Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just let apple do its ting on both setups. Worked like clock work. I recommend you put a white sheet down in case you drop one of those little buggers I did and didn't need it but I spent three hours looking for one I dropped about the same size for a SSD case for memory I took out of Chromebook. I had put 64GB in and restored its original 16GB. That is my second OS X install.

jhawk

glad to hear, once i get my wifi card and some internet on this bad boy it will be a nice little machine. Basically a Macbook for half the price!

Question about the pads, are they stuck on with glue or are they snap on/off? also, which pads are the screws under? all of them or just 2, 3 ? rather not mess with them all if i dont have too :)

thanks.

Back two pads. They are glued with a donut ring glue pad. I used small flat screwdriver and nail to get them up without injury, philips screw underneath.

jhawk

Back two pads. They are glued with a donut ring glue pad. I used small flat screwdriver and nail to get them up without injury, philips screw underneath.

jhawk
By back two pads i assume you mean the ones near the windows sticker.

EDIT: took one off to not waste more of your time, indeed near windows sticker.

Thank you,

McBeth

Well Done Jhawk :thumbup:

I just installed your /efi folder with the fastlane option, copy/paste and so far it works great.

I have the 4Go / 128 Go version of this laptop but everything seams to works.

From before I gained Sleep / awaking, function keys, brightness control, sound autoswitching and SD card reader :headbang:

Thanks a ton!.

I just need wifi somehow now.

Well Done Jhawk :thumbup:

I just installed your /efi folder with the fastlane option, copy/paste and so far it works great.

I have the 4Go / 128 Go version of this laptop but everything seams to works.

From before I gained Sleep / awaking, function keys, brightness control, sound autoswitching and SD card reader :headbang:

Thanks a ton!.

I just need wifi somehow now.

Glad to see you back it has been awhile... EL Capitan is next but it will be quick!

jhawk

Glad to see you back it has been awhile... EL Capitan is next but it will be quick!

jhawk

Please read the rules: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

"Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban."

tahyti705,

Would you like to test ALS I need someone who has not got cataracts to tell me if light levels are OK

jhawk

tahyti705,

Would you like to test ALS I need someone who has not got cataracts to tell me if light levels are OK

jhawk

I have no idea what you want me to test... what is ALS?

Btw I just updated to 10.0.4 from the store no problemo.

glad to hear, once i get my wifi card and some internet on this bad boy it will be a nice little machine. Basically a Macbook for half the price!

More like a third, I paid my Asus 580e, the macbook was at 1500 when it got out :eek:

Edit : Do you mean the level of the brightness? If you have a way to improve it, it might helps to some... in bright light. Ubuntu is defenetly 2 or 3 more bright than this, as is, on max brightness.

But since this great lil laptop has a mate screen, It's not that necessary.

Just a FYI, on windows, I use DFX sound which increase and improve a lot the sound.
I'm probably gonna try something like that on mac os too, the sound is way on the high pitch side. Sound output aint too bad tho.

Edit part 2 : Because I wanted more HD space I had to wipe my internal drive once again.

To make the whole process easy, I used an usb key that I knew would boot at least to Yosemite installer, from there I used disk utility to restore / copy my working internal Machintosh HD on an external drive.

Then I booted back to yosemite installer, wiped the whole thing, and restored it. Then You just have to change the internal's drive /efi. Defenetly a nice backup to have.

Edit 3 :Just something I noticed might be wrong about your guide :

The THIRD STEP, boot into installer.
Note:
You will need a USB keyboard and mouse for initial install.
We are just looking for the system to boot up to the installer screen and this begins
PHASE ONE.

I was the one saying that we needed an external Keyboard / Mouse at first install. Because there's a weird "Green mouse icon" to we need to get behind.

I haven't installed from scratch for a while, but long story short, just press "space key" will allow to get forward that "weird" icon.. You will get to choose a language, press english or which ever won't do a thing, but clicking to option bar on top of the screen (which won't be visible) will allow you to pick and use disk utility and continue install...

Edit 4 : Alright, ALS means Ambiant Light Sensor. I guess this comes from the camera and as far as I can tell it defenetly don't work. To be honest I don't care about auto brightness, what I do care tho, is that brightness level are indeed on the low side. it's kind of funny to use Ubuntu just to check that out. Next to Mac or windows sound and brightness can go anywhere beetween 30 to 50% higher on linux, there's quality loss, but you get to choose instead of some OS software.
Maybe there's Osx brightness control kext for "matte" screen?

Last edited:
I have no idea what you want me to test... what is ALS?

Btw I just updated to 10.0.4 from the store no problemo.

More like a third, I paid my Asus 580e, the macbook was at 1500 when it got out :eek:

Edit : Do you mean the level of the brightness? If you have a way to improve it, it might helps to some... in bright light. Ubuntu is defenetly 2 or 3 more bright than this, as is, on max brightness.

But since this great lil laptop has a mate screen, It's not that necessary.

Just a FYI, on windows, I use DFX sound which increase and improve a lot the sound.
I'm probably gonna try something like that on mac os too, the sound is way on the high pitch side. Sound output aint too bad tho.

Edit part 2 : Because I wanted more HD space I had to wipe my internal drive once again.

To make the whole process easy, I used an usb key that I knew would boot at least to Yosemite installer, from there I used disk utility to restore / copy my working internal Machintosh HD on an external drive.

Then I booted back to yosemite installer, wiped the whole thing, and restored it. Then You just have to change the internal's drive /efi. Defenetly a nice backup to have.

ALS Ambient Light Sensing (auto brightness)

I am blessed by plenty of options on drives etc. I may not do drugs but I' an addict when it comes to computers....

jhawk

Hello guys, I'm a new member for this site and a "Elementary user".....
Thank you for your efforts~
I'll follow this Guide and try to do,
but stuck in one of the step in this guide........
When I use the bootable Clover EFI usb stick and start to boot OS X from this usb stick,
it stuck at the bar get on almost 1/4,then I choose "verbose mode",it still stuck by some message...
(see attachments),

so what can I do to install the Mac OS X in my ASUS UX305FA?

ps1.my ASUS UX305FA SPEC:
Core-M 5Y70/8G RAM/256GB SSD/HD5300/QHD(3200X1800)

Thanks~

Attachments

• IMG_20150706_104329.jpg
    IMG_20150706_104329.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20150706_105025.jpg
    IMG_20150706_105025.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back