Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cwalker477:

Out of curiosity, do you have a DVI cable that you can try to plugin to see if it's working without doing anything else ?

I'm using this modified kext with my saphire 6870, with GE=yes, duckweed and 4 ports, It works with both dvi's and hdmi with no issues at all...I dont know how will it be for a 6850, but worth a try...:beachball::beachball::beachball:View attachment Saphire_6870.zip

PS, check if you need to remove darkwake=0 using 10.8.1 that causes sleep/wake hangs

For those testing with ATI framebuffers, recently I created a document (based on ati-personalities.pl output) which includes a description of each physical connector in each framebuffer. It was useful to me for helping determine which framebuffer was most appropriate. Hopefully it might be useful to others also.

Attachments

• ATI Framebuffer descriptions.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 280
rebuild the kernel cache

sudo -s (your password)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache -system-caches

exit

Itwas, thanks for your reply.
I have tried this without luck:

On command kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel I get

Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386
Can't create /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.CGWF - No such file or directory.

Still only booting with manual -f input in chimera... Other boot.plist keys seem to work OK.

All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

I'm using this modified kext with my saphire 6870, with GE=yes, duckweed and 4 ports, It works with both dvi's and hdmi with no issues at all...I dont know how will it be for a 6850, but worth a try...:beachball::beachball::beachball:View attachment 29929

PS, check if you need to remove darkwake=0 using 10.8.1 that causes sleep/wake hangs

I have only 1 monitor (tried 2 monitors for a while but too much display real estate gave me a headache ;-) ) but installed your modified kext anyway just in case I need multiple monitors later. So far, everything seems to work as before, except for the mouse a little slower on movement. Went into Preference -> Mouse and up the the speed seems to make it better ;-)

Thanks a ton for your help !!!

@Bimbo69

Your kext worked wonders on my 6850. GraphicsEnabler=Yes is also enabled.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Clayton

Okay guys as promised, after a lot of fiddling with the new DSDT layout, I've got HDMI audio & 889 audio working with the attached DSDT. Please removed any non DSDT HDA enablers. This DSDT has minimal edits and only adds HDEF & HDMI audio. Let me know if it works for you!

EDIT
Sorry guys, the one I uploaded had the wrong pin layout, this is the correct one (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3-U1B-HDMI-HDEF.aml.zip - See attached) and should enable HDMI audio in the pref pane. I didn't realize this till I hooked it up on an HDMI receiver.

Quick question on HDMI audio, when it says delete non dsdt hda enablers, I deleted alc899, but do I also delete applehda since it is replaced when you install alc899, or will this DSDT replace it?

Thanks,

Clayton :D

Hi,
it's very easy actually.

First run Multibeast selecting the Sandy Bridge Core i5 / i7 Overclock SSDT as per:

Then reboot and select the following settings in the UEFI:

These settings apply a default clock of 3.8ghz with turbo boost ranging from 3.9ghz for 4 cores up to 4.2ghz for 1 core. You may need to select different multipliers if your system is not stable at these frequencies. Also, I don't think that this SSDT supports speeds exceeding 4.2ghz, although I'd be happy to be corrected.

I should add, don't worry about OSX still reporting your CPU with the original clock speed in About This Mac and System Information. You can use HWMonitor or MSRDumper to watch the multipliers in action. I.E.: this is my MSRDumper output: PStatesReached: 16 27 33 38 39 40 41 42

Hi memmerson,

Followed your over-clocked guide, my system is working fine except whenever I reboot or boot up. At the BIOS screen , it keeps looping (reboot and reboot several times). When I finally got it BIOS, it complained about the the configuration (don't remember exactly the wording). Is that normal ? is 4.2 GHZ to high ? I do have a Hyper Master 212 plus for the CPU fan and the system is not that HOT. I reset the CPU back to stock speed now and everything seems to be OK.

Any suggestion ? ;-)

Thanks a ton,

TTB

it's a bit tricky to diagnose without the exact messages. Anyhow, not all CPUs are equal, though I would have thought most 2600K's would do 4.2 without a problem. You might need to pump up the vcore voltage a little, though really you should take a look at proper overclocking guides for a fuller understanding.

I had to increase my vcore to +0.04 at 4.6ghz and about 0.14 at 5ghz, though my 5ghz was getting too hot under load (>80C, need a better cooler) so I went back down to 4.6ghz which only gets as hot as about 60C. It idles at about +5C above ambient.

You can view your CPU temps using the FakeSMC motherboard plugins and hwmonitor tool.

it's a bit tricky to diagnose without the exact messages. Anyhow, not all CPUs are equal, though I would have thought most 2600K's would do 4.2 without a problem. You might need to pump up the vcore voltage a little, though really you should take a look at proper overclocking guides for a fuller understanding.

I had to increase my vcore to +0.04 at 4.6ghz and about 0.14 at 5ghz, though my 5ghz was getting too hot under load (>80C, need a better cooler) so I went back down to 4.6ghz which only gets as hot as about 60C. It idles at about +5C above ambient.

You can view your CPU temps using the FakeSMC motherboard plugins and hwmonitor tool.

Yes, the CPU temp is less than or about 40C when I over-clocked it to 4.2 GHZ ( I think ;-) ) . Currently, at stock with bunch of programs loaded including parallels and the temp is around 31-33C. In addition, when I over-clocked, it worked fine with no freeze issue , etc...except for the part or start up the system or restart. I will try to reproduce it over the week-end. It's fairly fast at stock , so I can survive a few days ;-)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back