Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z97 and H97 Motherboards Gallery and Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would refuse to buy a board that has an older PCI slot on it. Total deal-breaker for me personally.

What in the world is going on with ASUS? VGA on their ITX board, and there appears to be no I/O shield support for the wifi antenna output? A pile of USB 2 connections instead of esata or discrete audio?

Presumably (at least in the minds of the motherboard manufacturers), there must be a lot of people out there using old, rare, specialty hardware on ancient motherboards. Fax concentrator cards? Custom-designed single-purpose processors? God only knows... I doubt that the people who rely on weird old hardware like this go out and upgrade their motherboards every year, though. I used to work for businesses that ran their day-to-day operations on 20-year old SCO boxes and you'd just hope and pray that something didn't fail because it was terrible to find replacement parts that were compatible with the legacy systems.

... there must be a lot of people out there using old, rare, specialty hardware on ancient motherboards. Fax concentrator cards? ...

Wow... that one hit home. Up until 2 years ago, we kept around a 486 box running NT 4.0 because that was as far as we could go without breaking the fax concentrator card (ISA).

I've ordered a new system based around the Gigabyte H97-D3H motherboard, slightly speed-bumped i7-4790 CPU and GeForce 780 GTX. Been about 3 years since I last ran a Hackintosh, so I'm glad to see it seems easier than it used to be!

Given that guy's success with the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force and the previous support for the Gigabyte H87-D3H, looks like I should be okay; Intel GbE LAN and ALC1150 are pretty common.

I've ordered a new system based around the Gigabyte H97-D3H motherboard, slightly speed-bumped i7-4790 CPU and GeForce 780 GTX. Been about 3 years since I last ran a Hackintosh, so I'm glad to see it seems easier than it used to be!

Given that guy's success with the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force and the previous support for the Gigabyte H87-D3H, looks like I should be okay; Intel GbE LAN and ALC1150 are pretty common.
Great, I'm really waiting for your feedback !

Great, I'm really waiting for your feedback !
I'll let you guys know how it goes. It'll be interesting to see whether using OS X on a SATA Express or M.2 (NGFF) boot drive works.

Parts are still on order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back