Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Those problems solved. Now my Wifi keeps turning off and on again. More searching.

Oh, and I also lost iCloud and iMessage working. And my mac still shows as iMac in About this Mac instead of as mac pro.

Actually, it seems I THOUGHT I had copied over my MLB. I missed it. Once I put it in and restarted all my iCloud logged in. But my iMessage/App Store are still not working. Love it.

But at least System Prefs says I can upgrade to Big Sur directly. My About this Mac still shows an iMac, but lots of other places thinks it's a mac pro.

And I just plugged into ethernet for now until I figure out wifi. Maybe the wifi will work fine in Big Sur. We'll wait and see.

I used UseMacAddr0 in my clover ROM configuration. So not sure what to put in it's place in OC.

"A correctly formatted ROM value - Usually the MAC address of your Ethernet connection". Fixed.

But oddly enough, after fixing iMessage and App Store with this, now System Prefs thinks I can only upgrade to Catalina and not Big Sur.

Last edited:
Thanks, but using my old serial info with the new mac model did work. It's kind of a loophole. There was an article about it on the main page of this site. I'm glad it worked because I hate having to reregister all of my software when it thinks it's a new machine.

You really saved me. I went from thinking I wouldn't be able to upgrade to having the easiest, smoothest upgrade and rock solid results. Seriously. I just wanted to let you know that your good deed of sharing really made a huge difference in at least one person's life. Possibly many more. Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to you!

Seriously. I just wanted to let you know that your good deed of sharing really made a huge difference in at least one person's life. Possibly many more.

Thanks for the kind words, this was the entire point.

Back when I started this thread in 2011, hackintoshing was barely becoming less of a pain, there were other board owners here doing this and I though it was a great idea to pool our knowledge to make things a bit more straightforward for owners at large. (AVS forum back in the day was really a model)

Sometimes, working this out, osx would not even boot anymore. Had to do some creative problem solving to work around failiures.

so yeah, I've been hackintoshing for ages, and love the adrenaline, learned a lot doing it over the years

For other tech I own, I'd rather just have someone else bite the pain. :)

Thanks again Ken, truly, glad it works on your end as well !

Here's opencore 0.5.8 with my wip usb edits.

wake/sleep and usb is going strong

usb2 devices don't work in the usb ports, but the opposite does. (Haven't had the time to look into it further yet)

Has the opencore picker, and

- doesn't include the Ressources folder that can be obtained here https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData
- On my system, I cannot copy the entire Resources folder, too large, need to repartition, but I chose to simply not include all audio files, so no boot chime (meh)
- serials need to be adapted
- hidpi is off, but on ("02") turns it on, opencore 0.5.9 seems like there are commits for OpenCanopy which is maturing fast. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/extras/gui.html

Opencore is super efficient. Nothing is on the os drive. Would really love to try updates, but because of NVIDIA, stuck on Hight Sierra as I previously mentioned. :( (My guess is that it would be solid unless Apple does something crazy like drop x86 :p )
Hi there, thanks for your installations, explanations, and your files. I have the same motherboard but still with the Bios F7 version, and I hope it is not a problem to install Catalina. BTW since you have more or less the same components I have, could you please send me the easiest and safest way to install Catalina on my GA-Z68XP-UD3P? I'm not an expert but I have been using os x on pcs for years now.
Thanks for any help.

Back