Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed my Wifi card is not working/recognized. It's a TP-Link TL-WDN4800. I'll generate proper problem reporting files when I can (I'm still finishing up some of the post-install tasks.)
If you installed Mojave, it's no longer supported. Some people install the Atheros wifi kext from High Sierra to get it working in Mojave. Either get the kext from a HS install or find it on this site as an attachment.

Last edited:
Trying to switch Clover boot themes without any success. All the icons are squeezed together suggesting incorrect resolution. I’ve tried everything:

Clover boot theme manager.
Playing with various settings in the GUI tab of the Clover Configurator.
Loading CsmvideoDxe driver (CC driver installs).
Editing Config.plist directly with Xcode.
Scanning though HP bios looking for a solution.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi jtsymbo,

I thought it was straight-forward to change the theme, but found it was not so
with the latest Clover (r4862), Clover Configurator (5.4.0.0), config.plist, and Xcode.
I still am not able to make the SVG theme (cesium) work.

When I installed Clover, I also installed the Clover Preference pane in System Preferences.
The Clover installation also gave me the opportunity to install themes, and I chose Black
Green Moody (the recommended BGM v1.9). The installation also provided embedded and random
themes. The themes are installed in EFI/Clover/Themes folder. Within each theme, such as
the BGM folder, there is a theme.plist which changes the display of the theme. The CsmvideoDxe
driver is not needed on my 8300, nor is nvram emulation.

I also downloaded a theme (Universe) directly from the theme database at:

for testing purposes, and installed it in a folder within EFI/Clover/Themes.

You can check if you are successfully changing the theme selection in Terminal with a

sudo nvram -x -p

command, which shows all your current nvram settings. With the theme chosen to be Universal,
the key is shown as

<key>Clover.Theme</key>
<data>
VW5pdmVyc2U=
</data>

I mounted the EFI using Clover Configurator and have opened/edited the config.plist there, or you can edit it
in Xcode.

In Clover Configurator's GUI section, I entered Universe as the theme, and set the EmbeddedThemeType
to Dark.

Alternatively, in the Xcode config.plist editor, there is a GUI dictionary with a corresponding key Theme of type String
set to Universe and a corresponding key EmbeddedThemeType of type String set to Dark.

If you have the Clover Preference Pane installed in System Preferences, you also have to set the theme there to change
the nvram setting. Go to the Clover Preference Pane's Theme tab, and it shows the EFI Folder Path. The EFI has to be mounted, and you click in that section, navigate to the EFI directory, and hit the Set EFI Directory button. You then
select the theme you desire. Most don't have a preview. If you set a new theme you will be asked for your admin
password. When you change it there, you can see the new setting has changed Clover.Theme in your nvram variables.

In Clover Configurator, the Nvram setting doesn't seem to do anything for my Clover Theme. However, the Themes
Editor does change the display of the theme for BGM and Universe, although not much seems to change for embedded.
You select the theme from one in the folder, and it shows various things about Badges, Components, Fonts, and so on.
I selected all the Badges and Components and set it to Dark for Universe. These are also settable for BGM. After you
make your selections, hit Save Theme in the lower corner, and it tells you that theme.plist data was saved successfully.
If you prefer, you can edit the theme.plist in Xcode.

I've attached my modified BGM theme.plist and Universe theme.plist if yours are corrupted. They go in the respective
theme folders.

Hope you find this helpful. I didn't try using Clover r4862's CloverThemeManager; perhaps another kind user can explain how well it works.

Best,
Lisa

Attachments

• theme.plist
    10.9 KB · Views: 121
  • theme.plist
    1.5 KB · Views: 112
Thanks Lisa. Lots of good info here.
Question: Do the themes that end with "256" require a larger monitor? (example Circla256)?

Thanks Lisa. Lots of good info here.
Question: Do the themes that end with "256" require a larger monitor? (example Circla256)?

It turns out the CloverThemeManager available in Cover r4862 or r4871 installer simplifies
updating your theme and automates almost all of the process. It also displays all the themes
with a nice preview. The 256 themes have larger 256 pixel icons.

If you start up the CloverThemeManager, it takes a little while to initialize and pops
up a window informing you of the detected boot device and you can then scroll through
the various themes, choose one you like, and hit the install button. At the bottom of the
control window, it gives you options to update your nvram and config files to select the
theme. It also offers a prediction as to what theme will appear in your next boot.

Just swapped in some memory to test and found the HP recognises it (correctly) as 1800Mhz memory (shows 1777Mhz in sys information) , I think it is also running at the higher speed.

Nicksoph,

Please let us know how it works out. I see Crucial lists 1866 Mhz DDR3-14900 memory as
8300 SFF compatible:

but haven't tried it. All of Crucial's listings are for 1.35 V memory, but I have been buying 1.5 V DDR3 PC3-12800.
I wonder if it makes a difference.

Can you see improved memory scores in Geekbench 4?

Will get back to you on Geekbench Scores -
Page 82 of the HP manual below says 1.5v, 1600Mhz - I suspect the speed would also be reliant on BIOS version but I looked thru the text relating to the BIOS updates and didnt see any mention of memory speed.

Last edited:
All of Crucial's listings are for 1.35 V memory, but I have been buying 1.5 V DDR3 PC3-12800.
I wonder if it makes a difference.
Here's what the manual says about lower voltage ram. I'm assuming they mean 1.35 V.
CAUTION: This product DOES NOT support DDR3 Ultra Low Voltage (DDR3U) memory. The processor is not compatible with DDR3U memory and if you plug DDR3U memory into the system board, it can cause the physical damage to the DIMM or invoke system malfunction. For proper system operation, the DDR3-SDRAM DIMMs must be: ● industry-standard 240-pin ● unbuffered non-ECC PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 MHz-compliant ● 1.5 volt DDR3-SDRAM DIMMsThe DDR3-SDRAM DIMMs must also: ● support CAS latency 11 DDR3 1600 MHz (11-11-11 timing) ● contain the mandatory JEDEC SPD information

I have used G.Skill ram with CAS latency of 9 and not had any problems. It is 1.5 V DDR3 PC3-12800 and the timings are different (9-9-9). I've had it in my HP 6300 Pro for over a year. G.Skill ram that I'm using

Here's a 16GB kit that also works: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back