Contribute
Register

EFIClone - automatic backup of the EFI partition

I ran Carbon Copy and this was the error result:

Task: CCC Backup Task

Start time: 2023-12-17 17:13:55-0800

Error codes: 3195 : 0 : 0

Error: The postflight shell script exited with a non-zero exit status

Advice: Verify that you can run the script manually without errors, and that it has a shell interpreter line at the top of the script (e.g. "#!/bin/sh"). Add "exit 0" to the end of your postflight script to suppress error reporting.
Lots of questions remain:
  • Which specific Mac Pro do you have?
  • Does it have built-in USB 3.0 ports?
  • Or is this a very old system without any USB 3.0 ports?
Are you booting into Mojave on your Mac Pro and trying to clone:
  • Monterey (in external USB 3.0 NVMe enclosure) -> to -> Mojave disk inside your Mac Pro?
  • The script may not work in Mojave (not tested in Mojave)
Or are you booting into Monterey on the external USB 3.0 enclosure and trying to clone:
  • Monterey (in external USB 3.0 NVMe enclosure) -> to -> Mojave disk inside your Mac Pro?

How can I just ADD an EFI file to the backup drive as since I’m not successful (yet). I know there are tools where I can just mount the EFI and copy over to the other one but I don’t want to make mistakes. I actually made this attempt and when I rebooted with the Option key down, what I saw was my 1 OC hard drive and TWO EFI files which is clearly wrong. I should have seen 2 OS with different hard drive names. I was able to go back and delete the NEW EFI that I created. I’ve seen the EFIs open as drives on my desktop… but it’s hard to tell which one is which? I did seen an empty folder initially.

Can I just “build and install” OC via OCLP to the backup drive (even tho it is merely the backup copy of what I’m now using?) and in that process it does ADD the missing EFI file? and to see if I’m successful, in the reboot, I should see 2 OS in the startup…

Amazing how much brain power is needed to use and operate OC! But it can be routine once it's properly installed. The only other OC-related problem I'm having is that the Dock becomes non-functional occasionally on startup. so I have to rebuild the Dock with a Kill Dock terminal command and then it operates normally.

Lots of questions remain:
  • Which specific Mac Pro do you have?
  • Does it have built-in USB 3.0 ports?
  • Or is this a very old system without any USB 3.0 ports?
Are you booting into Mojave on your Mac Pro and trying to clone:
Or are you booting into Monterey on the external USB 3.0 enclosure and trying to clone:

I have the Mac 5,1 3.33 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xenon, running Monterey 12.7.1, I don't have a built in USB 3.0 -- I'm using that via an PCI-e Card (StarTech) which has 4 ports. No, Mojave is the OLD OS that I upgraded from and TO Monterey. I opted not to go Sonoma for now. I cloned Mojave, and ran Monterey as an upgrade on top of the backup and it succeeded. Mojave is out of the picture. I'm trying to go from Monterey (SATA) to Monterey (NVMe) -- and now Mojave is out of the Mac. NVMe is a faster drive. Both drives are now internal. I've put aside the external USB NVMe drive. The most recent SuperDuper and CCC attempts were done with the internal drives.

Because Mac Pro 5,1 does not have NVMe (M.2) slots, are you using a PCIe add-in-card that provides M.2 slots?

A real Mac does not need OpenCore. The standard Apple booter should be able to detect both installations of Monterey.

Because Mac Pro 5,1 does not have NVMe (M.2) slots, are you using a PCIe add-in-card that provides M.2 slots?

A real Mac does not need OpenCore. The standard Apple booter should be able to detect both installations of Monterey.

yes, indeed I use a PCI-e card to mount the NVMe -- that's what I want to run from (I did it via Mojave) and currently I'm using a PCI-e Samsung SATA running the same OS...

yes, indeed I use a PCI-e card to mount the NVMe -- that's what I want to run from (I did it via Mojave) and currently I'm using a PCI-e Samsung SATA running the same OS...
A real Mac does not need:
  • EFI partition
  • OpenCore
We just clone Source to Destination.

Monterey is different from Mojave in significant ways. If we use Carbon Copy Cloner we need to enable Legacy Bootable Backup support. Have a look at Bullets 7 and 8 in Step 11. Click on the spoiler to open it:

However, if Monterey is already installed on NVMe, then there's no need to make any additional clone. Just remove the Monterey SATA disk or hold down Option key when booting -- this will open the Apple boot menu. See if both copies of Monterey are displayed.

Sorry, you've lost me -- I'm on a Mac Pro 2012 also known as Mac Pro 5,1 and I have to use OpenCore Legacy Patcher because this machine can only officially be run on Mojave without OC and I can't stay in Mojave as certain software already "knows" it's old and being deprecated, so I have upgraded to this newer OS for more current software and operations. And so far its going well but I want to make the NVMe the primary drive as I expect that to be faster, and that's why I'm trying to do this!

This should have been stated at the beginning because TonyMac is first and foremost a Hackintosh website. Even though I still have a Mac Pro 3,1 (which has been retired), I have no experience with OCLP to patch legacy Macs.

It may be better to post your question in an OCLP forum. MacRumors, for instance, has a lively discussion in their Mac Pro forum.

@CaseySJ where ever I go on this forum... I see you :)
I am a long time user of Super Duper. Tried and got the error message (Log SD)

"| 10:48:40 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Running shell script EFIClone.sh
| 10:48:40 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Invoking After Copy shell script: /Users/domhack/Documents/EFIClone.sh
| 10:48:40 AM | Info | EFIClone Script
| 10:48:41 AM | Info | SuperDuper
| 10:48:41 AM | Info | Dry Run (Y)
| 10:48:45 AM | Info | Mounting EFI source partition failed.
| 10:48:47 AM | Error | ***ERROR OCCURRED: ****FAILED****: result=512 errno=60 (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

If I look at the EFI clone log in my share user directory I get:
[Mon Dec 18 10:48:41 +07 2023] - TEST_SWITCH:
[Mon Dec 18 10:48:41 +07 2023] - Dry Run (Y)
[Mon Dec 18 10:48:45 +07 2023] - Mounting EFI source partition failed.

Any idea? I am not skilled enough to solve by myself.
Thanks again (and again...) for your invaluable contribution to the community !

Hello @MacArthur,

Some questions:
  • Are you using SuperDuper 3.8?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Are you using latest EFIClone.sh from my GitHub repo?
I saw this error a few times, but the error went away after a reboot. Does it still happen after a reboot?

Back