Contribute
Register

G4 Cube PSU Re-Stuffed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cube switch as the power switch.... possible? WIll I have to do an iCubeFan move and get a pico PSU in the shell? I don't mind that , but I am concerned that all of a sudden I am going to have extra wires sticking out the back. Thoughts?

Hi Spence

You wouldn't have any extra wires sticking out the back.You will need a short DC split cable an a extra hole for the pico power plug

55944-dc-splitter.JPG

Anyway kiwi's solution seems better for your build, I don't know if the pico will fit in there.

You should be able to power a cube switch with a small DC-DC converter, see the ebay Link. It is smaller than PICO PSU, so should fit in the case.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustab...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ae4818c9&_uhb=1

The NUC board has a socket just behind the main external power connector, that provides 19V directly from the external PSU. Some NUC boards dont have the connector, but do have two large holes (where the connector should be), it should be possible to solder two small wires to these holes.

This should sort out powering the Cube switch, without external changes

Kiwi, thanks for the suggestion. Just looked at the pictures... how would I go about plugging that thing into the NUC board. For the record, I do not have the two plugs that you mention, just like I am missing the internal USB header. ersterhernd, do you have the two socket white plug on yours? I've seen it in some pictures, but always on boards with USB headers. Anyway, once I get the proper board, how do I plug this contraption in? How do I grab the 5V from it, and is it going to be the standby power I need to get the touch sensor working? Obviously, I'm electrically challenged and I anticipate with a product coming from Shenzhen for 5 bucks that I will not even get Chiense instructions, let alone English :)

Spence

Spence, I just took off the back cover to look and yes I do have the white connector. According to Intel's product spec... "The internal 1 x 2 power connector is a Molex 5566-2 header which accepts a Molex 5557-02R connector from the power supply." but I'll promise you there is no way you'll fit a male connector onto that, just look how tight it is in the pic. You could likely wire in two wires and situate the step-down voltage converter somewhere else in the PSU case.

I see that the Front Header has a 5v DC pin. I don't know if this is live all the time (ie: 5v Standby). Perhaps check it with the system powered off (green light on). Maybe you'll be surprised to find out it will solve your issue, who knows. There's nothing really discussed about it in the product spec.

2wxz.jpg

Ersterhernd

ersterhernd, you are absolutely right - no way I'm plugging anything into that, unless i drill a big hole in the bottom plate of the NUC case and run the wires underneath. By front panel do you mean the internal front panel header that I have that is next to your USB header and my empty space? By testing it to see if it is 5V standby does that mean green light on and using a voltmeter or some such contraption?

Spence

ersterhernd, you are absolutely right - no way I'm plugging anything into that, unless i drill a big hole in the bottom plate of the NUC case and run the wires underneath. By front panel do you mean the internal front panel header that I have that is next to your USB header and my empty space? By testing it to see if it is 5V standby does that mean green light on and using a voltmeter or some such contraption?

Spence

I'd be careful about drilling down there. The hole would have to be large and it's very close to the edge of the plastic base. One *SNAP* and its all over for that screw hole in the base. It wouldn't be difficult to just wire in anyway. Yes, a voltage meter is required. If you don't have one its worth picking up a cheapie for your tool drawer anyway.

Ersterhernd

Couple more questions... What if I flipped the board over? Would I be able to plug that two pronged thing in? If I do that though it seems like that is where I would be getting my power from not the little hole in the back panel, correct? If the 5V on the 9 pin turns out to not be standby, is there a way to tap into the green light? I mean it is the light that indicates the 5V standby is working... That may be the dumbest question ever, but to a rookie it seems logical.

Couple more questions... What if I flipped the board over? Would I be able to plug that two pronged thing in? If I do that though it seems like that is where I would be getting my power from not the little hole in the back panel, correct? If the 5V on the 9 pin turns out to not be standby, is there a way to tap into the green light? I mean it is the light that indicates the 5V standby is working... That may be the dumbest question ever, but to a rookie it seems logical.

The board only works in the updside-down configuration with the CPU on top. The green light? Ooooooooo, proceed at own risk! :eek:

Not to be trolling other sites but it seems that these cats may have figured this out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/printthread.php?tid=140534&page=73

By page 82 they seem to have gotten it although they are using pins 2 and 5 or 2 and 3. Seems that 9 and 5 should work, but as I mentioned before, I'm no electrician. If anyone is curious and goes over there to take a look, please let a dumb kid know if there is in fact a 5V standby option on the NUC.

Yes Spence thats an interesting thread. Seems that 5V standby is possible. Question I have is how would the Cube proximity sensor be wired in? In my experience, only three wires are used from the sensor, those being 5VSB and the + and - to the power switch pins on the Front Panel Header. The Simerec IR unit they are discussing actually uses four wires, not three. Two to the Standby Source and ground, and two to the power switch pins.

How is it possible to wire this using only three wires? Anyone else care to jump in? MiniHack?

Ersterhernd

Hi,

I' m not an expert but by reading at this http://forum.xbmc.org/printthread.php?tid=140534&page=83 it looks like it's possible to power on/ off the NUC by using an IR receiver.

So somehow there has to be a 5VSB.

What I don't see is how to wire these 2 & 5 pins to the Cube power switch connector.

Maybe minihack can shed some light

EDIT: @ersterhernd LOL almost same post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back