[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
hda-verb is a tool for codec commander that I've never used explicitly,
and i'm not sure if its needed. Check if your ALC221 audio is waking
properly, for example, by plugging in the microphone -- you should see
the mic input on one of the line inputs in sound preferences. If not you
probably need hda-verb.

iasl and patchmatic are if you want to modify the ssdt.aml file.

I followed the guide and everything went smoothly. I've been hacking from 6300 MT and 8200 SFF thanks to these guides and even broke one of them by attempting to install an aftermarket PSU with adapter. :p

Now I'm doing this on a 8300 MT. I'm using i5 3470 with GT710. the only issue is I couldn't get the mic to work too, both back and front although there are 2 line in options available.

I tried the problem reporting script but it just closes, saying cannot connect to internet.

so what I ended up doing was to use an adapter (splitter), the green one goes to the line out (front) and the red one goes to the line in&out (front). now it works. just a work around I guess until I make it work on the single line in&out port. maybe some of you might be interested to try this as well.
Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 8.33.22 PM.pngIMG_8683.JPG

even broke one of them by attempting to install an aftermarket PSU with adapter.
Can you explain what happened with this ? Was the 24 pin to 6 pin adapter what created the problem ?

Yes it was the adapter coz prior to that, the hack was working flawlessly. Apparently it had to be re-pinned correctly but I was too excited to use it and then I saw spark in the motherboard when I turned it on. The ones being sold online are not made for hp 6300/8300/8200/6200 and now after watching quite a number of videos, I realised the mistake.

anyway, if I was successful, it would have meant that I would need to put my GPU outside the case which doesn't look very good too. it doesn't fit coz of the CPU heatsink. but the rx480 would have been a nice upgrade since it's natively supported.

The ones being sold online are not made for hp 6300/8300/8200/6200 and now after watching quite a number of videos, I realised the mistake.
Would you post the exact one you've used so others can learn from this and avoid the same problem ?

Note that you can buy a replacement motherboard on Ebay for a very small amount of money and get your 6300 Pro working again.

Last edited:
For anyone that wants a compatible system in the HP 8300 price range and needs a PSU and graphics upgrade. Have a look at my Dell Optiplex guide and buy the 7010 or 9010 Mini-Tower. The Sapphire RX570 is an excellent choice for this system. Get a standard, name brand, ATX 450W or greater PSU to power a GTX 1060 or an RX 570 mini-itx card. I've just finished the Mojave guide for these and everything works. See the new Dell Optiplex guide for details. If you want a 1060 then install High Sierra instead of Mojave. No drivers yet from Nvidia.

With an i7-3770 and 32GB of ram system, you can install an RX570 and have a super FCP X editing rig or even a Logic Pro system for audio work. Use the integrated HD4000 or an RX 560 if using Logic pro and other audio software.

Last edited:
Budget AMD RX460 Graphics
Also on the topic of graphics for your HP. If you want a new low cost (63 USD) HP RX460 2GB card for your HP 6300 Pro or HP 8300 MT (won't fit in SFF models) There is an Ebay seller in California with over 500 of these for sale. They should perform much better than a GT 710 for not much more money. If you want to do some basic 1080p gaming in Windows take a look at these cards. MSI produced these for HP business desktops. They've never been installed previously. Note that one Youtube reviewer said it would not work in his Dell Desktop. So only buy one if you've got an HP PC.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-910486-...VI/273514536515?hash=item3faebc9e43:rk:4:pf:0
Shipping to the UK is about 16 dollars + any import fees. Free shipping in the continental USA.
Screen Shot.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
These will work OOB like the 560?

These will work OOB like the 560?
I haven't tested one yet. They should be fully supported. Only the XFX branded ones don't work without a Vbios flash.
These are made by MSI specifically for HP machines. They don't work in Dell and some other branded pre-builts. If you or anyone else buys one report back how it goes with your HP.

Here's another seller on the East Coast of the US. Selling it for about 60 dollars.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-910486-...h=item56be1689cf:g:ZAIAAOSw4b1cLiwj:rk:2:pf:0

Last edited:
I just noticed my Wifi card is not working/recognized. It's a TP-Link TL-WDN4800. I'll generate proper problem reporting files when I can (I'm still finishing up some of the post-install tasks.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back