Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Welcome to the forums. First thing to do is put your hardware, CPU, Graphics and HP 8300 SFF (for motherboard entry) into your profile. Then you'll be able to get help. Put them here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/account-details

If you have HD4000 graphics from your CPU igfx you could use the onboard DisplayPort output for the install. To be honest I would wait a short time and do the install once Sniki has posted the updated guide for 10.15.2. There will be numerous important changes. You can view that info in the latest posts from Sniki above.
hi trs96
thx for your help!
And that mean that it would be better for me to wait a short time to do the installation of newer version from Sniki?
Also how many GB of the HDD should i use for installation?( i have a 250GB and 500GB.it is from my old computer since i want to save money)
The last question is that 16gb usb is that enough for installation?
AT last thx for help

And that mean that it would be better for me to wait a short time to do the installation of newer version from Sniki?
Yes, it does.
Also how many GB of the HDD should i use for installation?( i have a 250GB and 500GB
Use either one. 250 GB is more than enough space.
The last question is that 16gb usb is that enough for installation?
Perfect.

Thanks for filling out your profile. You have the exact same hardware that @Sniki does so all you do is follow his guide exactly as directed to have a fully working hack. While you're waiting for the new guide, flash the BIOS up to what you want and then set up the BIOS as directed. All of that should be the same process in the new guide.

Last edited:
Thx trs96
What i need to do now is that wait for Sniki and flash the BIOS up.Also i am waiting for the dp to hdmi line and the sata line to flash the BIOS up
Thank you so much

Last edited:
I've never heard of anyone attempting this yet. I would do the install with the RX560 and then see what works or doesn't when using it as a server without supported graphics. If you try report back the results. What I would do if using HD2500 doesn't work headless is install a Quadro 410 card for 15 dollars or install an i5-3475S for a little more than that to get working HD4000.
Well I gave it a shot. I didn't think about how the full height RX560 wouldn't fit in the SFF case even with the side panel off. But I tried it without the dGPU and discovered that when setting up the BIOS according to the guide, turning off Legacy Support gives weird graphical issues where the screen flickers and only the first left-quarter of the screen (imagine this: [1|2|3|4] ) is intermittently visible, even when going into the BIOS. Resetting BIOS to defaults or enabling Legacy Support revives the display, but that prevents me from installing macOS.

Any thoughts on what's happening?

Any thoughts on what's happening?
Using HD4000 and legacy support disabled works for the install, if you're using DP. For HD2500 you could try using a fake Intel GFX ID such as 0x12345678 and see if that helps the install.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

You might also try VGA which sometimes works for the install but not after that. Ultimately you've got to purchase a low profile gfx card to use in your SFF. Maybe a GT 710 ? Either that or buy an i5-3475S which has HD4000. When using the HP 8300 SFF as a server you're going to be better off with at least rudimentary macOS compatible graphics, even if you're running headless most of the time. A 15 dollar Quadro 410 would work nicely in the SFF. These hardly draw any power at idle and have the supported Kepler GK107 graphics chip in them. A fanless GT710 by MSI 1GB would be the most energy efficient and costs only about 40 dollars.

The other great Ebay deal for HD4000 graphics is 9 dollars for an i3-3225 CPU.

Last edited:
Using HD4000 and legacy support disabled works for the install, if you're using DP. For HD2500 you could try using a fake Intel GFX ID such as 0x12345678 and see if that helps the install.

View attachment 442183

You might also try VGA which sometimes works for the install but not after that. Ultimately you've got to purchase a low profile gfx card to use in your SFF. Maybe a GT 710 ? Either that or buy an i5-3475S which has HD4000. When using the HP 8300 SFF as a server you're going to be better off with at least rudimentary macOS compatible graphics, even if you're running headless most of the time. A 15 dollar Quadro 410 would work nicely in the SFF. These hardly draw any power at idle and have the supported Kepler GK107 graphics chip in them. A fanless GT710 by MSI 1GB would be the most energy efficient and costs only about 40 dollars.

The other great Ebay deal for HD4000 graphics is 9 dollars for an i3-3225 CPU.

I ended up setting up the HP with Xpenology since it's just going to be a file server, rather than try to figure out graphics support and purchase additional hardware. I appreciate the help @trs96 !

excellent thread!!thank you.

Guide has been updated
Changelog:
- Removed SSDT-ALC221 and CodecCommander.kext (AppleALC.kext now does support all these features natively)
- Removed SSDT-USB and USBInjectAll.kext (Now we use USBPorts.kext)
- Removed SSDT-LPC (moved the fake LPC injection into config.plist /Devices/Properties)
- Removed All config.plist /ACPI/DSDT/Patches like SAT0 to SATA, EHC1 and EHC2 to EH01 and EH02 as some were just cosmetical and some have been replaced with better alternative - kext.
- Updated the guide and cleaned up a lot of mess.
- Add some extra notes

Recommendations: a lot of stuff has been changed, so i recommend each and everyone of you to read it one more time and cleanup your setups as it is not the same as it used to be, it is much better, cleaner and smoother now.

Enjoy !

Hi Sniki,

Thank you for updating and simplifying the guide.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

About the new philosophy of installing all kexts in Clover/Kexts/Other...
1. Is it correct that the System Parameters > Injects Kexts should be set to Detect (as opposed to Inject)?
2. Will installing the Kexts there make a difference when Apple requires all Kexts to be approved
starting in February?

About power management using ssdtPRGen...
1. Do I need to drop any tables like CpuPm or Cpu0lst?
2. How do I change the settings for ssdtPRGen when using a different SMBOIS definition like iMacPro1,1?

Thanks again for your help.
Lisa

Hi Sniki,

Thank you for updating and simplifying the guide.

Can I ask a couple of questions?
You are welcome, hope you enjoy it.
Yes ofc you can.
About the new philosophy of installing all kexts in Clover/Kexts/Other...
1. Is it correct that the System Parameters > Injects Kexts should be set to Detect (as opposed to Inject)?
To be honest i get your idea and that's how it should be but the reason why i left it like that is because:
Im not sure if any kext is present on Library/Extensions and we set to "Inject", what will happen if system loads the same kext from installation and bootloader tries to inject it as well ? Probably unwanted things may happen, i have to read documentation of Clover to confirm you that, if im wrong i will change that in config.plist if not i will leave a not so everyone should remove kext installed into /Library/Extensions. Thank you for raising this important question.
2. Will installing the Kexts there make a difference when Apple requires all Kexts to be approved
starting in February?
Since macOS Catalina, installing kexts or other things into system partition has become much harder, you can't even mount File System as Read and Write unless you have SIP disabled as for as i know, even if you do that, it is not recommended.
On Rehabman era, Kexts were needed to be installed into /Library/Extensions but Bootloaders have advanced and so have kexts as well, so recently it's just better in every way to keep kexts into EFI partition only.
It doesn't touch system integrity and if any failure due to kext, you simply can drop it anytime.

As for kexts needed to be signed, well that may be another reason to not install them to /Library/Extensions anymore as well.
Not sure what will happen with kexts loaded from bootloader, i don't think they will get affected, even if they do, im sure kext developers will find a workaround soon after.
About power management using ssdtPRGen...
1. Do I need to drop any tables like CpuPm or Cpu0lst?
No, you don't need to drop any tables, you leave them as they do their job, SSDT.aml only inject the necessary additional stuff for Power Management to work under macOS, CpuPM and Cpu0Ist do their hardware related job.
2. How do I change the settings for ssdtPRGen when using a different SMBOIS definition like iMacPro1,1?
If you have already a SSDT.aml you simply remove it, reboot with the new SMBIOS and generate a new one from the script so it does get generated with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS instead.

Keep in mind that you need to do the same with USBPorts.kext
(simply search in info.plist for Macmini6,1 and replaced it with iMacPro1,1 instead for USB Ports to work correctly.

Any specific reasons why you use iMacPro1,1 - Just curious nothing else ;)
Thanks again for your help.
Lisa
You are always welcome,
It's for you people that i make this guide, to make everyones life easier with these machines.
At the same time whoever knows something that i don't seem to know, constructive suggestions are always welcome

Thanks !

Back