Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

ok here it is, will probably change when 0.5.7 comes out, and any suggestion/improvement extremely welcome. :wave:

I was intrigued at the performance benefits to opencore, so far, can't say that the boot is any faster, maybe a smidge slower thank clover, but the system is subtly smoother.

I randomized the serials before uploading, and it's worth it for anyone trying this out to randomize them as well.

it's pretty easy using https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/opencore-configurator/

There are differences when saving the file using that program as the opencore devs say

(I'm using git for the testing to keep track of changes, and there are, you can save a new file and get the PlatformInfo section)

To be clear here's where I'm at in this config, completely replaced clover on my end :

(when using opencore, you should download propertree https://github.com/corpnewt/ProperTree)

- power management seems to work, intel power gadget reports that frequencies are shifting up to my 4.2ghz overclock.

- config enables nvidia web drivers (have a 970)

- sleep works, but keeping an eye on it for a more extended period

- minimize text printing : opencore is in release mode except for OpenCore.efi because for some reason the graphical boot picker didn't work. everything else is in release mode

- there's a graphical boot picker, it's early days for the graphical picker on opencore I find. It's going to get better, it's not as pretty or high resolution as clover.

- press space at the boot picker to get more options

- enabled the mac hotkeys at the picker so this section of the OC doc states :

Code:
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Description: Enable modifier hotkey handling in boot picker.
In addition to action hotkeys, which are partially described in PickerMode section and are normally handled by Apple BDS, there exist modifier keys, which are handled by operating system bootloader, namely boot.efi. These keys allow to change operating system behaviour by providing different boot modes.
On some firmwares it may be problematic to use modifier keys due to driver incompatibilities. To workaround this problem this option allows registering select hotkeys in a more permissive manner from within boot picker. Such extensions include the support of tapping on keys in addition to holding and pressing Shift along with other keys instead of just Shift alone, which is not detectible on many PS/2 keyboards. This list of known modifier hotkeys includes:

• CMD+C+MINUS — disable board compatibility checking.
• CMD+K — boot release kernel, similar to kcsuffix=release.
• CMD+S — single user mode.
• CMD+S+MINUS — disable KASLR slide, requires disabled SIP.
• CMD+V — verbose mode.
• Shift — safe mode.

Attachments

• opencore_0.5.6_GA-Z68XP-UD3P_v01.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
update :

fully committed my rig to opencore, and here's some extra details.

removed all clover related files as per https://github.com/khronokernel/Ope...Guide/blob/master/clover-conversion/README.md clearing out nvram. (this resets the bios, so hopefully you guys have saved bios profiles)

opencore is really more mac like, not 100% sure I agree with this, but giving it a chance :

The startup disk and even the use of nvidia drivers works like on a mac, so it's thought mac os that you set this.
I know this since nvidia always worked, and after resetting the nvram rset tool in the boot picker, nvidia drivers weren't loading the next boot. o_O after setting the startup disk/ nvidia web drivers, everything works.

I dual boot with windows, and I was really tweaking the clover bootloader gui for simplicity, since I'm not the sole user of the computer either. Kids just want to game on windows. so the bootloader gui is a necessity

don't know if/how to make it pick the last booted one,

kinda prefer clover's approach on that, since this is pc running mac os, not a die hard mac.

Then a again, sure goes the extra mile for the vanilla experience for opencore.

To the extent that, if I was starting from scratch, I'd try a single larger drive for the mac and ditch the opencore picker for the a native bootcamp experience and see if it's better. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208123.

Daily driving opencore, and have sleep working solid. (the sleep overnight test)

• sudo pmset autopoweroff 0
  • sudo pmset powernap 0
  • sudo pmset standby 0
EHCI/XHCI Hand-off enabled in firmware settings only if boot stalls unless USB devices are disconnected.

opencore booter documentation in the spoiler button below

5 Booter
5.1 Introduction

This section allows to apply different kinds of UEFI modifications on Apple bootloader (boot.efi). The modifications currently provide various patches and environment alterations for different firmwares. Some of these features were originally implemented as a part of AptioMemoryFix.efi, which is no longer maintained. See Tips and Tricks section for migration steps.

If you are using this for the first time on a customised firmware, there is a list of checks to do first. Prior to starting please ensure that you have:

• Most up-to-date UEFI firmware (check your motherboard vendor website).

• Fast Boot and Hardware Fast Boot disabled in firmware settings if present.

• Above 4G Decoding or similar enabled in firmware settings if present. Note, that on some motherboards (notably

ASUS WS-X299-PRO) this option causes adverse effects, and must be disabled. While no other motherboards

with the same issue are known, consider this option to be first to check if you have erratic boot failures.

• DisableIoMapper quirk enabled, or VT-d disabled in firmware settings if present, or ACPI DMAR table dropped.

• No ‘slide‘ boot argument present in NVRAM or anywhere else. It is not necessary unless you cannot boot at all

or see No slide values are usable! Use custom slide! message in the log.

• CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) disabled in firmware settings if present. Cconsider patching it if you have

enough skills and no option is available. See VerifyMsrE2 notes for more details.

• CSM (Compatibility Support Module) disabled in firmware settings if present. You may need to flash GOP ROM

on NVIDIA 6xx/AMD 2xx or older. Use GopUpdate (see the second post) or AMD UEFI GOP MAKER in case

you are not sure how.

• EHCI/XHCI Hand-off enabled in firmware settings only if boot stalls unless USB devices are disconnected.

• VT-x, Hyper Threading, Execute Disable Bit enabled in firmware settings if present.

• While it may not be required, sometimes you have to disable Thunderbolt support, Intel SGX, and Intel

Platform Trust in firmware settings present.

When debugging sleep issues you may want to (temporarily) disable Power Nap and automatic power off, which appear to sometimes cause wake to black screen or boot loop issues on older platforms. The particular issues may vary, but in general you should check ACPI tables first. Here is an example of a bug found in some Z68 motherboards. To turn Power Nap and the others off run the following commands in Terminal:

sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

• sudo pmset powernap 0

• sudo pmset standby 0

Note: These settings may reset at hardware change and in certain other circumstances. To view their current state use pmset -g command in Terminal.

Ok so have been using open core 0.5.7 for a couple days, seems solid.

replace or generate your own serials.

This uses the new bootpicker OpenCanopy

you'll need to download this separately and add them to the EFI/OC/Ressources

... Still no solid usb3 though.

Attachments

• opencore_0.5.7_GA-Z68XP-UD3P_v01.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
@discreetlogic

Hello... I found this thread by chance, but you have the same mobo as I do and I'm still using it as well. It's been a wonderful machine for me going on 8 years!

I will be going through some of this thread just for fun... but...

I was wondering if you might be able to assist me troubleshooting a maddening issue, that seems to be common, but the common fixes don't work for me for some reason.

I posted a thread about it here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/efi-copied-from-usb-to-ssd-still-no-ssd-in-clover.295472/

The short of it is this...

Are you running Mojave? I'm doing a clean install using Unibeast with a new SSD Samsung 860 EVO. I formatted the drive with the Unibeast USB as APFS with GUID as instructed. Install went fine. I can boot my SSD to desktop, but ONLy with the USB as boot drive, then selecting Mojave SSD at Clover screen. If I set the SSD to be the boot drive in bios, I get to Clover and my SSD Mojave is not there. Neither is the USB for that matter.

Can you help? I would be very grateful for your insight as I'm really frustrated and out of ideas. I'm still a novice with the hackintosh and Clover, but I've been learning here. I just can't get past this hurdle. Thank you!

Are you running Mojave?

nah. I'd be on catalina if it wasn't for nvidia. (hate not having dark mode)

I think it's worth considering upgrading this mobo's bios and go full UEFI, and put in the right settings.

The new uefi bios is rather old by now.

I have been thinking of updating the BIOS, but I've seen others running Mojave on legacy without issues as long as they can get their boot drive to show in Clover Boot.

There are tons of threads about this issue, but most are solved by putting the apfsdriverloader.efi into driver folder. This did not work for me. I know I did legacy install for clover as in the "drivers" folder in Clover folder there is only the BIOS folder to hold the drivers. I'm thinking of just adding the UEFI folder and putting the apfsdriverloader.efi in there as an experiment, although i don't think it will work.

Do you think that going UEFI with my mobo, and starting over might be the trick? or I can just install Clover with UEFI boot after flashing the BIOS. I'm tempted to do this, but not sure if I'm just piling on more variables.

Do you have any other ideas to get my drive to show up? It's formatted APFS when I used the Unibeast USB I created to do the Mojave install... That all went smooth BTW... But the drive not showing up is baffling.

So I take it you are still running High Sierra then?

Thank you for responding.... I would love to hear any other insights you have.

yes high sierra

the UEFI bios upgrade is from gigabyte, it's not a sketchy binary at all.

The whole legacy thing, at least for me is a non issue, and has been for a long time.

I'd update the bios, and get with the times, especially, since this motherboard is capable. I'd dabble into the legacy stuff if I had no choice.

If you're really after reviving the system, you could do the opencore method I shared. it's potentially worth it. (with no nvidia, you could even think of going to catalina)

Back