Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI, i7-7700K, Samsung 960 PRO, 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed the darkwake option. What does that do?

That BIOS screen capture sounds useful! Is there a way to force Clover to write the verbose output to a thumb?

I am also running F7: mb_bios_ga-z270xp-sli_f7.zip sp I'm unclear on why your BIOS looks different? There must be some hidden setting to turn that on - but ... as I've previously been able to install to my internal HD, I'm not sure those settings (if mine actually differ) are causing any problems.

I just tried booting up with your new plist.config. I initially used the USB 2.0 port, then got the HID: Legacy shim 2 error, moved it to a USB 3.0 port, and it continued for a long time. The issue may have to do with nVidia? I'll have to look at the config.plists that don't crash (from UniBeast) and see what's different? I didn't have to move the USB with UniBeast, so it may be the USB ports changing? I'll have to compile my changes so all my ports stay enabled.

Computers are always a challenge ha ha! Thanks for your help!

IMG_1270.PNG

darkwake is for sleep/wake.

The Secure Boot option may be at the bottom of that screen and you may have to scroll down to see it.

Why are you using a USB3 drive in a USB2 port?

I scrolled down last nite, and it wasn't there? I'll see if the F12 screen shot will show the entire screen including any un-scrolled parts?

Almost all of my drives are USB3. I was previously able to install onto an internal HD using UniBeast with a USB 3 thumb using the USB 2.0 port.

Should I only use a USB 2.0 drive in a USB 2.0 port? I thought as a USB3 drive has all the pins and uses the USB2 pins if those are the only ones available, it would be the same whether USB2 or USB3?

I don't think F12 will capture all items, hidden or not. It only captures what is currently shown on the screen. But I will double check to see if there was an option that I might have selected that enabled the Secure Boot detail screen.

USB3 ports are compatible with USB3 and USB2 drives, but USB2 ports are only able to read USB2 drives. If yours is a USB3 drive, plug it into a USB3 port. I think you said 2 (or 1) of your front ports are USB3 and the others are USB2, and that they are plugged into the USB2 and USB3 Headers on the board. So plug the drive into the one that is connected to a USB3 Header.

On a side note, if you review my USB mapping list again you'll notice a 255 value associated with one of the USB2 Headers that I am using to power my Bluetooth. If you use a different USB2 Header for your Bluetooth (e.g.: HS11), make sure you update the SSDT-USB.dsl and change the 0 to 255 on that port (e.g.: HS11 should have 255 now instead of HS13) and change the 255 to 0 on the port that you will not be using (e.g. HS13).

If you need the SSDT-USB.dsl (source code) let me know.

ETA: OK, so I doubled check the BIOS and you have to disable CSM Support option in order to see the hidden Secure Boot option. To disable CMS Support option, you have to change the Windows 8/10 Features option to Windows 8/10 (or Windows 8/10 WHCL), then the CMS Support will show up. Disable it and you'll see the Secure Boot option, enable it and the Secure Boot will be hidden.

When you are done, change Windows 8/10 Features back to Other OS.

170816154529.png

170816154550.png

Last edited:
Thanks for figuring out the BIOS conundrum! I'll setup mine just like yours!

Your dsl source code was in the SSDT-USB.dsl.zip you posted. I do have 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 on the front of my computer, so one USB3 header is unused. I followed your example in the dsl and mapped those out, and added the 2nd port from the 1st USB2 header that you don't use.

As I'm mapping out 2 USB3 ports, that counts as 4 total (as far as the 15 max ports goes) as a USB3 counts as two ports, right?

I noticed how you setup the Bluetooth port, and if I need to move that to the 2nd port of USB2 header #2, I'll do that - and then compile to create the SSDT-USB.aml setup for my port layout.

I have my bluetooth in the side of the USB2 header #2 that has 5 pins. I ?think? that is the 2nd port, but I could have googled the wrong answer?

BTW - as I've been able to install 10.12.6 to an internal HD using a USB3 drive in a USB2 port, that seems to indicate you can use USB3 drives in USB2 ports? Is there some issue I'm overlooking? A USB3 drive has pins for both USB2 and USB3, as far as I can tell?

Might be faster for you as my USB2 drives are much slower than my USB3 drives when in a USB2 port, no doubt using older technology.

If you look at the board layout below, the USB2 Header #2 is the one facing the left of the board (labeled F_USB2). The one to the right of it is the USB2 Header #1 (labeled F_USB1). Likewise, the USB3 Header #1 is the one on top (labeled F_USB30_1) and USB3 Header #2 is the one right below it (labeled F_USB30_2).

For our USB mapping purposes, each USB 3.0 Header on the board is actually counted as 4 ports (2 HS and 2 SS ports), so 2 USB 3.0 Headers will be equivalent to 8 ports, where as each USB 2 Header is counted as 1 port (or maybe 2?)

As listed on my USB mapping:

USB 3.0 Header #1 (F_USB30_1) --> HS01/HS02 and SS01/SS01
USB 3.0 Header #2 (F_USB30_2) --> HS05/HS06 and SS05/SS06
USB 2.0 Header #1 (F_USB1) --> HS11 (and possibly HS12 ??)
USB 2.0 Header #2 (F_USB2) --> HS13 (and possibly HS14 ??)

Btw, each USB2 Header should have 9 pins, not 5, if I am reading your post correctly.

It's odd that you could use a USB3 drive in a USB2 port. Where you do connect your front USB2 ports to, USB3 header or USB2 header?

ETA: Scratch that. I am an idiot. A USB3 drive WILL work in a USB2 port, just slower.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 1.14.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Btw, the Samsung 960 PRO Read speed clocks in at ~ 2,900 MB/s and Write is at ~ 2,009 MB/s. I would say that's pretty close to the advertised 3,500 MB/s Read and 2,100 MB/s Write. :)

DiskSpeedTest 960 PRO.png

Btw, each USB2 Header should have 9 pins, not 5, if I am reading your post correctly.
I wasn't clear. A USB2 header has two 'sides', one with 5 pins, and one with 4 pins and an empty position.

I ?think? that for USB2 header #2 (F_USB2), that the 2nd port is the side with 5 pins, but ... I googled it and could be wrong.

I have the 2 USB3 front panel ports going to F_USB30_1 and the 2 USB2 front panel ports going to F_USB1. My bluetooth goes to F_USB2 2nd port (with 5 pins).

So my dsl will have bluetooth setup like:

Code:
"HS14", Package() // USB2/USB3 on USB2 header #2 on motherboard , port <0e 00 00 00>
{
   "UsbConnector", 255,  // 255 because this is used for PCI-e Broadcom/Bluetooth adapter
   "port", Buffer() { 0x0e, 0, 0, 0 },
},

One thing I'm curious about. In your dsl you you have entries for HS05, HS06, HS09,HS11, etc.

In the Clover->Boot->Custom flash you exclude them with uia_exclude.

You don't have an entry for HS12 in your dsl, so it won't be used (and of course it's not listed in the exclude).

Why not just remove the entries for HS05, HS06, HS09,HS11, etc. in the dsl for each of the ports you will exclude?

Is it that you might want to reconsider later and use those ports and just change the excludes?

Does excluding have the exact same effect as removing a port in the dsl?

BTW - yes, those results with the speed test sound great! I wonder what kind of load it can handle before it throttles for thermal reasons?

Do you have TRIM enabled?

Last edited:
I think you may be right about the 5-pin on F_USB2 being port HS14. Those pins would be 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 (NC).

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 4.35.01 PM.png

It looks like you'll need to define an "HS12" entry in the SSDT-USB.dsl file because you are using the USB2 Header #1 for those 2 USB2 front ports. Don't forget to remove the "HS13" from the SSDT-USB.dsl file since you're not using it.

The reason I listed all 22 ports in the SSDT-USB.dsl file is because I want to define all the possible ports for this board and could exclude certain ones at will by including them on the uia_exclude argument. It is also to follow P1LGRIM's guide to a tee and for my own documentation.

TRIM is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back