Contribute
Register

Cannot install Windows 8.1 UEFI on GPT HDD to dual boot with Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for the reply. I gave up and went for El Capitan on one disk and WIN & Linux on a 2nd one. Somehow I managed to setup everything good on the same drive and Clover offered me boot options for all of them but I wanted to re-do it so I can documented the process. This time it didn't work and its really funny that I have Capitan working but Windows make my life hard lol Again thank you, really appreciate ur time.
Another thing you can try:
Boot to Windows installer and F10 to get a command window
Use gparted to
a: clean the drive
b: convert the drive to gpt
c: create an efi partition size=200MB or larger - I suggest 300
then exit gparted
back at the Windows installer, create 2 partitions, one for Windows, one for OS X, format them NTFS and install Windows
on one of them, suggest the first one.
once Windows installed, boot the OS X installer and at the first screen run disk utility and erase the partition for OS X HFS+
Install OS X.

This accomplishes 3 things:
1. it ensures a large enough efi partition so OS X installer will not refuse to install OS X,
2. it puts the efi partition as the first partition on the drive so OS X disk utility will not complain and
3. it puts Windows on the first partition of the drive after the reserved partitions and makes Windows update happy.

That did the trick for me. I formatted the Windows partition under Disk Utilities to Mac Journal and left it there. I called it Win
Booted into Windows Installer. Deleted the partition. Used the Windows installer to create a new partition then format then it proceeded. Thank you guys for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back