Contribute
Register

EFIClone - automatic backup of the EFI partition

I guess the error messages don't give you any clues to fixes? I will try again or just jump to CCC for ONCE and then use SuperDuper for future regular cloning

Ohhhh! I see what I DIDN'T DO! i did download the file itself, not the ZIP as you illustrated! I'll download the Zip and then UNZIP inside my Documents folder and then TRY AGAIN?! Thank you!

Using the proper shell script as unpacked via a ZIP file, the results are errors again but a very detailed list:

1:00:15 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Running shell script EFIClone.sh

| 01:00:15 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Invoking After Copy shell script: /Users/mynameishere/Documents/EFIClone-master/EFIClone.sh

| 01:00:15 PM | Info | EFIClone Script

| 01:00:15 PM | Info | SuperDuper

| 01:00:15 PM | Info | Dry Run (Y)

| 01:00:18 PM | Error | ***ERROR OCCURRED: 2023-12-17 13:00:18.489 diskutil[4208:73743] Error loading /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib: dlopen(/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib, 0x0106): tried: '/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib' (code signature in <D24149EA-863F-D1CD-16D7-698D36BB0E05> '/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.)

| 01:00:19 PM | Error | ***ERROR OCCURRED: 2023-12-17 13:00:19.118 diskutil[4224:73785] Error loading /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib: dlopen(/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib, 0x0106): tried: '/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib' (code signature in <D24149EA-863F-D1CD-16D7-698D36BB0E05> '/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.)

| 01:00:19 PM | Error | ***ERROR OCCURRED: 2023-12-17 13:00:19.118 diskutil[4224:73785] Error loading /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SATSMARTLib: ...
This is a third-party driver, which might be this one:

• What is the make/model of the destination disk?
  • Is it connected via FireWire?
  • Is the SATSMART driver necessary?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Is the SATSMART driver compatible with that version of macOS?

The SATSMART driver can be uninstalled as follows:
Uninstall
=========

* Remove driver and plugin
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTDriver.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin
sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTDriver.kext
sudo rm -r /Library/Extensions/SATSMARTLib.plugin
* Reboot

Oh okay, I see what's happening. In all these attempts at cloning, I decided to use an external USB drive that contains my Samsung NVMe SSD and it's connected to the back of the Mac Pro via my USB 3.0 PCI-e card. I opted to do it this way because my (old Mojave OS) is currently using the PCI-e card that is now inside the Mac Pro. My idea was to do the cloning via the external USB drive and when that's successful, I would open up the Mac Pro, take out the PCI-e card, remove the Mojave OS, add the newly cloned Monterey, put it back inside and reboot. And if all goes well THAT will become my Primary drive. Currently I'm using my backup drive, my Samsung SATA to drive this Mac.

But if I have to be successful in this backup, I guess I CAN now do all that while still using the SATA as my boot drive. If I can't do the shell script this way I'll install the NVMe properly. Thanks!

I'm using Monterey OS 12.7.1 and yes, this USB external works but I don't boot from it, or expect to be able to boot from it?

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
I decided to use an external USB drive that contains my Samsung NVMe SSD and it's connected to the back of the Mac Pro via my USB 3.0 PCI-e card.
This configuration should be natively supported in macOS. If I understand the purpose of SATSMART correctly, it simply adds S.M.A.R.T. monitoring capability. This driver is mostly likely optional. You could try uninstalling it (and rebooting), then try the SuperDuper clone process. SATSMART can always be reinstalled afterwards.

On the other hand, you can manually clone the EFI folder by mounting both the source and destination EFI partitions and simply copying the EFI folder from source to destination.

Presumably if I tried to use CCC to do the EFI cloning with my external USB/NVMe drive, that may fail too? It really has to be internal? I'll go that route and mount it to my PCI-e Card and do it properly!

Presumably if I tried to use CCC to do the EFI cloning with my external USB/NVMe drive, that may fail too? It really has to be internal? I'll go that route and mount it to my PCI-e Card and do it properly!
The same EFIClone.sh script is called whether we use SuperDuper or CCC. So the same problem will occur.

Again, is should be okay to install your Samsung NVMe SSD to an external USB 3.x enclosure, and connect the USB enclosure to your Mac through the PCIe add-in-card.

The only problem is the use of SATSMART library. It is this library that seems to be interfering with the EFIClone.sh script. You should be able to uninstall this library, reboot the computer, and run SuperDuper again.

This is becoming an epic! LOL! I moved the clone drive to the internal PCI-e card so there's no longer an external source. The error result is...

| 04:38:32 PM | Info | EFIClone Script

| 04:38:32 PM | Info | SuperDuper

| 04:38:32 PM | Info | Dry Run (Y)

| 04:38:36 PM | Info | Executing Dry Run

| 04:38:39 PM | Error | ***ERROR OCCURRED: ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=60 (No such process)

I ran Carbon Copy and this was the error result:

Task: CCC Backup Task

Start time: 2023-12-17 17:13:55-0800

Error codes: 3195 : 0 : 0

Error: The postflight shell script exited with a non-zero exit status

Advice: Verify that you can run the script manually without errors, and that it has a shell interpreter line at the top of the script (e.g. "#!/bin/sh"). Add "exit 0" to the end of your postflight script to suppress error reporting.

Back