Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z390-i
CPU
Intel 9900k
Graphics
AMD Vega 64
Hello,

I've had my hackintosh working for about four months. This past week I moved to college and took my hack with me. For the first few days it worked fine but then I started running into issues where the screen would remain black or say "no signal" when I tried to wakeup the computer from sleep mode. The fans would start but nothing would appear on the screen.

In addition, there are times where when I put the hack to sleep, the fans will stop running as soon as it sleeps but then three seconds later start again, with a black screen. In this situation, the fans run without stopping for hours but the screen still remains black, no matter what I do.

I've tried holding down the power button until the computer forcefully shuts down and then starting it there. The current issue I'm facing is that now the computer only shows a black screen whenever I power it on. I don't even see the bios screen nor clover so I cannot boot into macOS nor run clover in verbose mode because absolutely nothing appears on the screen. The only times it manages to boot into the bios is when it boots in safe mode, which is ocasional. Currently my computer is off and every time I try to turn it on I get a black screen.

My hack components are listed below. What should I do? Thanks!

Mobo: Asus Strix z390i
CPU: 9900k
GPU: AMD Vega 64

Hi,

When it boots into safe mode, I am able to get clover to load. I was able to run macOS with verbose mode on and this is the last thing that appears on the screen before it switches to the Apple logo with a progress bar beneath it for like 2 seconds and then it becomes a black screen.

Any idea what this means? What kind of error is it running into?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 1.15.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 1.15.55 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
Hi, I've tried to start the computer several more times with verbose mode on and every time I gets to this point and then the screen turns black, the fans slow down, and it is stuck in this black screen/low fan mode indefinitely. I've attached photos of the verbose mode text for four different start ups. What is going on that is causing this?

I've taken a look at the verbose mode text myself and it says that "Controller::addSubscriptionForThisReporterFetchedOnTimer() Failed to addSubscription for group interface p2p8 subgroup data packets driver"...etc. Could this be the issue? It always stops booting at around this point.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.49.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.49.19 AM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.49.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.49.47 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.50.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.50.15 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.50.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 12.50.38 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
I have the same "issue" with the fans and the black screen. But its not really a hard problem like u have... when I turn my hack into sleep mode, I can wake him up with my mouse or keyboard... but without any signal on my HDMI monitor. I have to push several times SHIFT CMD DELETE or ESC, then the screen shows up.

I also mention that the fans start turning after a while in standby. Seems normal on my build. To wake up I have to push the combination above...

I would suggest this is a GPU problem, judging by the verbose text.

So, do you have the standard Radeon settings or kexts installed? I guess so.

In which case, check this post out and do similar searches :thumbup:

Ok, good to know that it's a GPU problem. I followed this guide step by step: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sapphire-rx580-pulse-build.272572/#Components.

My EFI folder is the DGPU EFI folder that is attached to that posting. Should I try the IGPU EFI folder, so that I don't use the graphics card?

Of course you can use someone else's EFI if you are happy to do that and it helps.

The only difference between that OP's two EFIs - DGPU and IGPU - is the System Definition he has used in each. Nothing else. The iGPU version uses iMac18,1 and has been suggested because it is a basic i5 machine with no extra GPU. The DGPU version uses iMac19,1 series which does have discrete Radeon GPUs and matches your hardware better. So does 19,2 though it is often a tricky one to use.

Did you try that code segment in the post I linked to previously?

Of course you can use someone else's EFI if you are happy to do that and it helps.

The only difference between that OP's two EFIs - DGPU and IGPU - is the System Definition he has used in each. Nothing else. The iGPU version uses iMac18,1 and has been suggested because it is a basic i5 machine with no extra GPU. The DGPU version uses iMac19,1 series which does have discrete Radeon GPUs and matches your hardware better. So does 19,2 though it is often a tricky one to use.

Did you try that code segment in the post I linked to previously?

I see. To be honest, I'm quite new to hackintoshing. How would I go about adding that text patch you linked to my EFI folder. Do I do it through clover bootloader? Thanks! Also, when I try reinstalling MacOS from my boot drive, I am able to reach the install screen. The progress bar says 35 minutes remaining. It then seems to be reinstalling MacOS for about five minutes and then the following verbose text appears (view attached screenshot) and then the screen goes black. Then the computer reboots and I am stuck in this same cycle. If I try to reinstall MacOS again, I will get the blackscreen and reboot and be back to the install macOS screen. I've also attached my EFI folder.

-Thomas

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
  • EFI.zip
    23.1 MB · Views: 94
I see. To be honest, I'm quite new to hackintoshing. How would I go about adding that text patch you linked to my EFI folder. Do I do it through clover bootloader? Thanks! Also, when I try reinstalling MacOS from my boot drive, I am able to reach the install screen. The progress bar says 35 minutes remaining. It then seems to be reinstalling MacOS for about five minutes and then the following verbose text appears (view attached screenshot) and then the screen goes black. Then the computer reboots and I am stuck in this same cycle. If I try to reinstall MacOS again, I will get the blackscreen and reboot and be back to the install macOS screen. I've also attached my EFI folder.

-Thomas

Hi. No problem. This type of thing is sometimes hard to pin down so might need a little experimentation. Remember before doing any experiments to save/back-up any vital data in case anything goes wrong etc.:thumbup:

Well it still looks like a GPU problem. Your config.plist looks relatively clean and I don't spot anything that would prevent boot. Except ... maybe that GFX rename:

K3a.jpg

I might be wrong but it doesn't seem right for your set-up unless you are using your iGPU as primary etc. I don't have a Vega 64 myself, but am just surprised that this would be needed (let me know if you have seen the advice elsewhere etc). To experiment you can delete that section. Your choice etc.

To edit-in that other code segment then use a plain-text editor so as not to add any formatting characters etc. It should also save as "plist" not "txt" etc.:

K2.jpg

If none of that works -

Can you boot using your UniBeast installer drive? Use the BIOS boot menu to select the USB drive and when Clover comes up select the main SSD/HDD drive.

:)

Okay,
I tried booting from my UniBeast installer, because currently, I don't have access to the EFI folder on my hackintosh's boot drive, since I can't boot into macOS. I've attached the updated EFI folder on my unibeast installer flash drive. Anyway, when I booted from it, It took me to the clover boot menu and I selected Install MacOS. The Mojave installer pops up with the typical progress bar saying ~25 mins left, but then when it reaches the end, the screen goes black, my GPU's fan turns completely off, as if the computer was off, so I pressed the power button to turn the computer back on but instead of starting the fans, the computer turned off. Turns out it wasn't actually off when the fans stopped running. Why is this? Did I interrupt the MacOS installation process by turning it off? Any ideas as to what I should do next?

Thanks!
Thomas

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0990.jpeg