Contribute
Register

Bluetooth Adapter not showing up in Windows, but Apple WIRELESS Keyboard and Trackpad are working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Box
CPU
Intel Core i3-4330
Graphics
MSI Nvidia GTX760 2GB OC/TF, Intel HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I hooked up an original Apple Bluetooth adapter to my motherboard (using a linear voltage regulator 5V => 3.3V) and it works great with my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad on OS X 10.9 and even within the Clover Boot loader and BIOS/EFI (only keyboard in BIOS but that is okay)!!!!

Then I tried installing Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Bootcamp, which more or less worked (i had to make new GPT partitions with windows and i got an error on the first boot saying that bootcamp is not compatible with this machine bla bla...). During the entire setup and after booting Windows for the first time both magic trackpad and wireless keyboard are working (no multitouch gestures or tap to click though). Because both devices are working I believe bootcamp drivers were installed together with the OS.

But when I tried to find the bluetooth settings, i couldn't find anything related to bluetooth whatsoever: no bluetooth adapter in the device manager, no bluetooth tray icon, no bluetooth in control panel, no way to add bluetooth devices...but still both my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad just work like 'magic'.

Does anyone know what is going on and/or how I can use the Bluetooth Adapter in Windows in the way it is supposed to work? And How do I get "tap to click", "2-Finger-Tap to right-click" and "2-Finger-Scolling" working in Windows?

Thanks in advance!

My Build: i3-4330, GA-Z87m-D3H, 8GB, GTX760, 2x840EVO SSD (one for OS X the other for Win), OS X 10.9, Clover UEFI bootlader, Win8.1 Pro x64 UEFI Install, Original Apple Bluetooth Adapter (from an A1181 Macbook, CSR Chip)

You boot Win8, download the Windows drivers for your BT device and install them.
You can install Win8 on a PC-Mac, but BootCamp is for Mac's only, which is why you got the error message. It has to do with the drivers needed on a Mac, but not on a PC to run Windows, which is why you are recommended to disconnect your OS X hdd when installing Windows unless you are installing on same HDD, in which case see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

You boot Win8, download the Windows drivers for your BT device and install them.
You can install Win8 on a PC-Mac, but BootCamp is for Mac's only, which is why you got the error message. It has to do with the drivers needed on a Mac, but not on a PC to run Windows, which is why you are recommended to disconnect your OS X hdd when installing Windows unless you are installing on same HDD, in which case see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Thanks. You were right about the error message, but the win8 installation actually worked with bootcamp (using the usb installer that bootcamp created, disconnecting other hard drives). I tried an older Bootcamp 4 driver (AppleBluetoothEnablerInstaller64.exe) that was missing in Bootcamp 5 and then Windows recognized my bluetooth adapter. After removing the pairing with OS X (I don't know why this was necessary, but it won't connect to Windows otherwise), first pairing with Windows and then pairing with OS X again, both bluetooth keyboard and trackpad finally work on both Windows and OS X!!

Your bluetooth adapter is probably in "HID Proxy" mode - in this mode, it is detected by Windows/Mac as a regular USB keyboard/mouse, and also stores your bluetooth devices' IDs internally, so, it pairs to them on start-up without any need for OS or drivers.

HID Proxy mode can be enabled/disabled by using bluetooth chipset-specific tools.
I wish I had such a nice bluetooth adapter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back