Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asrock UEFI Boot Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried this tutorial and ran into a problem, anyone able to help? I burned the linux mint DVD and was able to get all the way in and into the terminal, everything worked up until i typed in "efibootmgr" instead of getting the list of drives all I received was an error message saying something along the lines of "couldn't loud sysfs" Does this sound familiar? I will try and go back into and see if I can get the actual message.

I tried this tutorial and ran into a problem, anyone able to help? I burned the linux mint DVD and was able to get all the way in and into the terminal, everything worked up until i typed in "efibootmgr" instead of getting the list of drives all I received was an error message saying something along the lines of "couldn't loud sysfs" Does this sound familiar? I will try and go back into and see if I can get the actual message.

Sounds like you have booted in legacy mode. You have to boot using the UEFI option otherwise it just wont work.

Hello all,
I apologize ahead of time as this is very long winded and I am VERY new to this...

I am having some issues with my ASRock Z97 Fatality Killer Mobo. I've read the thread extensively, and (correct me if I'm wrong for I am confused) it seems the thread is for people who were already able to install OS X El Capitan. I cannot even get to that point currently. I have tried multiple times to follow the installation guide for El Capitan with the UEFI boot protocol for the USB stick, however when I try installing for the first time, my computer gets stuck at the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key." as shown below.

IMG_0827.jpg

I recently updated my BIOS for my Mobo to 2.20, and I disabled USB 3.0, VT-d, and Serial Port (another individual mentioned it might cause issues to have it enabled).

This is a brand new build and I want to get it up and running. Here are my current specifications:

Mobo: ASRock Z97 Killer E2200
Processor: Intel i7-4790K
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2-8gb DDR3
Wireless Card: TP-Link AC1750 PCI Express Adapter

Here are my current BIOS settings:

Advanced CPU Configuration:
Intel Hyper Threading Technology - ENABLED
Active Processor Cores - ALL
CPU C States Support - AUTO
Enhanced Halt State(C1E) - AUTO
CPU C3 State Support - AUTO
CPU C6 State Support - AUTO
CPU C7 State Support - AUTO
Package C State Support - DISABLED
CPU Thermal Throttling - ENABLED
No-Execute Memory Protection - ENABLED
Intel Virtualization Technology - DISABLED
Hardware Prefetcher - ENABLED
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch - ENABLED

Advanced Chipset Configuration:
Primary Graphics Driver - PCI Express
VT-d - DISABLED
PCIE2 Link Speed - AUTO
S8 DMI Link ASPM Control - DISABLED
Share Memory - AUTO
IGPU Multi-Monitor - DISABLED
Render Standby - ENABLED
Onboard HD Audio - AUTO
Front Panel - AUTO
Onboard HDMI HD Audio - ENABLED
Onboard LAN - ENABLED
Deep sleep - DISABLED
Restore on AC/Power Loss - POWER OFF
Good Night LED - AUTO

Advanced Storage Configuration:
SATA Contriller(s) - ENABLED
SATA Mode Selection - AHCI
SATA Agressive Link Power Management - DISABLED
Dynamic Storage Accelerator - ENABLED
Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T - ENABLED
M2/SATA3_4, SATA3_5 Switch - AUTO

Intel Rapid Start Technology - DISABLED
Intel Smart Connect Technology - ENABLED
Intel Thunderbolt Technology - DISABLED

Advanced Super IO Configuration:
PS2 Y-Cable - AUTO
Serial Port - DISABLED
Serial Port Address - 3F8h/IRQ4

Advanced ACPI Configuration:
Suspend to RAM - AUTO
Check Ready Bit - ENABLED
ACPI HPET Table - ENABLED
PS/2 Keyboard Power On - DISABLED
PCI Devices Power On - DISABLED
Ring-In Power On - DISABLED
RTC Alarm Power On - By OS
USB Keyboard/Remote Power On - DISABLED
USB Mouse Power On - DISABLED

Advanced USB Configuration:
USB Controller - ENABLED
Intel USB3.0 Mode - DISABLED
Legacy USB Support - ENABLED
USB Compatibility Patch - DISABLED

Boot Option Priorities:
Boot Option #1 - SanDisk USB

Fast Boot - DISABLED
Boot From Onboard LAN - DISABLED
Setup Prompt Timeout - Blank
Bootup Num-Lock - ON
Boot Beep - DISABLED
Full Screen Logo - ENABLED
Boot Failure Guard - ENABLED
Boot Failure Guard Count - 3

Secure Boot - DISABLED

As mentioned by Wonkey Donkey, I should follow the guide if I am able to check all of the preliminary boxes, however I can't even get to the install window for El Capitan via the bootable USB stick. I have no idea what I should do. Please help me if possible. Thank you all so much.

You should really post this in an installation sub-forum, as its not connected to the guide I posted.

What I can say from your error message is that your system can not see a bootable device.

Maybe you have not installed Clover on the system drive, or not setup your USB installer correctly.

Alternatively, you may have not selected the UEFI device to boot from.

The only thing I would change on your settings is to disable Smart Connect.

You should really post this in an installation sub-forum, as its not connected to the guide I posted.

What I can say from your error message is that your system can not see a bootable device.

Maybe you have not installed Clover on the system drive, or not setup your USB installer correctly.

Alternatively, you may have not selected the UEFI device to boot from.

The only thing I would change on your settings is to disable Smart Connect.

Yah I apologize for the improper placement on my inquiry. I posted in the support forum, however I am not getting any feedback so I figured I would try posting in here. Here is my thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...tuck-part-way-through-white-apple-loader.html

Anyways, I followed the instructions to a T when setting up the USB installer. I chose El Capitan, UEFI, no graphics drivers, however I still receive that message. Would it help to unplug my other SSD or format the SSD in GUID? I guess I'll keep looking.

What do you see on your boot selection screen when you boot with the USB installer ?

IMG_2835.jpg

So I was able to boot to the installer, however when I selected Boot Mac OSX from OS X El Capitan, it loaded halfway through then the computer shut off to a black screen.

IMG_0831.jpg

Verbose mode FTW. However I guess now that it installed part way through and restarted, my SSD that I installed Mac OS X to is not recognized by clover, so now do I use this guide to get my SSD recognized and make as the bootable SSD?

Deleted my comment as I figured out my issue

The procedure detailed would not stop you getting into your bios. As mentioned in the first post, you can reverse any changes by doing a full bios reset. Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this, but it typically involves jumping 2 pin connectors on the motherboard for a short period of time.

The fact you could see and then select the USB installer suggests that this process would not benefit you at this stage.

You need to find out why the installer quits part way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back