Contribute
Register

G4 Cube PSU Re-Stuffed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I spoke too soon. They want me to return the old one to get a new one. I am thinking about not doing it as it will likely keep me out of modding for a few weeks. I mean how much do I need the USB header anyway? Thoughts?

You asked for it... Literally lamest "progress post" of all time. I am anticipating only receiving the replacement board from Intel and not the entire kit. If that is the case I will not use the NUC case bottom inside the PSU because I will keep my current NUC as is/save it for another project (I'm thinking perhaps inside the new Mac Pro case as nothing aside from a NUC board will fit in there) and just use the new board with USB header. You can see what I mean by the "bumps" where the original power plug was. Perhaps I will grind it down so it is even. Otherwise I am planning to leave the cord end as is and find a 2 dollar momentary switch to stick in there. I found a good 10 mm one on ebay, but it has a blue LED. I figure swapping in a white LED shouldn't be too tricky.

Your rear IO looks great spence. I think I'd leave it as is rather than taking more off. I'm not surprised that intel will RMA the product because it's advertised with the USB connections, and you didn't get them.

I don't think you'd regret waiting, the three internal USB connections are a nice feature... One worth waiting for IMO. I am likely going to add IR to mine, too, i have the extra pins sitting there ready for it and the space to fit it in. Up to you.

Ersterhernd

Your rear IO looks great spence. I think I'd leave it as is rather than taking more off. I'm not surprised that intel will RMA the product because it's advertised with the USB connections, and you didn't get them.

I don't think you'd regret waiting, the three internal USB connections are a nice feature... One worth waiting for IMO. I am likely going to add IR to mine, too, i have the extra pins sitting there ready for it and the space to fit it in. Up to you.

Ersterhernd

Thanks. I agree with leaving it as is. I am supposed to have three internal headers? I thought it was only two. I will wait it out as having the expansion option really is one if the main attractions of goofing around with this stuff.

Two headers plus the single female USB which is inside your PSU build.

All three are internal once the end caps go on. That's what I meant.

Ersterhernd

Just ordered an IR from powerbookmedic. $2.95 plus 2.00 dollars shipping. Under 5 bucks delivered to Canada. Some things you just can't argue with. :thumbup:

Ersterhernd

Was having some issues with sleep on this NUC DB3217IYE and I think I've got it solved.

In BIOS I set both of the following to DISABLED

PCIe ASPM Support
Native ACPI OS PCIe Support

In org.chameleon.boot.plist I set Darkwake=10.

Using the power button, I've managed to sleep and re-wake this NUC about 7 times in a row in several minutes. Maybe thats good news, I hope it keeps up...

Ersterhernd

Cube switch as the power switch.... possible? WIll I have to do an iCubeFan move and get a pico PSU in the shell? I don't mind that , but I am concerned that all of a sudden I am going to have extra wires sticking out the back. Thoughts?

So I spoke too soon. They want me to return the old one to get a new one. I am thinking about not doing it as it will likely keep me out of modding for a few weeks. I mean how much do I need the USB header anyway? Thoughts?

Possible I guess, but added expense and more work. I was thinking if you found a perfectly sized and attractive round switch cover, that would give a factory look to the front end cap with the touch sensor underneath. getting it to light up would be WAAAYYY cool. Not easy though, fastening it may be a hurdle too.

Ersterhernd

A little update. The BCM43222 (Dell 1510) Wifi showed up today from eBay. Signal strength and transfer speeds using the original NUC antennas are excellent. Average about 2 MB/sec across the network. Will definitely keep the NUC antennas in there.

While I had the PSU machine apart, I added a double USB connector to the header on the NUC. One side is for the existing A1181 Bluetooth, and the other I wired into another internal female header. Since the floor of the build was already full, I mounted it to the roof of the build with a 2-sided 3M sticky pad. The goal is wire my IR Receiver up to a short male USB plug and simply plug it in. This seemed like a reasonably simple solution, and I already had a Startech female plug in my parts drawer so it cost me zero.

I keep a bootable USB backup stick plugged into the USB on the board that sits in the PSU machine. I use it for emergency only if my mSATA SSD won't boot. It is visible in the first pic below.

The double USB header plugged into the NUC motherboard

IMG_3840.JPG

The Startech female USB plug (12" wire) mounted to the roof

IMG_3841.JPG

Just waiting now for the IR Receiver.

Ersterhernd

Cube switch as the power switch.... possible? WIll I have to do an iCubeFan move and get a pico PSU in the shell? I don't mind that , but I am concerned that all of a sudden I am going to have extra wires sticking out the back. Thoughts?
You should be able to power a cube switch with a small DC-DC converter, see the ebay Link. It is smaller than PICO PSU, so should fit in the case.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustab...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ae4818c9&_uhb=1

The NUC board has a socket just behind the main external power connector, that provides 19V directly from the external PSU. Some NUC boards dont have the connector, but do have two large holes (where the connector should be), it should be possible to solder two small wires to these holes.

This should sort out powering the Cube switch, without external changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back