Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

You've got the system right:
HP 8300 with i5-3470. Integrated graphics disabled in BIOS.
RX 560
Using 2500 profile from top post (MacMini6,1)
Generated serial and UUID to get Messages working, but don't think that should be relevant here

Attachments

• SSDT.aml
    1.7 KB · Views: 61
@Sniki do you have any update on your OpenCore 8300 guide you have previously mentioned? Really looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks in advance.

So this has been a helpful guide, and I have my HP 8300 up and running. However, the fans run all the time and it is a tad loud. Thinking that it must be due to a lack of throttling /CPU states, I ran ssdtPRGen and copied the .aml file in to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. This causes it to be unable to boot. Sometimes it will reboot itself once, usually it hangs with: ioconsoleusers: gioscreenlockstate 3... displayed when booting. Removing the ssdt.aml file from the EFI partition allows me to boot fine.

I thought the ssdt.aml just described power states and capabilities of the CPU (an i5-3740 in this case), so not sure why it would interact with the graphics card. From everything I've read the message it hangs on relates to problems with graphics. That is an RX 560, and works fine without the .aml file added to EFI.

Any ideas on what the aml file could be messing up?

Lazarus,

I take it you're using Lilu and Whatevergreen, and that your problem with the fans running excessively
is for the RX 560 fans, not the case fans. You can check that Lilu is loading properly with terminal commands

kextstat | grep Lilu

and

kextstat | grep WhateverGreen

You can control the speed of the case fans from the BIOS settings. Without the power management SSDT,
you might add HWMonitor to check your CPU temperature, and confirm that your config.plist has
AppleIntelCPUPM set to YES. You can also set Generate to YES in ACPI, and the default power management
should work ok without an SSDT for power management. Sniki's terse config.plists eliminate some choices
that you see On in Clover Configurator and the Clover startup Options. Don't turn those Off.

You can check things with IORegistryExporer. If you have an AppleID, you can download it from Apple at

in the "Additional Tools for Xcode 11.4" download. In IORegistryExplorer, with IOService set in the upper left
of the Application Window, you should see X86PlatformPlugin running under CPU0@0 -> AppleACPICPU. The
Apple Graphics Power Manager, AGPMController, should be there under AGPMEnabler. On the left, scroll
down to your graphics card entries, which should be under PEGP -> IOPP -> GFX0. At the top you'll see
and AMD9500Controller, with the AMDRadeonX4000 Baffin controller underneath. Scroll down to the
framebuffers, which have names like ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@0. Under one of the framebuffers
you should see AGPM. If you highlight it on the left, you should see a Heuristic-ID of <FF FF FF FF> for
an AMD card in the right properties. If any of that is not there or you have a different Heuristic, see Toleda's
guide, and follow his terse instructions:

You can also check on your HD-2500 graphics under IGPU@2. If you highlight it and look at the properties
on the right, you should see Sniki's AAPL,ig-platform-id of <06 00 62 01> and below that, a device-id of
<52 01 00 00>. I prefer the default headless framebuffer, <07 00 62 01>, but I don't think it really
makes a difference. It is set under Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0) in the config.plist. If
you are using HD-4000 graphics with an i5-3570K or an i7-3770, you should also see AGPM in the
IGPU listings, with a different Heuristic-ID (2?). I don't think AGPM attaches to the headless IGPU.

You can also download and install the Intel Power Gadget. You should see your CPU throttling between
1.6 Ghz and turbo to a max of 3.6GHZ with the default Generate settings. When you add your SSDT
and set Generate to NO, you should see an extended range on the low end (1.5Ghz) and a lower average
over time. The CPU temp should idle in the low 30 degrees celcius. When you run a benchmark tool
like Geekbench, you'll see it throttling up more and the temperature increases. Used 8300s get a
lot of dust in the CPU fan/heatsink. You might want to carefully disassemble those, clean out the
fans and heatsink, and replace the thermal paste with a higher performance one. Take a lot of care
if you unclamp the CPU, as it is easy to bend the pins underneath and ruin the motherboard. Carefully
lubricate the CPU fan and case fan to lower noise.

There's not much more to control the RX 560 fans under macOS, but under Windows you can set up
fan profiles and better monitor its temperature and fan speed using downloadable AMD software.

I looked at your SSDT and didn't see anything wrong with it. Check things out and let us know.

Last edited:
kextstat | grep Lilu or WhateverGreen do not return anything. What is the expected output of that?

kextstat | grep Lilu or WhateverGreen do not return anything. What is the expected output of that?

If you type this you get it from the manual reference:

man kextstat

KEXTSTAT(8) BSD System Manager's Manual KEXTSTAT(8)

NAME
kextstat -- display status of loaded kernel extensions (kexts)

SYNOPSIS
kextstat [-a] [-h] [-k] [-l] [-b identifier] ...

DESCRIPTION
The kextstat utility displays the status of any kexts currently loaded in the kernel. The following information is shown for each loaded kext:

Index The load index of the kext (used to track linkage references). Gaps in the list indicate kexts that have been unloaded.

Refs The number of references to this kext by others. If nonzero, the kext cannot be unloaded.

Address The address in kernel space where the kext has been loaded.

Size The number of bytes of kernel memory that the kext occupies. If this is zero, the kext is a built-in part of the kernel that has a record as a kext for resolving depen-
dencies among kexts.

Wired The number of wired bytes of kernel memory that the kext occupies.

Architecture (if the -a option is used)
The architecture of the kext.

Name The CFBundleIdentifier of the kext.

(Version)
The CFBundleVersion of the kext.

<Linked Against>
The index numbers of all other kexts that this kext has a reference to.

OPTIONS
These options are available:

-a, -arch
Print the architecture of the kext.

-b identifier, -bundle-id identifier
Display the status of only the kext with the given bundle identifier. This option trumps the -no-kernel option; if both are given and a kernel component is specified,
its information is shown.

-h, -help
Print a help message describing each option flag and exit with a success result, regardless of any other options on the command line.

-k, -no-kernel
Don't show information for built-in components of the kernel.

-l, -list-only
Print the list of loaded kexts only and omit the header (useful for running output through text-analysis tools).

-s, -sort
Sort the list by load address.

DIAGNOSTICS
The kextstat utility exits with a status of 0 on success and with a nonzero status if an error occurs.

SEE ALSO
kextcache(8), kextd(8), kextload(8), kextunload(8), kextutil(8)

Darwin March 13, 2014 Darwin

on my system
kextstat | grep Lilu

outputs
42 5 0xffffff7f84db7000 0x29000 0x29000 as.vit9696.Lilu (1.4.4) 78F230A2-8999-38DC-9BD7-DAF332C607FC <8 6 5 3 2 1>

Similarly
kextstat | grep WhateverGreen
45 0 0xffffff7f84f83000 0x6e000 0x6e000 as.vit9696.WhateverGreen (1.3.9) 2242E013-132B-37F2-AAD9-8270225E71C8 <42 13 8 6 5 3 2 1>

Remember its case-sensitive. Are you injecting your Kexts in Clover?

Are you injecting your Kexts in Clover?
I guess not? In theory yes, but it doesn't appear that either of those two are loaded. If I grep something else, a default Apple kext for example, I get output similar to what you're showing.

My kexts are all in CLOVER/Kext/Other, but it sure doesn't look like they're being loaded. I'm not sure why, and frankly I'm surprised that everything is working without those loaded. That doesn't seem possible.

This was an upgrade from Mojave, I may just need to format and do a clean install.

I guess not? In theory yes, but it doesn't appear that either of those two are loaded. If I grep something else, a default Apple kext for example, I get output similar to what you're showing.

My kexts are all in CLOVER/Kext/Other, but it sure doesn't look like they're being loaded. I'm not sure why, and frankly I'm surprised that everything is working without those loaded. That doesn't seem possible.

This was an upgrade from Mojave, I may just need to format and do a clean install.

your config.plist has Inject set to Yes. kextstat by itself should show you all the loaded kexts.
go to acidanthera for Lilu and WhateverGreen and use the latest release version. I'm using
1.4.4 and 1.3.9 respectively.

Hi. I just bought a Hp 8300 with an i5 3470 to try my first Hackintosh ever. I was curious to know if anyone managed to run Catalina with an Nvidia Quadro K600. I am asking because to buy one would be the cheapest option, as buying an i5-3335S costs as much as a GT 710.

I was curious to know if anyone managed to run Catalina with an Nvidia Quadro K600
It should work with Catalina. Anything after that is not likely. Instead of buying a K600 for 20 USD I would buy an i5-3475S with HD4000 graphics.
Screen Shot 12.jpg

Then, when you want to upgrade past Catalina, get a supported AMD graphics card and keep using it for many more years. You can resell your 3470 and recover some of the money spent on a $22 i5-3475S.

It should work with Catalina. Anything after that is not likely. Instead of buying a K600 for 20 USD I would buy an i5-3475S with HD4000 graphics.

The problem is that I live in Europe and prices for i5s are almost double compared to the US, but yeah I could sell the other CPU. Still, I would probably spare money, since I found a K600 for just 10 bucks.
So I will consider both options, thank you for the advice!

Back