Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your test. Wow, 200MB/s is a huge difference...

I think I have to continue researching this issue. May be that's the reason why other people did not recommend using Marvel ports.

I will come backi if I get this fixed somehow.

Thaks for your patience, regards

I honestly think that switching the port you are using for your SSD is kind of a band-aid to your underlying issue which I still believe is your actual Clover install on your EFI partition.

The reason I say this is that when I looked at your EFI folder, your Clover folder structure seems to have two different versions of Clover's folder structure.... You have a mis-match of old folder structure from previous versions of Clover and folder structure of newer versions of Clover mixed together.

This happened to me when I updated Clover on my build before I started fresh....
It happened because when you install a newer version of Clover manually from the install pkg, if you have an older version with the old folder structure there, then new Clover installer doesn't touch (or delete ) the old folder structure.
So I corrected this by first backing up my working config.plist file, then deleting the entire EFI folder on my EFI partition, then installing the new version of Clover... then finally replacing the generic config.plist file installed by the Clover pkg with my working back up one and rebooting.

The important folder structure that changed is that there used to be a "drivers64" and a "UEFIdrivers64" folder on the root directory of the Clover folder... in current versions of Clover this has changed and now ALL .efi files are located as such: CLOVER/drivers/BIOS (.efi files are here for Legacy systems) and CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (.efi files in here for UEFI systems)

So for the version of Clover you have installed, you should have your .efi files in CLOVER/drivers/BIOS.
But what I saw is that you have .efi files spread across different folders in your Clover folder AND you have old Clover version folders in your CLOVER folder with .efi files in them. I think this is confusing your system.

You are also missing a couple .efi files you need in your CLOVER/drivers/BIOS folder... the most important one being 3rdPartySATA.efi. I absolutely think this might be why your other SATA ports were causing freezes.

Additionally, your config file had a few things missing.

I still recommend you try my EFI folder using the steps I outlined above, and if it fails then just restore your EFI folder.

If you do decide to try my EFI folder, I would reconnect your SSD back to the Intel SATA0 port.

I'm also willing to bet you get better speeds on your read/write testing.

glad you guy are getting the results results you are after.

I have to say though, that I think you should pull the trigger on the uefi bios and go target full vanilla. (that bios is from 2013 after all, been running it personally since that time, they just never updated the product page to remove the beta tag)

Just copy the bios to a FAT formatted usb stick, flash it, move on.

These boards, even in UEFI mode, you can enable "legacy type" functions when you need them anyways.

I mean the only time it was actually a problem was with PXE network booting, which I must admit, took me a while to port my existing netboot setup over to UEFI. Could still use legacy PXE, in the bios after. That's the only real challenge I encountered. Windows works fine too.

Maybe I'm old and have been tinkering for a long time, but a bios update is really nothing to be scared of. Had graphics driver issues more often then a bios. IMHO.

Any hackintosh kext in /Library/Extensions is not necessary in this day and age. Everything should be in the clover/opencore kext folders.

I'm willing to bet, that in the near future, the tonymac community will adopt opencore anyways, as it will be way easier to make the Multibeast program. It's just copying an EFI folder on the system drive after all, and it's completely possible for them to curate motherbord configs. (Once opencore is a bit more mature)

I don't have issues with sata in the third party sata drives, but I also wilfully do not put an os on that chipset as IIRC, it's not as fast. (Always seem to tick the "third party sata" checkboxes to be sure.)

I do want to try opencore on my next build. Looking forward to it. Now that I've gone through this challenge getting Mojave to run on this old beast, I'm getting kinda addicted to the tinkering. :lol:

Hi

Good news, folks

@rocco_77 you were absolutely right in your assumptions.

I honestly think that switching the port you are using for your SSD is kind of a band-aid to your underlying issue which I still believe is your actual Clover install on your EFI partition.

If you do decide to try my EFI folder, I would reconnect your SSD back to the Intel SATA0 port.

I'm also willing to bet you get better speeds on your read/write testing.

Absolutely. You won, indeed. I did follow your directions on repairing my EFI folder, all ran smooth, system booted much faster and after testing my SSD speeds, they are on par with yours.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 19.39.11.png

System is running flawlessly since several hours. The only weird thing I'm experiencing is one of my HDDs has to be plugged into a Marvel port, because it's not recognized when I plug it into a regular Intel SATA ports. No idea why, it is formatted as Mac OS Journaled and may be it keeps track of its position number or something I don't understand.

Id like to give you a big thanks, it has been 4 months of desperation and I was mind-blocked. This wouldn't have been possible without your help, guys.

Also my apologies for my English, as you have seen, English in not my native language.

Best regards, keepin an eye on this forum from now on!!

Awesome! You are very welcome.

I was in the same boat with the feelings of despair. It took me almost 2 months to get mine all dialed in. LOTS of reading and research, but it was enjoyable some of the time learning about the details.... just stressful since this is my main workstation.

The only weird thing I'm experiencing is one of my HDDs has to be plugged into a Marvel port, because it's not recognized when I plug it into a regular Intel SATA ports. No idea why, it is formatted as Mac OS Journaled and may be it keeps track of its position number or something I don't understand.

I had this issue and there is a kext I had to install for that. And then the drive would show up as an external disk, so there was a kext patch I applied in config.plist with Clover Configurator.

If you are using my config file, then you already have the kext patch in there. If you take a look at your config file in Clover Configurator under Kernel and Kext Patches, you'll see AppleACHIPort. There are numbers entered into the "find" and "replace" columns, and the "comment" column says "External icons patch." This patches the way the OS sees the drive so it sees it as an internal rather than an ejectable external drive.

The kext you need is AppleAHCIPort.kext... I've attached it here....
Use Hackintool to install it into /Library/Extensions.

Shut your computer down, and you should be able to switch your HDD back to the original SATA port.

Start your computer back up and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip
    52.2 KB · Views: 55
Use Hackintool to install it into /Library/Extensions.

can't this go into clover's kext folder though ?

separate topic :

I've got opencore 0.5.8 working, the picker timeout's worth it for dual booters.

Haven't posted it yet, because I really want to get the usb right.

Right now, the only thing that doesn't work is usb2 devices in usb3 ports. (I culd live with it, but I'm a purist)

The EJ168 Etron USB3's is of type PXSX in ioreg ...

think they need to be XHC, any pointers on this would be appreciated. (workin' on it) :)

can't this go into clover's kext folder though ?

I suppose it could... It's always been installed in /Library/Extensions in my builds because it was part of the Multibeast builds from Lion and El Capitan. Could have been in earlier builds, but my first build was Lion.

separate topic :

I've got opencore 0.5.8 working, the picker timeout's worth it for dual booters.

Haven't posted it yet, because I really want to get the usb right.

Right now, the only thing that doesn't work is usb2 devices in usb3 ports. (I culd live with it, but I'm a purist)

The EJ168 Etron USB3's is of type PXSX in ioreg ...

think they need to be XHC, any pointers on this would be appreciated. (workin' on it) :)

Awesome you got Open Core working (mostly)... I would be the same with the USB 2 port thing too... lol

Unfortunately, I have never had to delve into USB as I never opted for USB 3 support... (I hardly use USB devices so it's a non-starter).... soooo... I will be zero help for ya.. sorry.

In my next build, I will certainly opt to get USB 3 / 4? working

I'm itching to make my old G5 PPC into a Hack. Hoping I can salvage the PSU and fans, but I haven't looked deep into it yet.

There has been talk of something called Ryzen (spelling?) Not sure what that is, but some of the moderators here are waiting for it? Gonna do some digging.

I will try Open Core with my next build.

Oh, and I've been reading that Apple may be switching to ARM processors soon, and this may put a shelf life on the Hackintosh altogether. That would be sad. Have you done any reading about this? Most here are not too concerned thinking Apple will continue to support Intel processors for at least another 5 years after switching to ARM.

Here's opencore 0.5.8 with my wip usb edits.

wake/sleep and usb is going strong

usb2 devices don't work in the usb ports, but the opposite does. (Haven't had the time to look into it further yet)

Has the opencore picker, and

- doesn't include the Ressources folder that can be obtained here https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData
- On my system, I cannot copy the entire Resources folder, too large, need to repartition, but I chose to simply not include all audio files, so no boot chime (meh)
- serials need to be adapted
- hidpi is off, but on ("02") turns it on, opencore 0.5.9 seems like there are commits for OpenCanopy which is maturing fast. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/extras/gui.html

Opencore is super efficient. Nothing is on the os drive. Would really love to try updates, but because of NVIDIA, stuck on Hight Sierra as I previously mentioned. :( (My guess is that it would be solid unless Apple does something crazy like drop x86 :p )

Attachments

• opencore_0.5.8_GA-Z68XP-UD3P_v01.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I'm not going to use Open Core on this build... Gonna build an updated Hack very soon... So I'm gonna download your Opencore attachment as a starting point for the new build... Thanks @discreetlogic !

did my first security update using opencore posted above.

flawless. Just have to wait for the Nvidia drivers to get posted (387.10.10.10.40.136 https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/), and honestly, it's just like a real mac. you can walk away and no surprises when it's done.

As I've said in the past in this thread, I'm just annoyed at the whole nvidia debacle. Keeping me on high Sierra on my daily driver, missing out on dark mode because of the Apple/Nvidia scrimish.

getting a rx580 would solve this, but, from what I read, it's a very minor or zero upgrade to the 970 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back