Contribute
Register

GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 / 10.8 Success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to update soon with my setup for 10.8 but I'm curious if anyone has updated to 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 and if any specific steps need to be followed for it to succeed? As always thanks to tonymac and macman. You guys are AWESOME!!

It's also probably a good idea to mention if you're using f10 or an older bios :)

I'm now on 10.8.2. Everything works, as before.

The only thing that is not working is, that my boot screen resolution is 1280x1024, since the vBIOS's of my graphics card's don't support this mode (VESA). Since my boot time is 4-5 seconds, I don't care too much...

I have the same board. processor I7 2600K / 18G DDR3 1600 / 1Tb WD green HD / Optiarc DVD RW / Gigabyte Nvidia 9600GT . Tried all bios version F8 F9 and F10.
Runs perfect SL and cloned my Macbook pro HD (August 2012 model / ML) to it and boot with iBoot without problem. Problems came after installing the boot loader. System could not boot due to all kind off errors (ACPI, HPET etc) At last I installed SL again to get e fresh start. But who can give some help about how to get ML running.

Thanks in advance,
Dalojan

Ok, I have followed almost all of the suggestions in this thread, but I have issues after installing ML, strangely enough. I used to have a Radeon 6870 card, but had massive problems with that, so I went out tonight and picked up the $29 Nvidia 210. Installed, and got ML loaded up just fine.

However...upon install and reboot, I have full graphics acceleration, but I can't sign into the app store. I have read a lot of threads about this, but haven't found a fix for me.

When I install the DSDT, Chimera, reboot, I get the white apple logo and it hangs there.
When I install just Chimera, same.

Any ideas on what I could try here? Very frustrating because "out of the box" I am 90% there. Anything I do with MultiBeast hoses me though. I've not seen this kind of problem before.

Thanks!

Hi,
I have the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and I just can't get it to work with Mountain Lion! Please help.

Lion worked fine except for problems with the GTI 580 graphics card. So I moved to Mountain Lion with a new EVGA 660 TI.

Now I can install and boot into ML with "GraphicsEnabler=No". But as soon as I install my .aml with Multibeast 5.0.2 I can't get back into ML anymore. It always gets stuck at the gray Apple logo.

First I did it with the UserDSDT option, ALC889... , Network, etc. After reinstalling and reinstalling OSX to get it to work again I now tried only doing the DSDT option. Anyway it just doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong? Any help very much appreciated. Thanks!

For some reason while fooling around this worked for me:

I found this article: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-10-8-1-update-still-waiting-root-device.html

So I connected my internal disk to the macbook and replaced said kexts with the ones in the archive. I removed the npci flag from the bootplst file and then I could boot. Went into Mountain Lion and ran Kext Wizard as described.

After that I went into MB 5.02 again and installed Audio and Network, after another restart I did the TrimEnabler and USB 3.0 (lets see if that works).

Up and running now.

Hi, i have running ML successfully on my z68x-ud5-b3. Only the usb-problem after sleep (usb and pci devices are loses after sleep) i have. I use newest Bios and the newest DSDT of tonymacx86. Could someone get an tip, how to fix the sleep-usb-bug?

I resolved the sleep-pci/usb issue by upgrading to UEFI Bios.

Don't know if this also solves the issue for onboard USB ports as mine just don't work (not an OSX issue, can't boot from USB stick either). Therefore I'm using a USB2.0 PCI card with NEC chip and also had the problem that after wakeup from sleep, all USB ports were dead.

I was previously using bios version F12 on my GA-UD3H-B3. Now with UEFI U1H everything works great.

Following links helped me performing the update:
http://imgur.com/a/f3D2D#0

To disable DSDT during startup, boot with the following parameter in Chimera:
DSDT=/dev/null

Hope it helps as it took me very long to get it working. It's hard to update bios if none of the onboard USB ports are working...

I resolved the sleep-pci/usb issue by upgrading to UEFI Bios.

Don't know if this also solves the issue for onboard USB ports as mine just don't work (not an OSX issue, can't boot from USB stick either). Therefore I'm using a USB2.0 PCI card with NEC chip and also had the problem that after wakeup from sleep, all USB ports were dead.

I was previously using bios version F12 on my GA-UD3H-B3. Now with UEFI U1H everything works great.

Following links helped me performing the update:
http://imgur.com/a/f3D2D#0

To disable DSDT during startup, boot with the following parameter in Chimera:
DSDT=/dev/null

Hope it helps as it took me very long to get it working. It's hard to update bios if none of the onboard USB ports are working...

Thanks for the information! Sadly, those of us with the GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 have not been blessed with a UEFI bios. One hopes they're going to even bother making one. :|

Ok, I have followed almost all of the suggestions in this thread, but I have issues after installing ML, strangely enough. I used to have a Radeon 6870 card, but had massive problems with that, so I went out tonight and picked up the $29 Nvidia 210. Installed, and got ML loaded up just fine.

However...upon install and reboot, I have full graphics acceleration, but I can't sign into the app store. I have read a lot of threads about this, but haven't found a fix for me.

When I install the DSDT, Chimera, reboot, I get the white apple logo and it hangs there.
When I install just Chimera, same.

Any ideas on what I could try here? Very frustrating because "out of the box" I am 90% there. Anything I do with MultiBeast hoses me though. I've not seen this kind of problem before.

Thanks!

you don't need another video card to install ML:
1-make Unibeast bootable usb
2-show hidden files, then in the Unibeast usb delete ATI6000Controller.kext (save it somewhere else, you're gonna need it), you will find it in usb/S/L/E
3-boot from Unibeast usb after typing GraphicsEnabler=No
4-install ML as usual
5-when reboot from Unibeast, type again GraphicsEnabler=No, then install Multibeast and its stuff, DO NOT REBOOT
6-copy ATI6000Controller.kext (remember, I told you to save it somwhere) on your new desktop and run kextbeast.
7-enjoy your Radeon 6870 card!

about apple store login:
I tried this methods, and they worked for me!
http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desktop-support/29615-app-store-login-error-solution.html

I hope this helps! :)

Thanks to this thread, and all you wonderful folks, here are my install notes for this board: with i7 2600k, F10 bios, 8GB RAM, OC'ed to 4.0ghz, Gigabyte ATI 6870 1GB, SSD, multi-hd and multi OS (Win7 64bit and XP work through Vmware Fusion 5.0 and native mode via boot loader).

These are the steps I did:

Final install notes.

### 1st Boot:
Changed back to stock clocks in BIOS, and set all settings as close as I could, detailed in this thread in post #10 by Smolderas (thanks!):
Removed all other hard drives and cards except for DVD.

Booted with GraphicsEnabler=No into 10.8.0 using this modded installer (Unibeast of 10.8.0 with ATI6000Controller.kext moved, original is in subfolder, usually stored in installer's S/L/E)
Partitioned SSD drive that is plugged into SATA 6Gbps port 0 (white one, near the board)
Setup ML as usual
Installed and ran SHOWALLFILES so we can see hidden ATI6000Controller.kext.

Copy 3 files from 8GB installer USB stick onto Desktop -
DSDT.aml, (F10 version)
ATI6000Controller.kext (original that was pulled from installer to be able to boot with my ATI 6870),
Dil83's AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext (MB 513 version will not eject my DVD drive with the Apple keyboard, see this thread for more info/download, I used the one in post #49 - thank you Dil83! http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/60793-eject-button-ml-5.html )

Ran Combo Update for 10.8.2; didn't restart.

Ran MB 513 instead of 502 with USERDSDT, ALC889 with DSDT, Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81xx and 3RD Party SATA (it will be replaced in next step though), TRIM Enabler for SSD.

Ran KextBeast, then Ran KextUtility to install the 3 copied desktop kexts to S/L/E and fix permissions.

Restart.

### 2nd Reboot:
-v as a boot flag.
MB 513 - installed SSDT for OC Sandy Bridge i7 because I saw some pstate errors/pauses.

### 3rd and rest of restarts:
Completely usable at this point. TRIM support works on Crucial M3 128GB, drives are most times orange, sometimes not.
Sleep/restart/wake all work fine
Ran disk utility/fix permissions.
Added other drives (3TB, 500GB, 240GB SSD)
Verified that Win7 and XP work fine in Vmware Fusion as well as "Bootcamp"
DVD's work
App store works.
Added PCIe Firewire 800 card, works fine.

### QUIRKS: - tests section has all fixes/workarounds for issues I encountered - leaving in the format I wrote it in since I'm continuing to document any tweaks.

VGA monitor sometimes blanks out if plugged into first port - plug adapter into 2nd mini-display port on Gigabyte 6870 1GB. Three 1080p monitors work fine, 4 do not.
Boot sometimes takes a while (35+ seconds) (-v shows p-state error, and/or pausing during ACPI section.)
Wake On Lan (WOL) doesn't work, NIC seems to not have any power in sleep mode - EVEN IN WIN7.
Time may be different by 6 hours (GMT -6) if you restart into Windows, but NTP will fix it if you have it set right.
Drives plugged into last two (Black 3Gbps) SATA ports will show as Orange, but System Profiler will show 6 different Intel 6 Series Chipset ports and proper link speeds/SMART data.
Have not tested USB 3.0, don't have any USB 3.0 devices though, System profiler only shows USB 2.0 and 480MBps
Haven't yet tested eSata ports
2nd MAC address for NIC works, kind of (Add another Ethernet adapter in Network), don't know what I can really do with it.
PCI RTL8169 based cards don't work as a 2nd GBe NIC as it did in Lion, maybe because ML is purely 64bit, and those are 32bit? Not too sure.
Have not tested digital audio, either through HDMI, or Optical/Coax. Don't have a way to.

Tests:
11/25/12
Trying SSDT SandyBridge OC from MB 513 for p-state error.
Response: Fixed P-states, add to guide after trying definition change from macpro3,1 to imac12,2
Definition change did nothing for operation or benchmarks (geekbench is around 12000), leaving notes here for further improvements. Left as imac12,2 since MacPro3,1 never came with Sandy Bridge.
- Issue fixed

11/26/12
UseKernelCache=No seems to make it boot very quickly (5 seconds), installing ChameleonWizard to disable it as a test and modify some other things. Rebuilding kextcache and permissions does nothing for this issue.
ChameleonWizard = UseKernelCache is unchecked, menu is set to Quiet Boot in boot.plist.
Response: Boot is instant after POST.
- Issue fixed (workaround)

Changed theme to "Choose your OS" in ChameleonWizard, and set menu to 1 second (Quiet boot is hard to catch since it boots so fast).

11/26/12
WOL doesn't work, and doesn't work in Win 7 - PME/wake settings don't do anything in BIOS in regards to this. I don't really care at this point, time to enjoy my new HacProInMyOldG5Case - Hey, it's Apple hardware, I'm even still using an actual Apple 500GB hard drive... for XP :)

EOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back