i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone

I reinstalled Yosemite 10.10.4 on my mATX build yesterday morning.

So far, some things have been a little buggy, such as:
  • Booting up (error screen shown below) I had to restart four times this morning to reach the login screen. This seems to have worsened since I used MultiBeast to reinstall Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892 audio Kext
  • Sound acting up when computer comes out of sleep mode, then stopped altogether, see above
  • Magic mouse sometimes jumps to top left of screen when raised off of mouse mat
  • I don't know if my graphics card is working as it should

I followed this thread for MultiBeast setup advice.

I do see posts with similar issues, but they're all dated from 2010 – 2013, so I thought maybe a new thread would help others with the same issue(s).

Boot up/sound Issue

Sunday-morning.JPG

So my build seems to be quite temperamental when booting up, I either get a panic error, or a black screen with mouse cursor in top left of screen, as I said above, this appears to have worsened since I reinstalled the sound ALC892 kext. The audio port on my motherboard doesn't seem to work, but there's an audio port on the front of my case (Sharkoon MA-M1000 Micro ATX Case) that works.

Mouse/bluetooh

My mouse seems to have difficulty connecting sometimes once the OS has loaded (although on my last install it was the Keyboard that had difficulty). If I lift the mouse at all, the cursor sometimes jumps to the top left of the screen. I've discovered an easy solution to this is to simply plug out/in the bluetooth adaptor (IOGEAR USB micro adaptor), it's within arms reach, but I'd rather avoid this.

Graphics Card

This one might sound silly, but I'm still relatively new to custom builds. So, my monitor is plugged into my EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 card, but I've not installed any Nvidia drivers, so is it being properly utilised?

Finally, are there any rules/best practices I should be aware of for when you have successfully installed/booted your hack? I've installed a few apps and I've submitted this thread whilst using my new hack, but I'm hesitant to go and install all the apps I want in case it starts acting up again.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated as always, hopefully this thread will benefit anyone else with a similar build too.

Relatively new to building as well so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I had similar issues yesterday with a new build with GT 740, and installing the Nvidia web drivers solved my startup and restart issues.

I've had some audio issues after coming back from sleep, this thread has some ideas for how to get it back without restarting.

Not sure about your other issues but hope that helps some.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried one of the sound fixes from that post you shared, but I can't even boot up now. I'll have to reinstall the OS again and try the sound/video fix straight away. I'm getting so fed up with this crap, there'll no doubt be new problems when I'm finished with the next reinstall. I shouldn't complain though, I knew exactly what I was getting myself in for :problem:

I guess it's an opportunity to try a different MultiBeast setup and see how that affects things.

I occasionally have the same BT mouse problem. My solutions is to unplug the BT USB dongle when it happens for about a count of 10, and then reinsert it into the USB connector. :thumbup:

I occasionally have the same BT mouse problem. My solutions is to unplug the BT USB dongle when it happens for about a count of 10, and then reinsert it into the USB connector. :thumbup:

That's how I deal with it too, but in my experience, I don't have to count to ten, simply plugging it out and then immediately back in fixes it. I'd like to avoid this altogether though, if possible.

On my second install, the BT mouse bug was much more stable, but since I need to reinstall the OS again, I don't know how it will behave. I'll post another update when I've it back up and running again.

Okay, so I finally got around to trying these fixes. I had to reinstall the OS and since then, I haven't experienced the sound issue at all, but iMessage doesn't work, which I'm really not bothered about, to be honest.

With the Nvidia driver installed and selected, my build not recognises the exact card I'm using, and it seems to have noticeably decreased boot times/Kernels. However, earlier in the week my computer started freezing, with similar symptoms as described on this thread except that I'm not doing anything extensive at all, Memory Clean tells me I've got 11.29GB of RAM free as I type this. I ran Disc Utility and repaired some permissions and since then I've experienced no freezing, so fingers crossed that's that fixed. I'll continue playing around and see how it behaves over the next few hours.

The Bluetooth issue still happens occasionally, which is irritating, but all things considered, I think I can live with that.

------ UPDATE ------

So the sound issue still exists, but the freezing got progressively worse, I just ended up wiping the SSD again and reinstalling the OS. On this install ( I think it's my 5th or 6th install now), iMessage, Find my mac and Facetime all setup successfully. I installed the Nvidia driver immediately after the MultiBeast installs (which enables my hack to bootup stably without verbose mode), so far there's been no freezing, but it seems to be something that happens after a week or so of usage, I would assume it's probably something to do with installing more apps?

I know it's a bit of a vague description of events, but has anyone else experienced this and are there any solutions to stop this from happening again, it's not going to be much use to me if I can't rely on it to do any work without freezing :cry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back