

With Big Sur and OC 0.6.2, I was already basically fully functional with the exception of AppleTV
DRM, where I get audio but a green screen video. VideoProc reports 4K H264 and HEVC. I've tried
various shikigva and agdpmod settings and its always the same with DRM. With a previously
downloaded mpg movie (The Clowns) it plays just fine in AppleTV or Quicktime, but nothing
downloaded recently works, regardless of the shiki and agdpmod settings.

With the new release kexts and OC 0.6.2, I lost the display of OpenCanopy and the display of the
Builtin Pickermode as well. My system went to black screen after the BIOS boot screen, and
came back shortly before the end of the Apple progress bar. I couldn't see anything to select my
Windows dual-boot, to reset the NVRAM, or to shutdown. Verbose mode was also black screen
with nothing visible.

I then updated to OC 0.6.3, using the latest release version. I had to add three missing keys to
my config.plist:
OCS: Missing key ForceSecureBootScheme, context <Quirks>!
OCS: Missing key CustomMemory, context <PlatformInfo>!
OCS: Missing key ForceResolution, context <Output>!

After a lot of trial and error, it looks like my config.plist was incorrect, in that I allowed "Arch" to
be "Any" for the various kexts added to the kernel, when "Arch" probably should have been set to
"x86_64".

My picker is now back to normal in both OpenCanopy and Builtin modes. I wish OpenCanopy was
a bit more forgiving and better explained. There's a lot of gotchas if you don't read the documentation
carefully. My DRM is still not working.

let us know.
Probably, but you'd need a newer SMBIOS and an AMD graphics card.
What's your prediction for how long the GT710 will be supported? I'm currently on Mojave, so I know I've got at least a few years of upgrades waiting.

Back