Contribute
Register

GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 / 10.8 Success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think your right and was making over complicated :)

So for all folks using the "Z68X-UD5-B3" the installation of ML is painless. Just keep it simple and don't do what I did and over think it and make it more complicated than it has to be.

These are the steps I did:

1. Use the unibeast tut. - Tonymac's x86 Unibeast 1.5.2 tut works. Just do one step at a time. I believe that will eliminate 80% of the problems people are having.
2. Once booted from unibeast, and you have done the ML installation thing. (I didn't log into iTunes or App Store. and I wasn't connected to the internet) I run the latest MB (4.6.1) I choose "UserDSDTInstall" and "Repair Permissions" ONLY.
3. Rebooted from my SSD. with no panic's, so now yr on the dektop now. I plugged in the ethernet cable. Open safari too check to see your online.
4. I then logged into iTunes, app store and iCloud. all without drama or errors.
5. I opened MB again and this I selected "UseeDSDT" "Repair Permissions" and "ALC8xxHDA" and "AppleHDA Rollback"
6. Rebooted once again, No panics or errors.
7. Open MB again the same things as last time but I added "Trim" since I use a Sandisk Extreme 240gb SSD
8. Rebooted again
9. Added in my Fav apps from my Lion Time Machine.
10. Rebooted. no panics no errors.

What is working:
- sleep and wake. I just hit the " ESC" button on keyboard and about 1 sec delay and she wakes up ready to use, mouses moves and keyboards types.
- All usb ports are working front and rear. I even pulled then out, without using the right click "eject". Which can give you grief some times.
- DVD Rom eject using " F12" and also the eject icon which is on the top menu bar.

Whats not working?, Nothing so far. If you want to test and try please post and I will try too.

Now its time to start to crank it up. The speeds I posted are a bit down I think as I was running iTunes plus doing a back up with Time machine while doing them

Heres pic's just for fun

Attachments

• Mtn_Lion nova.jpg
    Mtn_Lion nova.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 223
  • MtnLIon.jpg
    MtnLIon.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Specs.png
    Specs.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 310
Hi, i have a GA-Z68X-UD4B3, i7 3500K, 32GB corsair ram, 2 SSD corsair, XFX radeon 6870, airport extreme in PCI, black caviar 1TB for files, and i can install ML perfectly then run Multibeast, everything works but a every boot i have to wait 8-10 minutes to get USB and keyboard work, after this run ok. Any solution ??? I use apple USB keyboard and logitech mouse
Thanks

run Verbose and post it perhaps some can help you. Without out some lead its its hard to help you. But Its not a serious as in that its probadly trying to search and load kets that aren't there.
For example its its trying to look for 3 things that aren't on yr system and the each search take 10 sec you have just added 30 sec to yr load up time.

Yeah I think your right and was making over complicated :)

So for all folks using the "Z68X-UD5-B3" the installation of ML is painless. Just keep it simple and don't do what I did and over think it and make it more complicated than it has to be.

These are the steps I did:

1. Use the unibeast tut. - Tonymac's x86 Unibeast 1.5.2 tut works. Just do one step at a time. I believe that will eliminate 80% of the problems people are having.
2. Once booted from unibeast, and you have done the ML installation thing. (I didn't log into iTunes or App Store. and I wasn't connected to the internet) I run the latest MB (4.6.1) I choose "UserDSDTInstall" and "Repair Permissions" ONLY.
3. Rebooted from my SSD. with no panic's, so now yr on the dektop now. I plugged in the ethernet cable. Open safari too check to see your online.
4. I then logged into iTunes, app store and iCloud. all without drama or errors.
5. I opened MB again and this I selected "UseeDSDT" "Repair Permissions" and "ALC8xxHDA" and "AppleHDA Rollback"
6. Rebooted once again, No panics or errors.
7. Open MB again the same things as last time but I added "Trim" since I use a Sandisk Extreme 240gb SSD
8. Rebooted again
9. Added in my Fav apps from my Lion Time Machine.
10. Rebooted. no panics no errors.

What is working:
- sleep and wake. I just hit the " ESC" button on keyboard and about 1 sec delay and she wakes up ready to use, mouses moves and keyboards types.
- All usb ports are working front and rear. I even pulled then out, without using the right click "eject". Which can give you grief some times.
- DVD Rom eject using " F12" and also the eject icon which is on the top menu bar.

Whats not working?, Nothing so far. If you want to test and try please post and I will try too.

Now its time to start to crank it up. The speeds I posted are a bit down I think as I was running iTunes plus doing a back up with Time machine while doing them

Heres pic's just for fun

Has anyone used the mb 5.0.2 with this guide? any success or failures with the newer versions or changes that should be known?

Has anyone used the mb 5.0.2 with this guide? any success or failures with the newer versions or changes that should be known?

I have successfully used MB 5.0.2 with this motherboard without problems. I had a lot of trouble getting ML to boot before I found this thread (yet I had no trouble getting Lion to work last year); I think once I upgraded the BIOS to F10 everything started to work.

In the BIOS, make sure your SATA control mode is set to AHCI, and the HPET to 64bit (see smolderas pictures in post #10). I ignored the overclocking settings. I used the DSDT in the database here for this board (F10 version) as-is.

After the initial reboot into the freshly installed ML, I placed the DSDT on my desktop and renamed it "DSDT.aml" and ran MB 5.0.2. Here's what I used:
- UserDSDT or DSDT-Free installation
- Drivers | Audio | With DSDT | ALC889
- Drivers | Disk | IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (otherwise I would get the old "Still waiting for root device" error)
- Drivers | Graphics | NVIDIA GTX 470 | 10.8.0 OpenCL Enabler
- Drivers | Miscellaneous | FakeSMC
- Drivers | Miscellaneous | FameSMC Plugins | Motherboard Plugins
- Drivers | Miscellaneous | FameSMC Plugins | NVIDIA GeForce Plugins
- Drivers | Miscellaneous | FameSMC Plugins | HWMonitor Application
- Drivers | Network | Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81xx
- Bootloaders | Chimera v1.11.1 r1394
- Customization | Boot Options | Generate CPU States
- Customization | System Definitions | iMac | iMac12,2
- Customization | SSDT Options | Sandy Bridge Core i7

After MB was done I restarted, booted from the ML partition with the new Chimera, and *everything* worked fine. Sleep, sound, networking, OpenCL, CPU throttling... It's not perfect, but it's already better than my Lion install!

Things I have to fix eventually:
- Booting is slower than Lion, I'm getting some unexplained pauses of several seconds.
- All drives are tagged as external (orange) in Finder.
- I need to update FakeSMC + plugins to use the recent HWMonitor stuff, what's in MB works but is already outdated.
- My GTX470 doesn't like 1920x1080x32 as a startup resolution in Chameleon, so the boot screen doesn't fill the screen correctly.

Hope this helps!

This thread has been an immense help to me, and I'm very grateful! I just got a SSD so I thought I'd do a clean install of ML and all has gone well so far. All USB ports seem to work fine. My only problem is the orange hard drive icon, not sure what that's all about. Hopefully nothing else gets messed up! I'll post back again once I use it for a few days and see if there are any other kinks to work out.

Care to share how you got sleep working? I can get it to sleep and wake, but I need to replugin my keyboard / mouse for them to function again.

I have USB Legacy enabled in BIOS and I don't believe I have any KEXTs for USB 3.0 support. If you can let me know how you have these settings set, that would be great.

--------------------------
UPDATE

Never mind. The difference here is DSDT v. F8 VS DSDT V. F10. F10 had changes made to fix USB devices on wake ;)

Use the latest DSDT for sleep.

Its "sort of" working for me on this board. F10 bios, HD 5770 with GraphicsEnabler=No set.

When I say sort of, sleep doesn't work it will never come out of sleep and BIOS settings are the same as everyone elses.

MajorFU for me is that I have to use the Russian and German keyboards, and whenever I change the language or choose the Show keyboard viewer option, I get pinwheel of death which then locks up the whole system. Restarting produces a pinwheel at the login box and is totally screwed needing a full re-install. There might be an easier way, but I'm considering downgrading to Lion again because the only reason I wanted ML was for desktop mirroring which didn't work for me in ML (tried MacMini and iMac profiles but nothing)so had to buy Airparrot.

I only chose the options for custom DSDT and used the correct one for my board from here,
Incidentally, ethernet and audio worked out of the box for me without needing to install/change anything.

I'm hoping to update soon with my setup for 10.8 but I'm curious if anyone has updated to 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 and if any specific steps need to be followed for it to succeed? As always thanks to tonymac and macman. You guys are AWESOME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back