Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rocco_77 Haven't tried the onboard graphics ever, let us know if you know how to enable it. :)

What System Def are you using? If you are using iMac14,2, which is what Multibeast will default to, then you are already using your iGPU with your GTX 970. Since you are running High Sierra HD3000 or Sandy Bridge on-board iGPU is supported, and that's why you don't notice or have to change anything to get full graphics acceleration, etc.

If you were to update to Mojave, then you would have an issue running HD3000, and the ultimate decision I came to was to just not use it by switching to a System Definition that doesn't have an iGPU but only a discrete graphics card or dGPU. There are a few choices.... MacPro5,1 (kinda old and didn't have "metal" support I don't believe), MacPro6,1 (has metal support) or iMacPro1,1. All three of these as real Macs don't have integrated graphics so basically it's ignored and the OS directs the CPU to leverage the dGPU for all functions.

I still have the iGPU enabled in BIOS, but I don't think I need to. I only leave it enabled in case anything goes haywire with the RX 580 and I need to use the iGPU to access BIOS and get to boot to fix. (without having to reset CMOS)

Also with iMac14,2 and Mojave, quick look for JPGs and Preview app won't view JPG files. I use these files a lot and need that. The reason is the iGPU in that system definition is used for that and for H.264/HVEC decoding, and a few other functions... so the iGPU and dGPU work in tandem on that iMac.

There is a work around to fix the JPG quick look and JPGs in the Preview app. You just add the following to your boot arguments in Clover Configurator to your config file.

Code:
shikigva=32
shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

You must be using Lilu / Whatevergreen for this to work.

This does not address the H.264/HVEC decoding issue or HD Streaming in iTunes (if those are important features you need)

This fix just for JPGs just seemed "dirty" to me, so I opted to go with the MacPro6,1 System Definition and it's running great! Everything works.

Ok so have been using open core 0.5.7 for a couple days, seems solid.

replace or generate your own serials.

This uses the new bootpicker OpenCanopy

you'll need to download this separately and add them to the EFI/OC/Ressources

... Still no solid usb3 though.

Hi, folks

Recently I did noticed the new Opencore and wanted to give it a try. Until the end of 2019 Yosemite worked like a charm, not a single problem with it. Since January, when I decided to install a clean Mojave, my frustration has become insane. My system works well, but suffers random freezes every few minutes or hours, making a nightmare working in any serious task. Forgot to mention that I needed to swap my Graphics card to support metal (Radeon RX570) from an old Nvidia discrete GFX card.

Also, my BIOS version is old and thought of updating to the latest, which brings UEFI to our oldish MB. Any advice will be welcome on this, because I don't know if this would break thigs forever. BIOS ga-z68xp-ud3_u1j introduces UEFI but being the latest, it says is a beta version. Is it really worth updating or is a true risk?

I've download @discreetlogic's EFI directory because his setup is identical to mine, except for the graphics card, so I'd like to give it a shot after a good advice on updating to UEFI BIOS.

Regards,

Jesus

Last edited:
Hi, folks

Recently I did noticed the new Opencore and wanted to give it a try. Until the end of 2019 Yosemite worked like a charm, not a single problem with it. Since January, when I decided to install a clean Mojave, my frustration has become insane. My system works well, but suffers random freezes every few minutes or hours, making a nightmare working in any serious task. Forgot to mention that I needed to swap my Graphics card to support metal (Radeon RX570) from an old Nvidia discrete GFX card.

Also, my BIOS version is old and thought of updating to the latest, which brings UEFI to our oldish MB. Any advice will be welcome on this, because I don't know if this would break thigs forever. BIOS ga-z68xp-ud3_u1j introduces UEFI but being the latest, it says is a beta version. Is it really worth updating or is a true risk?

I've download flame's EFI directory because his setup is identical to mine, except for the graphics card, so I'd like to give it a shot after a good advice on updating to UEFI BIOS.

Regards,

Jesus

Thanks to this thread, I've been reading about open core as well, but I'm not going to try it until I build my next Hack.

I too had a giant headache getting Mojave to run stable, and now it seems pretty rock solid. This mobo has been pretty much trouble free since I built this machine in 2011-12. But this is the last OS update I will do on this hardware. And I did have to upgrade graphics card to RX 580 from the 6780 HD I had before.

I have Legacy BIOS as well, version F10. I never did do the UEFI BIOS update because if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. And I read that you shouldn't update BIOS unless necessary. I was thinking I would have to for Mojave, but didn't need to ... The only thing I think was that Legacy was getting confused on boot order when I first installed Mojave, and I couldn't for the life of me get Clover boot screen to show my APFS drives (my SSD with Mojave either of course). Only by removing the USB installer I created with Unibeast, setting / re-setting boot order in BIOS and rebooting did the drives show up.... After that... smooth sailing.

But then Multibeast sets SMBIOS and System Definition to 14,2 by default. Well our old Sandy Bridge HD3000 graphics are not supported by Mojave and are not Metal capable. Still had the RX 580 working fine using Lilu / Whatevergreen and setting Init First Display to PCIe and keeping Enable VGA set to Always Enable. But the iMac14,2 has an on board GPU (like our HD3000 but metal capable) and a dGPU like your graphics card. They work in tandem on that Mac model so since our HD3000 isn't supported I wanted a way for the OS to ignore the on board GPU.

The easiest option was to change System Definition to a Mac model that only has a graphics card and no on board GPU. The choices were MacPro5,1, MacPro6,1 and iMacPro1,1. I would have used iMacPro1,1 but the system and processor are quite different from our set ups, so I chose MacPro6,1. Works perfectly so far and I've put it through some paces, including gaming.

I've learned a lot with this update, so @jguardon if you want to attach your EFI folder I can take a look at it if you like and see if I can help. Please verify that your hardware is correct in your profile, and what BIOS version you have.

Thanks for your reply, @rocco_77

Thanks to this thread, I've been reading about open core as well, but I'm not going to try it until I build my next Hack.

Well, I spent this afternoon studying OpenCore and reading about updating my MoBo, but finally I declined. The only way to update MB firmware is running an application in Windows, and at the moment I don't have time nor patience to do so... The Legacy way seems too much complicated and no guarantee of success, so I'll stick with Clover until this hardware dies.

I've learned a lot with this update, so @jguardon if you want to attach your EFI folder I can take a look at it if you like and see if I can help. Please verify that your hardware is correct in your profile, and what BIOS version you have.

Glad to hear that!! I will attach my EFI, so you can take a look at it. Also, I will attach some pics of relevant settings in my Bios and Library/Extensions content. Well, descriptions in my signature are correct, look at the second line:

Mojave - Kingston 16gb - Z68XP-UD3 | i7 2600K | RX 570 8GB

Yes, the MoBo is UD3 (no 'P' at the end) and FW version is F10. Graphics card is XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB

Since the first install I noticed random freezes and no clue in the system logs. Then, started to look in the forums in the hope of finding a solution, but when something seemed like it would work, nah. Back to the beginning.

At least, judging about some sympthoms, it seems related to AHCI and SATA ports, by reading a post explaining the exact same sympthoms like mine, but with different hardware. Applied the recommended patch, to no avail:

That is the closest thing I am at by now. Currently I have 3 HDD and the SSD running Mojave and it is true that removing all disks but the Mojave boot disk, truly the freezes are less and more sparse. So may be that would be the correct path to go. BTW, two of my storage disks are showing in the IDE channel, but not remember which connector are plugged in. (Not in the attached screenshots, disks are unplugged at the moment, WD Purple 1TB each).

Many thanks for taking the time on this, apreciated!

Regards,

Jesus

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.7 MB · Views: 77
  • screenshots.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Glad to hear that!! I will attach my EFI, so you can take a look at it. Also, I will attach some pics of relevant settings in my Bios and Library/Extensions content. Well, descriptions in my signature are correct, look at the second line:

Mojave - Kingston 16gb - Z68XP-UD3 | i7 2600K | RX 570 8GB

Yes, the MoBo is UD3 (no 'P' at the end) and FW version is F10. Graphics card is XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB

Since the first install I noticed random freezes and no clue in the system logs. Then, started to look in the forums in the hope of finding a solution, but when something seemed like it would work, nah. Back to the beginning.

At least, judging about some sympthoms, it seems related to AHCI and SATA ports, by reading a post explaining the exact same sympthoms like mine, but with different hardware. Applied the recommended patch, to no avail:

That is the closest thing I am at by now. Currently I have 3 HDD and the SSD running Mojave and it is true that removing all disks but the Mojave boot disk, truly the freezes are less and more sparse. So may be that would be the correct path to go. BTW, two of my storage disks are showing in the IDE channel, but not remember which connector are plugged in. (Not in the attached screenshots, disks are unplugged at the moment, WD Purple 1TB each).

I've uploaded screen shots of my BIOS settings and my EFI folder with a couple changes to the config.plist (I changed the serial number and Board BIOS from YOUR config.plist so it won't break your iCloud or add another device to your iCloud.)

Before trying ANY of the things I list below, I would highly recommend you disconnect ALL other SSDs and HDDs from your system. Also, I would log out of iCloud and any other Apple related services and disconnect from your network.
After you get everything working without the freezing, then reconnect to your network and try logging into your iCloud
(this is all assuming you use iCloud, iTunes, etc.)

Ok I looked over your uploads. Your BIOS screens have a few differences from mine, for example I have HDD S.M.A.R.T. set to DISABLED.... but I may actually try to enable that, so maybe leave that one for now.

Make sure EFI CD/DVD Boot Option is set to AUTO or EFI (not sure if this matters, but I think it did at some point with another install I did on this hardware.... Mine is set to AUTO as you see in my screen shots.

Set Hard Disk Boot Priority - Set your Mojave drive to the first in the list.
Definitely change your First Boot Device to CDROM. Set Second Boot Device to Hard Disk. Disable Third Boot Device.

I kept my Onboard VGA set to Always Enable, but maybe leave your setting for this alone for now unless you get the freeze error again.

You have Onboard H/W 1394 set Disabled. I don't know what that is, but mine is set to Enabled...

I know it's been suggested to Disable Onboard Serial Port 1. I have never done that and never had to. Mine has always been set to 3F8/IRQ4. Don't know what that means either honestly, because I never had to learn about it since it never gave me an issue.

You have PME Event Wake Up set to Disabled. Again, I don't know what that is, but mine is Enabled.
You have Power On by Ring set to Disabled. Again, I don't know what that is, but mine is Enabled.

Once you have the BIOS changes made, let your system boot up to your Mojave SSD.

Open Clover Configurator.

Mount your EFI Partition from Mojave drive.

In Clover Configurator select Kexts Installer on the left bar

Select the Lilu kext and the Whatevergreen kext from the list that appears on the right.
On the top of that window, make sure your EFI partition is selected and the location is EFI/CLOVER/kexts and the OS Version is set to Other.

Once you've downloaded those, go to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, confirm the two kexts are there and then take them out of that folder and put them on your desktop. The only kext that really needs to be in there is FakeSMC.kext. You can also have your Ethernet kext in there too, but all other kexts can go into Library/Extensions. (NOT System/Library/Extensions... I think you know that already but anyway)

Go to this thread and look under STEP 6 and scroll to the "Hackintool Method."
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Download the latest Hackintool - there is a link in the first post of this thread.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v3-x-x.254559/

Follow the guide for Hackintool Method to install Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext to your Library/Extensions folder.

When that's done, quit Hackintool, and any other apps you're running.

NOTE: These kexts should be able to properly identify your graphics card. If you are using dual or multiple monitors, you should only connect one of them to your graphics card once your done with the other steps below and are ready to reboot.

Go to your EFI partition and make a BACK UP your entire EFI folder somewhere (preferably on a USB that's bootable, AND somewhere on your Mojave drive)

In your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, copy the FakeSMC.kext that's there to your desktop.

Finally move your current EFI folder to the trash and empty the trash (your EFI folder and your config file looked pretty suspect, so I think replacing it with mine that is working is the way to go. Just make sure you can access your system so you can reinstall your back up if this fails)

Copy the EFI folder I uploaded here to your EFI partition.

IMPORTANT - REPLACE the FakeSMC.kext that's in MY EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder with the one you copied from yours. ( you can also take this time to ensure that your FakeSMC.kext in your EFI folder AND the FakeSMC.kext in your Library/Extensions/ folder are the SAME version )

Hold your breath and reboot.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 79
  • _BIOS.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 63
Hi, @rocco_77 and readers

You won't believe what I'm going to tell you, in fact I'm ashamed. :crazy:

Yesterday, just before your above reply I was reading the mobo manual and noticed the two kind of SATA3 ports and again, searching for info I've discovered the difference between SATA3 and GSATA3 ports. Well, the first uses Intel controller while the latter uses Marvell. Those are the grey ones separated from the other 6 SATAs block and everybody agree on the fact that Marvel controller isn't a real SATA controller, but a kind of emulation and should be avoided at all.

SATA.png

So, as I was unsure, went to open the case and look which connector I was using for my primary SSD and as expected it was plugged in one of the white connectors, SATA3 (6Gb/s Intel controller). For the sake of testing, I've then changed to the grey connector which is GSATA3 (6Gb/s Marvell controller) and you know what? Yep, no freezes from yesterday, about 24h and no freezes!! Still a bit uncertain, but the system never has been as stable as now.

So I have no idea why, but it's clear that kinda SATA and/or AHCI kexts has something to do here. But, anyway I don't care very much, while the system keeps stable. However, I realized that the startup process is a bit slower and probably the IO speed, not sure enough. What do you think of these speeds? Seems to me like poor numbers...

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 10.56.31.png

Ok I looked over your uploads. Your BIOS screens have a few differences from mine, for example I have HDD S.M.A.R.T. set to DISABLED.... but I may actually try to enable that, so maybe leave that one for now.

Many thanks for taking the time, really. Personally, I prefer to keep this setting enabled, because I would use some monitor or sw to keep an eye on the disks performances for future failures, etc. Useful, at least for me.

Make sure EFI CD/DVD Boot Option is set to AUTO or EFI (not sure if this matters, but I think it did at some point with another install I did on this hardware.... Mine is set to AUTO as you see in my screen shots.

No physical CD/DVD, so nothing to do here.

Set Hard Disk Boot Priority - Set your Mojave drive to the first in the list.
Definitely change your First Boot Device to CDROM. Set Second Boot Device to Hard Disk. Disable Third Boot Device.

I always kept this settings this way, except I have my first device as USB-FDD, for usb booting. No CD/DVD.

I kept my Onboard VGA set to Always Enable, but maybe leave your setting for this alone for now unless you get the freeze error again.

I've changed to always enable, but for the first time since I own this mobo. Funny.

You have Onboard H/W 1394 set Disabled. I don't know what that is, but mine is set to Enabled...

Yes, as I haven't any 1394 device. Some old video cameras has a Firewire connector to transfer video between devices, but nowadays only certain devices have this port.

I know it's been suggested to Disable Onboard Serial Port 1. I have never done that and never had to. Mine has always been set to 3F8/IRQ4. Don't know what that means either honestly, because I never had to learn about it since it never gave me an issue.

No use of serial port since years. Nowadays there are USB/Serial conversors which I'm using in my job (W7 laptop, uggh).

You have PME Event Wake Up set to Disabled. Again, I don't know what that is, but mine is Enabled.
You have Power On by Ring set to Disabled. Again, I don't know what that is, but mine is Enabled.

Those are related to wake up by modem or LAN, I guess. I think it isn't important and left as is.

So for the rest or your instructions I didn't do anything at the moment, but keeping in mind just in case I would need it.

So, that was it. Weird as hell, but happy for now. Again, thanks for your help and hope this would help someone in the same boat.

Best regards and stay safe

Jesus

Last edited:
Wow! Well that's great news... glad your system is running well now.

I am a little confused about what you say here...

I was reading the mobo manual and noticed the two kind of SATA3 ports and again, searching for info I've discovered the difference between SATA3 and GSATA3 ports. Well, the first uses Intel controller while the latter uses Marvell. Those are the grey ones separated from the other 6 SATAs block and everybody agree on the fact that Marvel controller isn't a real SATA controller, but a kind of emulation and should be avoided at all.

I've been using the regular SATA ports and have always kept my system drive connected to SATA0.

What I'm confused about is are you saying the separate SATA ports or GSATA ports that have Marvel controllers SHOULD be avoided or the main block with Intel drivers is the one NOT to use?

Thanks for the education on some of the BIOS settings....

Hi again

As shown in the attached pic, there are 8 ports for SATA.

sata3.png

Ports 0 and 1 are SATA3 Intel
Ports 2, 3, 4 and 5 are SATA2 Intel (half speed)
Ports 6 and 7 are SATA3 Marvell

As well as you, I have plugged my SSD into port 0, which is logical because is the 1st boot disk and port speed is adecuate. But problems arise and by chance, I did plugged my SSD into port 6 and voilá, although some people says that's not recommended, it works for me and not the other way around.

I'm not saying that any port should be avoided, only that regular SATAs don't work properly for me. Sure is my fault and may be some bits are or are not checked in my config, but no idea whatsoever.

Also I'm curious about disk speed transfer in your side. In the event both disks are similar (yours and mine) how good perform in either ports? Would you test yours, please and share your results? No need you to test other ports, only your current setup. I'm using Amorphousdiskmark from the App Store (free of charge) for the tests.

Thanks, mate

Thank you for your test. Wow, 200MB/s is a huge difference...

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-03 a las 23.45.39.png

I think I have to continue researching this issue. May be that's the reason why other people did not recommend using Marvel ports.

I will come backi if I get this fixed somehow.

Thaks for your patience, regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back