Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had only one tested the internal 4600 graphics? Or the Nvidia GeForce GT 740. From what I've seen it won't be much of an upgrade.

And it would be great if someone would organize times per graphics card.

Finally broke down and bought:
Gigabyte R9 290X GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card GV-R929XOC-4GD

$362.09

TonyMacX86 is a HackIntosh Board but I thought this might be of interest. I'm waiting for an X99 kernel.

The test yielded 29.5 on my 3.43 GHZ 2010 Mac Pro desktop, 12 Core, 64GB ECC Ram, EVO SSD etc.

I ran this under Yosemite 10.10.1 FCPX 10.1.4.
29.5 seconds puts this rebuilt machine in the same league as the current MacPro, no thunderbolt, but plenty if USB3 put;ets (9 to be exact).

The SSD is mounted on a PCIE2 card.

Finally broke down and bought:
Gigabyte R9 290X GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card GV-R929XOC-4GD

$362.09

TonyMacX86 is a HackIntosh Board but I thought this might be of interest. I'm waiting for an X99 kernel.

The test yielded 29.5 on my 3.43 GHZ 2010 Mac Pro desktop, 12 Core, 64GB ECC Ram, EVO SSD etc.

I ran this under Yosemite 10.10.1 FCPX 10.1.4.
29.5 seconds puts this rebuilt machine in the same league as the current MacPro, no thunderbolt, but plenty if USB3 put;ets (9 to be exact).

The SSD is mounted on a PCIE2 card.
What does the GPU look like in System Information?
How is it reported? Pic is possible?

Yosemite 10.1.1

FCPX 10.1.3

4790K@stock
Asus Z97M-PLUS
24Gb DDR3-1600
SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb
Asus GTX670 2Gb
iMac 15,1

ProRes 422 (because H264 crashed)

Results ----> 53-56sec (did the test 3 times)

Anyone has 1 (or 2) GTX970/980 to test ? I'm pretty curious to see how they perform in OS X OpenCL !

i recently switched from premiere to fcpx and noticed some weird performance differences. on my 2013 macbook air fcpx was way faster. im actually able to edit native 4k h264 material on my 2 year old base model macbook air. i thought that was pretty amazing. in premiere everything was slightly laggy.

but on my i7-3770k, 16GB RAM, 650 ti -desktop it was a different story. premiere felt much better opposed to fcpx. i got 79s on my desktop and around 180s on my macbook air for the brucex test, but in many instances my macbook air actually feels faster. isnt that super weird?

do you guys think that this could be because of the nvidia graphics card? for a moment i though about getting an original apple computer, but i should probably just try something from ATI before throwing my hackintosh out of the window.

i really wanted a gtx 960 because im a big fan of its efficiency and it seems to hold up against a 280x in performance at only 50% of its power usage. but because of this thread im now considering a 280x instead.

any other recommandations?

i recently switched from premiere to fcpx and noticed some weird performance differences. on my 2013 macbook air fcpx was way faster. im actually able to edit native 4k h264 material on my 2 year old base model macbook air. i thought that was pretty amazing. in premiere everything was slightly laggy.

but on my i7-3770k, 16GB RAM, 650 ti -desktop it was a different story. premiere felt much better opposed to fcpx. i got 79s on my desktop and around 180s on my macbook air for the brucex test, but in many instances my macbook air actually feels faster. isnt that super weird?

do you guys think that this could be because of the nvidia graphics card? for a moment i though about getting an original apple computer, but i should probably just try something from ATI before throwing my hackintosh out of the window.

i really wanted a gtx 960 because im a big fan of its efficiency and it seems to hold up against a 280x in performance at only 50% of its power usage. but because of this thread im now considering a 280x instead.

any other recommandations?
in FCPX an R9 280x will leave the nVidia card eating dust 3x distance behind. FCPX will be much faster on an AMD/ATI GPU

thank you for the feedback. highly appreciated :)

is the 280x a solid choice? or does a cheaper offer similar or a slightly more expensive offer much better performance in fcpx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back