Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

There is no firmware upgrades on the card, I wouldn't know how to. If there was a firmware upgrade then it would definitely not be OOTB.

The EFI mod is to move some of the bootable files from the main disk to the EDI disk partition so that the 280X card boots correctly. I am not sure why its needed but it is needed, is simple to do and is quick.

Rob

Reason for this is the EFI of the GPU - needs to be initialized from EFI boot, hence, the boot files are moved to the EFI partition. I thought this was only needed for Asus mainboards and not needed on Gigabyte.

I have a X79 build with a 3960K CPU and I do have GTX 970 and a R9 280X with 64GB of 2133MHZ memory I can give FCX bench a run and see what it does at different clock speeds.

My rig has already embarrassed a lot overpriced X99 builds while costing less.

You *may* have to take one of the cards out to make sure you get maximum speed. FCP X doesn't work well with different architectures. I've tried it with on-board Intel GPU's at the same time as the AMD cards and it defaulted to the Intel GPU which was annoying.

No crashes but it just worked slowly. AFAIK nobody has quite worked out which cards get favoured if there are multiple and different types of cards.

I'd be interested in the results.

Thought I would just revive this thread to let everyone know NVIDIA is back in the game! Just got my Titan X installed and I'm finally happy with the performance.

i7 4790k @ 4ghz
32GB Ram 1866mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 512gb
EVGA Titan X

Old setup with Gainward GTX 780 GLH edition: 64sec
New setup with EVGA Titan X: 25.6sec

Amazing performance for a single card configuration, while an expensive card for the performance compared to ATI it will still demolish ATI when it comes to gaming. Will give it another go later with the CPU ramped up and maybe a mild GPU overclock.

Now If I could only get this stupid mainboard and CPU to stop hard locking randomly!

Thought I would just revive this thread to let everyone know NVIDIA is back in the game! Just got my Titan X installed and I'm finally happy with the performance.

i7 4790k @ 4ghz
32GB Ram 1866mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 512gb
EVGA Titan X

Old setup with Gainward GTX 780 GLH edition: 64sec
New setup with EVGA Titan X: 25.6sec

Amazing performance for a single card configuration, while an expensive card for the performance compared to ATI it will still demolish ATI when it comes to gaming. Will give it another go later with the CPU ramped up and maybe a mild GPU overclock.

Now If I could only get this stupid mainboard and CPU to stop hard locking randomly!

So a $1,000 nVidia Titan X card (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-384bit-Graphics-12G-P4-2990-KR/dp/B00UVN21RQ) is still slower than my dual 280X cards for FCP X :D I get 23-24 secs for the Bruce X benchmark at 50% of the cost.

I also note in passing that I used to get 32 seconds for a pair of 5770's doing the Bruce X benchmark and they cost around $100 for the pair of them. Thats 10% of the costs

In all seriousness, thats great that sheer brute force gets a Titan working with FCP X but its still a poor value for money card for FCP X. I have no doubt that BF4 would be excellent though.

Rob

So a $1,000 nVidia Titan X card (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-384bit-Graphics-12G-P4-2990-KR/dp/B00UVN21RQ) is still slower than my dual 280X cards for FCP X :D I get 23-24 secs for the Bruce X benchmark at 50% of the cost.

I also note in passing that I used to get 32 seconds for a pair of 5770's doing the Bruce X benchmark and they cost around $100 for the pair of them. Thats 10% of the costs

In all seriousness, thats great that sheer brute force gets a Titan working with FCP X but its still a poor value for money card for FCP X. I have no doubt that BF4 would be excellent though.

Rob

I didn't buy it for FCPx, I brought it for gaming, no crossfire / SLI and power consumption lol. It uses the same power as my GTX 780 and is dead quiet. I still use FCPx though and its nice not having to change graphics cards. I rekon 20sec will be doable with a little overclock and putting my CPU back to 4.5ghz. I redid my GTX 780 benchmark and it did 58sec down from 64sec with 4.5ghz.

I have also noticed that once you get into the 20sec range it gets much harder knocking time off such as people running 3 x cards.

Find you a couple of inexpensive used HD5770 cards on eBay and use them. Works better than most nVidia cards.

I have this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/ATI-Radeon-H...er_Computer_Graphikkarten&hash=item3f48d54e43 but you can also use any of the MacPro HD5770 or HD6870 upgrade cards with no problems.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was looking at picking up a second 6870 to improve FCPX performance and wanted to ask a couple questions.

In other (older) threads it looked like crossfire was not supported in OSX. Is it now supported? I would think it would have to be to see performance increases by going to a 2 card set up.

If using an additional 6870 card, do you have to do this "EFI mod" that was mentioned, or is that just for the 280X cards?

Are the benefits of the two cards only for FCPX or would you actually see the benefit in gaming and across the system?

Any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure if it's been noted anywhere, but when editing h.264 files in FCP X, you need to have the Intel Graphics enabled even if you are using an external graphics card. I am using a 650ti, and my 4k h.264 files from my GH4 suffered from choppy playback when more than one clip was put on the timeline. The first clip would play fine, but then on the next clip, it would drop frames. If I stopped and hit play, it would play fine again until the next clip and so on. I finally discovered I had my Intel 4600 chip disabled. I checked inject intel in Clover Configurator, restarted, and now it plays the timeline smooth as silk, and snappy too. FCP x must use the quicktime h.264 accelerator in the Intel chip when it's enabled.

Im looking for a Final Cut Pro X 4k Machine !

My budget is 1600$ + a 4K Monitor 400$

So i cant get a imac 5k or a mac pro.

i think i will use 2 250GB SSD's in RAID 1

And a 3TB internal HD + a 3 TB external HD (Does exist already)

Do you think a Intel i5 will do it? or even a i3? How much GHZ? Overclocking?

Also a 650 TI could be a good choice. Or not?

i will use a second 1080p monitor.. so i will need a second gpu?

As a mainboard a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ?

I have so many Questions...

Greets Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back