Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asrock UEFI Boot Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
there has to be an efi partition, if you got osx installed with unibeast, but this topic has taken up to much of this thread. make a new thread, ill find it and help you figure this thing out tomorrow eveing

Well I tried this guide twice. Can't get it work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong I followed this guide to the letter. Every time I click on UEFI Clover in the boot menu I return to the same screen like people I've said before. I give up since no one actually explains this stuff in normal language that people like me can't understand.

What do you think is not explained in the original guide at post # 1 ?

Every step is documented and explains what it does and why.

My main system is an Asrock Z77Extreme 4. I have a total of 4 disks in it and it is dual booted with Windows 7.

I was able to get Clover to work by following this guide, but I had to put a twist on the efibootmgr command that creates the boot list entry for Clover. This was because I was too lazy to open my case and disconnect the extra 3 drives:).

Here is the twist to the set of commands I used (on Ubuntu 14.04 booted from USB).

First use lsblk to identify the drive and partition containing OS X and Clover. In my case it was /dev/sde1 (here /dev/sde is the drive and 1 is the partition).

Code:
sudo modprobe efivars
sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
sudo efibootmgr (to see current list)
[B]sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Clover UEFI" -l "EFICLOVERCLOVERX64.EFI" -d /dev/sde -p 1[/B]
sudo efibootmgr -o 0000

The -d option identifies the drive and the -p identifies the partition. In my case the drive containing Clover and OS X is /dev/sde and the EFI partition is 1.

I also noticed references in this thread to post [post]1130914[/post]
This post describes a different way to do the same thing. Think of it as a table saw and a hand saw. Both can cut a piece of wood.

Anyway, thanks to the contributors on this thread as it bailed me out of a jam.

My main system is an Asrock Z77Extreme 4. I have a total of 4 disks in it and it is dual booted with Windows 7.

I was able to get Clover to work by following this guide, but I had to put a twist on the efibootmgr command that creates the boot list entry for Clover. This was because I was too lazy to open my case and disconnect the extra 3 drives:).

Here is the twist to the set of commands I used (on Ubuntu 14.04 booted from USB).

First use lsblk to identify the drive and partition containing OS X and Clover. In my case it was /dev/sde1 (here /dev/sde is the drive and 1 is the partition).

Code:
sudo modprobe efivars
sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
sudo efibootmgr (to see current list)
[B]sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Clover UEFI" -l "EFICLOVERCLOVERX64.EFI" -d /dev/sde -p 1[/B]
sudo efibootmgr -o 0000

The -d option identifies the drive and the -p identifies the partition. In my case the drive containing Clover and OS X is /dev/sde and the EFI partition is 1.

I also noticed references in this thread to post [post]1130914[/post]
This post describes a different way to do the same thing. Think of it as a table saw and a hand saw. Both can cut a piece of wood.

Anyway, thanks to the contributors on this thread as it bailed me out of a jam.

There are variations of this that will work of course, as you have pointed out.

I've tried to keep this particular guide simple and easy to use, and without being too technical.

You are free to use any method that works of course, and by clearing all changes via a bios reset, you can try out other methods.

Good to see you have yours fixed though!

:thumbup:

I have no word other than a freaking big

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

I followed the original guide for ElCapitan install and got stuck at the boot problem on my AsRock Z97, followed your very clear instructions and got everything working after a reboot under Ubuntu.

Thanks again
:thumbup:

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!
you're awesome!!!!
worked for me and finally my sound is working

THANK YOU!!!

I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't boot from my SSD, I've been wracking my brain for the past three days and I wish I would have seen this guide sooner!!!

ASRock Z97 Anniversary mobo and this worked beautifully for me. My machine now boots right up to Clover and I can select OS X (don't even have to hit spacebar to load with "injecting kexts" - another plus!) without needing Unibeast USB!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!

EDIT

I simply booted from a USB Windows 10 installer, installed Windows 10 to my second SSD - now Clover recognizes BOTH and I can restart boot into the other with ZERO problems. This is perfect! Again thank you so much!!! Clover does have two entries for Windows 10, one works and the other one doesn't, but I'm pretty sure I can live with one unnecessary boot option I can easily just ignore.

Last edited:
I was wondering a way to use Ubuntu to fix this problem, then I saw your thread, amazing! Worked like a charm for my ASRock B75M-DGS-R2.0 using Kernel 3.19 from Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back