Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

The whole Z790 platform is more or less the same as Z690. They haven't hardly changed anything on it. BUT, I checked again the specification... they added 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to the Z790... maybe this is the issue... I will make a own mapping. If its as easy as a mapping issue, I'm happy :)
so no, they are not the same...

remove any USB kext you have and start fresh with the usb setup guide

The whole Z790 platform is more or less the same as Z690. They haven't hardly changed anything on it. BUT, I checked again the specification... it seems, that they added 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 to the Z790... maybe this is the issue... I will make a own mapping. If its as easy as a mapping issue, I'm happy :)
The only physical difference is the change of one USB Type C port on rear IO from USB 3.2 Gen 1 speed (5Gbps) to USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed (10 Gbps). This change alone will not affect the USB port map, which means we can use the predefined port map from Z690 EFI.

However, if the port names have changed then the port map will need to change. Port names are mentioned in Post 1 under Tech Talk -> On-Board Devices.

Sleep/wake has been a thorny subject lately, as the last few pages of this thread attest.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 7.51.08 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 7.53.13 AM.png

The only physical difference is the change of one USB Type C port on rear IO from USB 3.2 Gen 1 speed (5Gbps) to USB 3.2 Gen 2 speed (10 Gbps). This change alone will not affect the USB port map, which means we can use the predefined port map from Z690 EFI.

However, if the port names have changed then the port map will need to change. Port names are mentioned in Post 1 under Tech Talk -> On-Board Devices.

Sleep/wake has been a thorny subject lately, as the last few pages of this thread attest.

View attachment 575108View attachment 575109
I bet the chipset enabled USB ports are different but that’s just speculation. IMHO it would be a miracle if one map worked for both boards.
Dumb question for Casey, if the SSDT enables all ports doesn’t that break the 15 port limit and cause issues that way? Good for mapping but not made for daily use was my take.

View attachment 575108View attachment 575109

To be fair ...

You might want to double-check the DSDT USB section. Thought the USB section is only one detail different it looks like there is an extra M.2 port too. Resources might have been rearranged internally.

Then again expecting the BIOS to be the same on both boards is, hmmm, a leap.

Could all be something ... Or nothing. Happy to be wrong casting doubts! :D

I bet the chipset enabled USB ports are different but that’s just speculation. IMHO it would be a miracle if one map worked for both boards.
Dumb question for Casey, if the SSDT enables all ports doesn’t that break the 15 port limit and cause issues that way? Good for mapping but not made for daily use was my take.
There are 4 USB port map SSDTs in the EFI folder. Two of them define 15 ports and one of those is the default.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.19.33 AM.png

Last edited:
To be fair ...

You might want to double-check the dsdt USB section. Thought the USB section is only one detail different it looks like there is an extra m.2 port too. Resources might have been rearranged internally.

Then again expecting the BIOS to be the same on both boards is, hmmm, a leap.

Could all be something ... Or nothing. Happy to be wrong casting doubts! :D
This EFI is using USBInjectAll with a companion SSDT. There are 3 factors that affect port mapping:
  • Port type (255, 0, 3, 9, or 10)
  • Port address -- this is determined by the DSDT/BIOS
  • Port names -- the names are arbitrary, but we use the following convention:
    • HSxx for USB 1.x and 2.2
    • SSxx for USB 3.x
Because the layout of all USB ports is the same between the Z690 and Z790 editions of Aero G, it is likely (though not a certainty) that their addresses are also the same.

But I agree that the user should confirm that the addresses are correct.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.21.13 AM.png

There are 4 USB port map SSDTs in the EFI folder. Two of them define 15 ports and one of those is the default.

View attachment 575113Yes indeed, @schwarzlicht was using SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS-HS14.aml with the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled. That is a nice option to be able to have to tune your ports but not the final solution. Sounds like he needs to investigate his bios settings and and then work on his port mapping. He may be able to use one of your other SSDTs that limit port count to 15, that would be ideal.

@Leesureone,
Good observation about using the all-ports SSDT. I did not download @schwarzlicht's config.plist until now.

@schwarzlicht,
Please choose one of the 15-port USB SSDTs and uncheck Kernel -> XhciPortLimit. Does this help with sleep/wake?

@Leesureone,
Good observation about using the all-ports SSDT. I did not download @schwarzlicht's config.plist until now.

@schwarzlicht,
Please choose one of the 15-port USB SSDTs and uncheck Kernel -> XhciPortLimit. Does this help with sleep/wake?
Thank you all for your investigation and willingness to help. I appreciate that. I will try it and let you know.

Okay folks I have a question for you. My 12th gen 12900K Asus Z690 Prime P-D4 system at work seems to be crashing much with Photoshop of late. Does anyone know what advice can be given to mitigate this? Has anyone had any success on Photoshop CC with Ventura or Sonoma? The system as it goes is currently on Monterey 12.6.1 and Photoshop CC 2023 is utilised quite heavily.

Back