Contribute
Register

Black Screen When Waking up From Sleep and Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Okay, I see. To answer your question about how this started, the day before I started having all these issues, several things happened. First, I installed The "Logitech Options" application by Logitech in order to optimize the buttons on my mouse. Second, I installed Python 3.7.0. This updated the Python 2 version that MacOS normally runs. Third, I was doing some rendering after having installed both of these things and I ran into a complete freeze. I could't move my mouse or do anything at all. The computer completely froze and stayed like that for hours. I eventually ended up holding the power button to turn the computer off and when I tried restarting it, I began running into all the issues that I described above.

So overall, I didn't change anything in the EFI folder, but I did update several programs. Also, I DID use google chrome to download these programs. I hope this helps give some context. Any idea what could have caused the issues?

-Thomas

Hi there.

Well there seems to be two "events" here that might be pointers to the problem:

1) Google Chrome has been identified - and acknowledged by Google - as causing a system permissions problem through its Keystone. This has caused boot failure and black-screen crashes. There is an "official" workaround/fix and here is a link to our discussion about it with a Terminal script to do the job and remove the offending bundle.

The full thread now has 5x pages but begins here if you want to read more.

2) Check the file dates on your Logitech drivers to check they are appropriate to the macOS version.

:)

Hi there.

Well there seems to be two "events" here that might be pointers to the problem:

1) Google Chrome has been identified - and acknowledged by Google - as causing a system permissions problem through its Keystone. This has caused boot failure and black-screen crashes. There is an "official" workaround/fix and here is a link to our discussion about it with a Terminal script to do the job and remove the offending bundle.

The full thread now has 5x pages but begins here if you want to read more.

2) Check the file dates on your Logitech drivers to check they are appropriate to the macOS version.

:)

Ok, I booted into safe mode and uninstalled both chrome and the logitech program, however it is still not letting me boot into macOS. It seems like booting with the integrated graphics is the easiest, since I somehow managed to do it before. Once I boot into macOS (not in safe mode) I will be able to edit my EFI partition and hopefully get the GPU working again. This is the current error I keep running into when trying to boot with the iGPU. Any idea what "unexpected payload found for message 9, dataLen 0" means?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
Ok, I booted into safe mode and uninstalled both chrome and the logitech program, however it is still not letting me boot into macOS. It seems like booting with the integrated graphics is the easiest, since I somehow managed to do it before. Once I boot into macOS (not in safe mode) I will be able to edit my EFI partition and hopefully get the GPU working again. This is the current error I keep running into when trying to boot with the iGPU. Any idea what "unexpected payload found for message 9, dataLen 0" means?

Thanks!

No. The payload error looks to be network related so shouldn't actually stop a boot from completing. The actual error stalling boot here is the last line - related to the GPU - internal or external.

So sorry, we're going back to what we were talking about at the beginning. Nothing has changed, sadly.

As nothing I am suggesting is making any difference then check other things.

For example -

1) Remove "FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext" and test without.

2) Change system-definition to one known to be stable if not perfect for your hardware, for example: iMac14,2. Another worth testing is iMac19,1 as it is very close, hardware-wise (remember to disconnect from the Internet while testing these. Your serial-numbers will change and confuse Apple's servers. You can change them back manually if you have any success).

No. The payload error looks to be network related so shouldn't actually stop a boot from completing. The actual error stalling boot here is the last line - related to the GPU - internal or external.

So sorry, we're going back to what we were talking about at the beginning. Nothing has changed, sadly.

As nothing I am suggesting is making any difference then check other things.

For example -

1) Remove "FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext" and test without.

2) Change system-definition to one known to be stable if not perfect for your hardware, for example: iMac14,2. Another worth testing is iMac19,1 as it is very close, hardware-wise (remember to disconnect from the Internet while testing these. Your serial-numbers will change and confuse Apple's servers. You can change them back manually if you have any success).

FIXED! I ended up physically removing the GPU and booting from the USB installer drive, using the IGPU EFI from the article I linked above. This let me mount the EFI on my boot drive and replace it with the IGPU EFI.

The hack is now running perfectly, using the integrated graphics. I'm going to see if there's something wrong with the GPU physically, but at least I now have a working hack. Thanks for all the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back