Contribute
Register

EFIClone - automatic backup of the EFI partition

Hi :) SD 3.8 yes
Sonoma 14.3 (23D5033f) I know it's ß but I doubt it would be the culprit
I just DL your EFIClone 10 hours ago so I guess it's the latest.
I rebooted before running SD as you suggested.

Let's reboot again and run SD again. I'll keep you posted.Thanks!

Hello @MacArthur,

Some questions:
  • Are you using SuperDuper 3.8?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Are you using latest EFIClone.sh from my GitHub repo?
I saw this error a few times, but the error went away after a reboot. Does it still happen after a reboot?

yes, I'm using SD 3.8 and it's Monterey 12.7.1 I'm using OC 1.30 and yes, I'm using your latest EFIClone.sh

I've just done an new erase of the backup drive (to become primary) and a new CLONING with SD without the script, I attempted to build and install OC into that drive and it hasn't worked either! I got 1 HD, 2 EFI "black badges" and 1 EFI with 2 hard drives on top of each other, I clicked on that, and was able to get back to my OS. What I want to see on Option startup are 2 HDs paired with 2 EFIs for them, so that I can choose the new primary OC hard drive. I'm not there yet!

When Open Core asks me "which hard drive do you want to apply OC," I CHOOSE the NVMe where it's supposed to go! Its the only other bootable OS drive that's there!

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out, which happens when the source and destination volume names are the same. This problem has now been fixed.

Please download the latest EFIClone that was just checked in.

View attachment 576120
Thanks CaseySJ! Everything works great!
Just a question:
for the next stepwise smart update, is it necessary to run EFIClone.sh by 'run a shell script after the copy is complete' or just deactivate it, by unchecking it?

Last edited:
Thanks CaseySJ! Everything works great!
Just a question:
for the next stepwise smart update, is it necessary to run EFIClone.sh by 'run a shell script after the copy is complete' or just deactivate it, by unchecking it?
Because we update OpenCore approximately once per month when new versions are released, it's not strictly necessary to clone the EFI partition every time we run an incremental backup.

So it's okay to uncheck or deactivate the script for stepwise (incremental) backups, but we should remember to enable the script whenever we update OpenCore.

Although I did succeed adding an EFI file (I ended up just building and installing OC to the drive, and using Clover Configurator I could SEE that the files are there) what I've now discovered is that my backup drive is not (yet) bootable. It's not recognized in Startup Disk as an OS drive. Apparently CCC has a Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant that will make this possible -- SuperDuper apparently doesn't do this for that drive -- you have to erase that drive and start fresh under that copying. And then I assume another EFI file has to be added (I'll probably just run OC again and then reboot) so that the backup becomes a primary drive that I want.

How we can boot from SuperDuper backup disk?
I have corrupted Sonoma and can't be able to restore from my Superduper backup. I tried it to restore from another internal volume with working Sonoma, but I got the error 'Failed to copy files from backup...'
How can I do is correctly, I never used SuperDuper befor since I had previously only used CCC or TimeMachine.
How to start Hachintosh via Backup/Superduper?

Attachments

• Screen01.png
    Screen01.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 33
How we can boot from SuperDuper backup disk?
We press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu, then select the external backup disk. Does the backup disk boot properly?

We press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu, then select the external backup disk. Does the backup disk boot properly?
I use an internal ssd for BackUp and I've never tried starting from it.

I use an internal ssd for BackUp and I've never tried starting from it.
You should try booting the backup SSD to make sure it works. In other words, we have to boot from the source disk in order to copy it to a destination disk.

I would actually recommend the following:
  • Find a spare SSD or purchase a spare SSD -- it does not have to be large or expensive
  • Install the spare SSD into an external USB enclosure and connect it to the computer
  • Now boot from the backup disk
  • Format the new spare SSD with Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Run SuperDuper while still booted from the backup SSD
  • Copy the backup SSD to the new spare SSD
In other words, do not touch the original SSD until you are absolutely certain that SuperDuper is working properly.

You should try booting the backup SSD to make sure it works. In other words, we have to boot from the source disk in order to copy it to a destination disk.

I would actually recommend the following:
  • Find a spare SSD or purchase a spare SSD -- it does not have to be large or expensive
  • Install the spare SSD into an external USB enclosure and connect it to the computer
  • Now boot from the backup disk
  • Format the new spare SSD with Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Run SuperDuper while still booted from the backup SSD
  • Copy the backup SSD to the new spare SSD
In other words, do not touch the original SSD until you are absolutely certain that SuperDuper is working properly.
I tried to make new backup copy from working Sonoma, but get everytime error: ×Failed to copy files from Sonoma to SuperDuper Test

here is form Log: Volume replication failed - error 49244 | Error | *ERROR OCCURRED: *FAILED*: result=256 errno=60 (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

Screenshot.png

Back