Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock X570M Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 3700x
Graphics
RX 580
Another Cube project, this time WITHOUT the Cube!

The build will utilize Intel's new NUC i3 motherboard encased in a G4 Cube power supply. The goodies are purchased and the build is just beginning. Special thanks to Minihack for inspiring this idea. It will feature Apple Wifi and Bluetooth, 128 GB mSATA, 8 GB 1333 DDR3.

Will add photos as this progresses.

photojun01162556.jpg

Cheers!

Ersterhernd

Some of you guys seem to manage to churn out more computer models in a year than Apple. Lovin' all these modded builds using old Apple Tech and enjoy reading about them. Please keep them coming! :)

Subscribed

Well, I was only being half serious......will watch this one closely.
:)

Edit: By the way I managed to bring my own Cube PSU back to life by doing a capacitor swap. Not the easiest take apart I have ever done - I will buy you a virtual beer if you manage to open the case without breaking a plastic tab.

I'll watch your build closely and I hope I can borrow some of your cool ideas ;)

BTW Are you going to use the stock fan ? why did you choose the Ethernet model over the thunderbolt?

Does your model have an internal USB header?

cheers

Not the easiest take apart I have ever done - I will buy you a virtual beer if you manage to open the case without breaking a plastic tab.

No need for that beer Minihack, I snapped them at both ends of the PSU. This build isn't using the ends of the steel cage anyway, the plastic caps hold nicely with the friction fit.

Cheers!

I'll watch your build closely and I hope I can borrow some of your cool ideas ;)

BTW Are you going to use the stock fan ? why did you choose the Ethernet model over the thunderbolt?

Does your model have an internal USB header?

Hi iCubeFan,

Yes I will be utilizing the stock cooler. The version I chose has 5 USB ports which I need more than TBolt, that's why I chose it. It has two internal USB headers. Still planning this out, but preliminary measurements look fabulous for fitment of this little work of art. Will post pics ASAP.

Cheers!

The old guts. Junk now.

photojun01164921.jpg

Ersterhernd

The old guts. Junk now.

photojun01164921.jpg

Ersterhernd

No........don't throw it away someone will want that!

Okay, so a little over dramatic there, but it really is a shame to see one of those go to the dump if it still worked.

And yes, the two tabs broke on me too. As you say though there is a good friction fit and I see no need to worry about that on my PSU.

Those little end walls look really nice to just make up a replacement panel for that will just fit in there nicely for an IO plate.

Are you planning this as a behind TV mount or as a standalone little desktop? I think the case is quite good looking and will make a great change from the Mac Mini shape and the little white Apple logo on the top is the touch that makes this much nicer than just a "box".

Another very cool project "made by ersterhernd". :thumbup:

When I did my Cube project, I had the idea to reuse the PSU housing for the AMP. It is still in its original condition...

Good luck with this project.

MacTester

Build Log 1 - The Case Floor

In this build the placement of the NUC board in the Cube PSU needed to be precisely measured for an accurate vertically centered seating. The motherboard would be upside down, as it was in the Intel product, with the CPU fan & heatsink at the top of the case. The first step was to create a 'floor' for the PSU, that would hold the entire build on top of it. There are four standoffs and screws that held the original G4 PSU to the bottom of the inner metal shell; those standoffs would be used to secure the new floor in the case. I cut the floor from a leftover G5 PSU Cover (floor) that was unused from a previous project.

IMG_3763.JPG

This formed the base for the project to be build upon. It would later be slightly modified to allow a screwdriver to be inserted from the bottom to tighten down the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back